Agnostic.com

135 12

How do you deal with Christmas?

Serious question, and one I'm sure gets asked every year...how do you guys deal with the social conventions that surround Christmas? 95% of the people, I know, celebrate Christmas and the other 5% celebrate things like Yule; Solstice; Hannukah; etc. What if you just don't care about all of the hype and commotion that leads up to this day? I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and insights on this.

AgnosticJeff 4 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wish that I could leave the Country at Christmas time! In the past, just before thanksgiving.,.a horrible depression would set in and would last past New Year. At least I haven’t had that in the last few years!
I have learned to take that holiday period with a ‘grain of salt!’ I might display some tiny reminder of the season and if I am invited to functions with family and friends, I just enjoy myself, without even thinking of why! If I have my family over, I am afraid it want be ‘tinsel and tree’ ...as I don’t do that! Maybe, I would think twice if I had small children! I have lost most of my guilt over why i am like this about Christmas!

I hate the feeling of raining on other people's parade so to speak. I truly wish I could "fast forward" through all the commotion. Like you, I might display a reminder of the season. This year I've collected some lovely black beach stones and my rosemary is overgrown. The stones will line the bottom of a vase which will hold my (rosemary) greens and maybe some foraged berries for color. My gift list is small, however I still struggle with meaningful gifts. I don't feel guilty, just kinda lonely at heart and disconnected. Small favor: my husband is pretty much of the same mind as me. On a curious note our daughter is not baptized or otherwise connected to formal religion, yet she embraces the holidays full throttle. But by the same token she opens her heart and home to all who may need a place to stay. That warms me. I don't like this expression but "it's all good."

@MissOakley that sounds like a holiday I could be festive in! Happy holidays!

I handle it with food and presents!

I travel. Anyone is welcome to join me. Petra, Jordan, Morocco?

Fortunately my people don’t bother too much just have a family dinner and a few gifts for the children.

Now I’m in Australia from the Northen Hemisphere it seems just wrong celebrating in 40C so it doesn’t seem like Christmas anyway!

I haven't thought of Christmas as a religious holiday for a long time. But it is still a problem for me, It reminds me of my parents, who are gone, of my late wife and my good friends, The incessant calls from signs, stores and television to be happy, happy happy, while buying all sorts of crap I can't afford bothers and depresses me.
And then there are the Christmas Carols.
I am fortunate this year to have somebody to spend it with. This helps a ,lot.

That is about the same as I feel...except being alone doesn’t bother me anymore!

Working with the public for over 2 decades has sucked most of the fun out of it. It's good time to spend with family and friends. I just ignore the religious part of it these days and glad when it's over.

I participate in the celebration and ignore the religion.

I get invited to "holiday" parties. I can't remember the last time I was invited to a "Christmas" party. If they have food I go.

It doesn’t have to be about Jesus. I have a blast every Christmas with my atheist family. We exchange gifts, watch football, laugh, eat and drink. To me it’s about celebrating life & family in the midst of the coldest days.

We celebrate a typical holiday and we have a blast!

I am singing along wherever. Great fun.

i grew up celebrating. it’s a little weird now, but i don’t see any reason to give up my culture just because i’ve given up religion.

Just another wash day at my house.

I bid to work during the holidays. It gives coworkers with families an opportunity to get that time off. But I hope to be in a non Christian country. Hong Kong is best...all kinds of lights and cheer...but not a holiday so everything is open like any other day. New years is better. I may or may not put up a tree..depends on my schedule.

Oh and Europe is the worst. Everything closed except the schwarma shops. Hotel staff unhappy to have to make you food.

I don't celebrate holidays typically because I have no one to celebrate with, my family is dead so rip that. But I have some older friends to hang out with. No one my own age. They do their own thing with their friends and family, etc. It's only been lately that I've been able to do something for some of the holidays. 😛

Do you mean that Christmas holiday with decorated evergreens, Santa Claus, snowmen, Rudolph, candy canes, and exchanging gifts? That time of year was celebrated long before it was assigned as a religious holiday. If the term 'Christmas' is bothersome, call it the Yuletide holiday or anytbing you prefer. No need to miss out on the festivities because Christians claim it as thrir own. It doesn't belong to them exclusively.

Why do you want to find out how I deal with things in my life? Who sent you? Why? Who you work for? Who are you?

Santa Claus!😘

@Freedompath Like many other Latinos of Old... we Celebrated 3 Kings Day. I for once married a xmas day... so no wonder got divorce around a 4th of July. Never to be married again. But Nosy People are always asking questions... always. Always taking polls.

@GipsyOfNewSpain that’s a fact! Why do we need a report on every moment-to-moment of people’s opinions? We may all be going insane...lol

I celebrate any fun uplifting holiday without counting the religious part of it. 😁

Yes, the only way.

It's a great excuse to have a holiday. We celebrate Merry Xmas, where the X stands for whatever you want to celebrate. What we really like is celebrating the winter solstice. Actually, I'm a kinda heathen anyway.

The holiday is a pleasant thought helping and giving to others is not a bad thing getting along together, that's nice sentiments just ignore the religious aspects

I like the lights.

I enjoy the holiday season. That time from Thanksgiving through NYD. The friendship and goodwill that it provides even though it probably isn’t real. The decorations and music ,non religious of course, puts a smile on my face. Christmas was special growing up. It was not about Jesus. It was about family get togethers.
Of course Festivus is special too. 😁

Just another day.

Since my family relationships are chances on a good day, holidays are complicated. I take lots of ‘smoke breaks’ outside(I don’t smoke, lol, but I pretend I do, and they pretend to believe me). I stay as superficial as possible.
And I try to laugh.

Hang Christmas stockings I made for my daughter and her husband. Decorate with dolls made by my great aunts and uncles.

Set up a lighted village on the table. Make cranberry-apple chutney as gifts for friends and family.

Wrap presents, make a nice dinner, and celebrate with my daughter and her husband.

Since age 13, I have been an atheist. I celebrate the Winter Solstice. For me, Christmas is a time for winter cheer with family and friends.

Like the cardinal family pic.

You are amazing.

@BitFlipper

Thank you so much.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:424054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.