Agnostic.com

20 1

Greatest Story Ever Told???

Easter is next weekend and Jesus Christ Superstar will be on network TV advertised as "the greatest story ever told."
Actually a description I find to be true....a circulated rumor, a fictional narrative...
So - what's the greatest story you ever heard? Does telling children stories of Santa, Peter Cottontail, Tooth Fairy mess with their heads??
Do share your stories!

bonfirefromtx 5 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When my dad told a version of the grocery store scam to my grandma and she was so concerned and his face turns beet red cause he's laughing so hard...

[whattoexpect.com]

Lauxa Level 5 Mar 28, 2018

Do you remember that time Jesus died for your sins and then changed his mind?

I like "Game of Thrones" better. There's less violence and cruelty.

JimG Level 8 Mar 28, 2018

I love it, Have seen the broadway production three times and just love the music. It is the greatest story and myth ever told. The myth is the reality of how the dogma changes to accommodate aternative facts.

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 28, 2018

Okay, I have a confession to make, I do like some of the music from the broadway play - so don't hang me out to dry, okay? (I was actually thinking of saying something else, but not sure if it would be in poor taste.)

When you think about it, it is kind of ironic - He gets crucified on Friday, and comes out of the cave on April Fool's Day - "Just kidding, Folks!"

I haven' read the comments, so I don't know if someone thought of that already.... but it is kind of twisted. I think I've been awake too long today..

Easter Sunday is on April Fools day I am trying to think of a good one any thoughts very welcome!

All stories are just that

I would offer the original Grimm's Folklore & Fairytales as a lot better than the bible.

Here is a link to a free copy.

[google.com]

Stories are fiction....so it is the greatest STORY ever told.

That's easy... the Philadelphia Eagles winning Super Bowl LII !!! (kidding, maybe)
Now if we do it back to back to back, that would be the greatest story ever told... no joke.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 24, 2018

The greatest story ever told is Harry Potter. Behind that, I would say Radioland Murders, followed by the series, Supernatural.

How about The Greatest Story Never Told? I call it this because the NT appears to be 4 main writings of Jesus in which he is a bit different each time. The writers are not eye witnesses and the writings come long after the time of Jesus. Other than the fact that the Jews might have killed their own Messiah, what story exactly is being told here?
Jesus was put to death so you do not have to die, but you die anyway? Then they make up some more lies off of this nonsense. It just goes on and on. Whatever happened to Jeffrey Hunter anyway?

I vote for Cool Hand Luke.

I suppose people could consider it a great "story" if it wasn't so gruesome..all that bloody crudifiction, torture, and the idea that a god would inflict that kind of suffering on anyone, especially another god/son, seems ludicrously evil.

@Shawappa44820 LOL! At least the movie is entertaining.

The never ending story is way better it's got dragons in it !!!!

Beowulf beats the holy hell out of the Easter story. That and Jaws. Might be argued that they're almost the same story.
And messing with your kids' heads should sharpen their critical awarness. If not, ignore the weak ones and focus on the sharp ones. Natural selection and all that.

Good fiction is a ghost of reality. IMO Cosmos is the greatest story ever told. Even subordinate stories are amazing; although, people oriented people may yawn, but scientists are responsible for science and their stories are interesting. The Extremely Large Telescope (ELT) will have amirror about 39m in diameter (126 feet) that can make pictures 16 times sharper than the Hubble Space Telescope. It should be able to image exoplanets and analyze their atmosphere.

My son says I tell the best stories 🙂

His Favorite is Max 1 Million whom is a galactic defender that turns from hero to Superhero.

Used to think Wizard of Oz was the greatest. Personally love the music from JC Superstar- a friend of mine was in the movie - will probably watch it. At least a black man is playing JC and I love Alice Cooper as the bad guy. What was his name anyways?

Read my grandson the Wizard of Oz when he was 7. Then I found a collection of stories from Oz and have been reading them to him this year - he's 8. I never knew there were other books to Oz. Its been a lot of fun because I read a chapter a night before he goes to sleep. All of the stories are pretty entertaining.

I don't thing there's any harm is fiction. It's a way for the writer and audience to explore other ideas and situations in a safe and exciting way. We can learn a lot about ourselves and eachother from experience a story together (ie chatting with friends about the newest movie).
Stories can inspire growth, compassion, new technologies...
There have been forms of storytellers all through history.
As long as we don't start believing the stories as truth.

My mom told fictional stories to put my sister and I to sleep when we were camping. I liked them.

made up == fictional 🙂

@x0lineage0x Yeah, I know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42476
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.