Agnostic.com

135 12

How do you deal with Christmas?

Serious question, and one I'm sure gets asked every year...how do you guys deal with the social conventions that surround Christmas? 95% of the people, I know, celebrate Christmas and the other 5% celebrate things like Yule; Solstice; Hannukah; etc. What if you just don't care about all of the hype and commotion that leads up to this day? I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and insights on this.

AgnosticJeff 4 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (126 - 135)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My late wife was the house decorator,after her passing,I had all of the decorations given away,too many memories,before we married,I looked at the Holidays as just another day,nothing special,this Thanksgiving and Christmas will be my 3rd with out her, 27 years(26 good ones).....

I'm extremely sorry to hear that, Mike. Just know that you're a stronger man than I. Although I'm divorced, I don't believe I could handle a situation like that. I wish you the very best.

@AgnosticJeff It was tough,but I was an old bachelor of 43 when I married for the first time,I went into the USAF a year out of High School,during my two enlistments,I was like a roaming Gypsy,maybe at one base for 6 months or less,never long enough to find a good Woman and put down roots.Got out in 1974, found some low paying jobs,dating was difficult on $2.85 an hour for my first job.Not until I got the Aerospace job was I able to do a wife hunt.

I was my late wife's 3rd husband,to those she knew, I was "Third times the charm".27 years flew by (26 good ones) my wife was diagnosed with lung cancer on our 26th wedding anniversary August 23rd 2016,she was gone in 13 months time. I have my memories now......

I enjoy a tree with lights aglow, holiday music, and people acting a little bit nicer . But I also feel loneliness and loss in the holiday season. It’s a challenge and a struggle. I fight to keep the good moments on top and sorrow at bay.

I'm somewhat in a similar situation and I hope we can both find the strength to push through this time of year.

share gifts, food, and time, The winter solstice has been celebrated for at least 10,000 years, a few days earlier or later is irrelevant. We actually don't celebrate any holiday, it's just the time when people have time off so we take advantage.

Enjoy and grateful for the family time. Ignore the reason.

Good answer

@AgnosticJeff truthiness

the same way i dealt with it before i was an atheist, since i am jewish: i feel isolated, i feel inundated, i feel put-upon, and i hate it. it makes the world assume i am a happy christian and fond of red and green. it makes the world assume that christmas is for everyone, oh it's not a religious holiday, wait, let's put the christ back in christmas -- how does THAT dichotomy work? i want to sleep for a couple months. i want to go out and torment a reindeer. it makes me want to rip apart a vermont teddy bear. it makes me want to shove a tree up someone's ass.

g

This is kind of how I feel...like it's forced on me, whether I want to deal with it or not. There's no real retreat from it, either...it's on the TV, radio, internet, you name it. I'd love to be able to go into "hibernation", starting November 1st and coming out of it around December 27th.

i see lots of folks considering it a time for family to gather. that's legit. it doesn't work for me, though. i'm old, family is far-flung or dead, i'm too poor to go visit anyone, and the day itself is not only meaningless to me but rife with triggers (see above) so... i wish y'all joy of your food and family and i am not being sarcastic, but i won't be doing that.

g

@AgnosticJeff If you find a safe cave, let me know!

g

I’m a horrible atheist, I flipping love Christmas! I’m putting up my tree this weekend.

Ha! I love it too. I go whole hog, tree, lights everywhere, presents etc.

@GreatNani SAME

Fun family time. Nothing more.

It's just a time for family, and fun and food and good times, stop over thinking it, I for one have never felt forced to acknowledge jesus on Christmas and to anyone that trys to call me a hypocrite I just tell them its a pagan celebration first and a commercial enterprise at that and it pretty much shuts them up.

I treat it just like actually most do - as a family holiday and excuse to see people do not normally see. Oh and to take a break from work and relax. If someone gives me free time off, I will not complain as long as there are no strings attached. Besides, its a good excuse to celebrate the real holiday on 12/25: Newtonmas! Yes it is actually Sir Isaac Newton's birthday (at least on the older Julian calendar used when he was born). I send out Newtonmas cards too -- but they need to be bought well in advance because for some reason not everyone stocks them, go figure?

Do not work temporarily job at Walmart garden center during holiday.

Word Level 8 Nov 8, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.