Agnostic.com

135 12

How do you deal with Christmas?

Serious question, and one I'm sure gets asked every year...how do you guys deal with the social conventions that surround Christmas? 95% of the people, I know, celebrate Christmas and the other 5% celebrate things like Yule; Solstice; Hannukah; etc. What if you just don't care about all of the hype and commotion that leads up to this day? I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and insights on this.

AgnosticJeff 4 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Traditional with my children and grandchildren - tree, presents,etc

I haven't liked xmus since I was a kid and had to go to church on my birthday (it's xmus eve and I was warped a catholick...)
I usually ignore the hype while enjoying the food (I love fish), but get disgusted by the overindulgence and marketing that capitalism pukes on us during the "holidaze"... sometimes I'll reply "hail Satan" to "merry christmas" just to piss off the fake ones... we Atheists know that neither the christ nor The Satan existed, and surely not some fairy tale cloud- floating fuck that likes to kill babies and collect foreskins as a hobby..... my 2 cents for the boatman's fare, coz imma going to hades, if it even exists....
....naw, it's just another fairy tale to scare children at night and to keep the people quiet so those in power might reap the benefit if exploiting an already oppressed populace.....

Same way I deal with Halloween even though I'm not wiccan. Just enjoy the pageantry and food and stay away from the churches. I give gifts to my family and friends, decorate my household, and have a few Christmas songs I like. It's just a holiday like any other, and each individual is free to choose what meaning they personally attribute to it, or what features they participate in.

My late partner's favorite holiday was April 1st. She could play some mean tricks and did one for me. Luckily I am mild mannered.

When we got married our first Christmass had all the usual decorations. She had an artificial tree and her ornaments + mine were set out. I even strung lights (blue and green with the message "Bah Humbug" ). Afterward we thought, "what were we thinking?" Luckily her youngest son wanted all the stuff so we sent it to him and never celebrated the faux holiday again. She was a teacher and got several weeks off so we often went somewhere.

Barbecue with family, having fun with drunk uncles cursing on young cousins.
Gifts that spread chaos (noisy things, water guns or those merf guns to carry young members of the family and anonymous naughty stuff for the most religious members)

Have in mind that December in Brazil is summer, Christmas eve can be over 30°C.

A neighbor has a bonfire on winter solstice for people to burn shit from the previous year and drink his home brew (good stuff). If I manage to see family or some other event for Xmas, then alcohol is involved.

Eat, drink and be merry ....just like everyone else. It’s a holiday, I enjoy it, even the carol singing..especially the carol singing, as I’m a choral singer! We were an atheist household, even in my childhood, and we always celebrated Christmas with present giving and the usual festive cheer, why should we miss out on it?

My daughter and her kids live a couple of hundred miles away. I send her money in early December for their Christmas. Then I try and get through it. When my kids were little and living here, I went all out. Since my son's death in '01, my heart went out on the whole thing.

Just enjoy the secular part of Christmas and ignore the baby Jesus, star of Bethlehem, three wise men, virgin Mary nonsense.

BD66 Level 8 Nov 9, 2019

Christmas is consistent with a culturally costly monetary commercial business propaganda to entice people to spend money they often don't have. In our Christian civilization the masses have been conditioned, mostly by upbringing, to the point of feeling obligated to celebrate Christmas based on a myth so that society can be controlled in perpetuation.

Just go with the flow

I wake up, get out of bed, drag a comb across my head. That being said I attempt to take a photograph of the solstice sunset over Lake Erie some years that works and sometimes it doesn't, we still put up lights we still put up a tree it brightens up the house, is there any Christian stuff there? no, I think not, we eat we party we have fun. And then on New year's I change all the batteries in the smoke alarms and remotes that way they're ready for another year of excitement. Everyday is what you decide to make of it. PARTY ON GARTH. 🌞

I look at it as a family day, like Thanksgiving but with presents instead of food. 🙂 I enjoy Christmas music, even the songs with religious lyrics; I just enjoy the melody and the memories rather than giving any weight to references to "Christ" or "angels"

I celebrate the Winter Solstice as it was intended. It’s the darkest (shortest) days of the year and early humans made up celebrations to get them through it. Yule log, decorated trees, lights, songs, drinks, evergreens, presents, all to distract from the darkness. Religions of the book try to steal the season from the pagans but I don’t let them. I say happy winter solstice or happy holidays. If someone gives me christian bullshit about it, I ask where in the Bible does it talk about decorating a tree and drinking eggnog?

To me Christmas is a day for family. We treat it as a non-religious holiday. A lot of aspects of Christmas are non-Christian anyway so there you are. I also think the debate on how to greet someone for the holidays is silly. I say just be happy they are greeting you in a friendly way. Making a big deal about them not being "politically correct " is kind of childish. I say greet everyone how you want to and smile when they return in kind or however they greet you. It's supposed to be a time for peace and warmth and families.

Yes, yes and yes!

I largely ignore it. If someone mentions it, I ignore it or steer the conversation away. I consider it a success if i get people to not think about it or talk about. If someone "merry xmas"s me I say, "Inshallah!" LMAO!

About the same way Christians celebrate Halloween . Had a Halloween Party awhile back , and my Christian neighbors came as a witch and a vampire , and had a fun time . Yet no one ever asks Christians about celebrating Halloween. Christmas is a family celebration , whether you are a believer or not . It's what we grew up with . Just like Halloween , there are traditions and stories , and no reason we can't have fun , without taking things seriously .

This

By buying myself some treats, being glad the days are getting lighter and avoiding my parents’ offers to go to church. This year I’m going to the pub for an extortionate dinner.
I believe there is some fun to be had at work with days off and gifts.

It is mostly a secular holiday in the UK. although I believe that some churchgoers still attend a Christmas eve service.I doubt if even the kids at school enacting the nativity really know what it is supposed to represent, so eat drink and be merry.

I don't deal with it, I enjoy the party time. Who doesn't like to party???

Well, I used to celebrate it when my daughter was alive and as a reason for giving gifts and having a big feast, etc, NO REligion in it of course, but stopped it when she passed away in Jan.2001 until my nephew, Henry came on the scene in 2013, since neither his parents nor I are anything remote close to religiously inclined in any way, we simply do it for his benefit MINUS any references to religion.

The history of the holiday, which was actually a pagan holiday . . .
[historytoday.com]
Christmas is used to sell christianity, just like a whole lot more of their paraphernalia - I do not celebrate it, I consider it nothing but one more tool in their long list of tools to gather more sheep.

Take your days off. Do fun stuff. Go back to work. Nothing else applies.

Personally, I enjoy xmas... it’s never been a religious celebration to/for me. I have great memories from my childhood... my children, family, friends... of course I hear the baby Jesus stories... yeah, yeah, yeah, I just smile, say cheers, have another cocktail. I still decorate a tree (fake) and all the other junk, good excuse for a gathering of friends, less decoration in recent years... thinking about it, I do much the same every day, just don’t do all the silly decorations.

Tomas Level 7 Nov 9, 2019

I made a compromise with my ex--she could have a christmas tree if I didnt have to have lights on the outside of my house

lerlo Level 8 Nov 8, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.