Agnostic.com

26 2

Best Dating Site?

I will be getting back into the dating fame soon. What dating site do you think has the best success rate at finding a successful relationship?

What suggestions would you give me?

• 7 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 1 vote
RobertSmith 5 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dude, you landed here on this site, which advertises itself as a dating site. How could you leave it out? Online dating has become huge business. I don't think I would use any paid dating site. I love this site because it is filled with like-minded people which eliminates a big faction (the supposed faithful), secondly, it's free, and thirdly, this site merely masquerades as a dating site. It is proving to be more of a social networking platform. This mimicks real life better because you can spend time getting to know someone here first (for free, they don't ration out or filter the contact) in the posts and you can message them (for free, without limits) privately. As has been mentioned, many of these dating sites are linked. That could be advantageous, but they are also riddled with fake profiles and fake people.

@Stacey48 Grazie! =]

Fake profiles drove me away from all of the aforementioned sites. I was so happy to find this site. If nothing else, I will continue to enjoy the camaraderie I have found here.

The odd are good here on Agnostic.com, even if the goods are odd 😉

I didnt list this site cause there arent any women in my age range (21-40) in my area (Tampa) on this site. I was hoping for a larger pool. But there are 2 with real active profiles (im not exaggerating). There are about 10 others that registered and haven't done anything with their profiles past creating one.

@RobertSmith I live in Omaha and I'm 60. I prefer someone closer to my age than to my kids ages, and it is a conservative republipuke state. Slim pickings for sure!

@RobertSmith This site is pretty new and growing fast. Give it time. Participate. Ya neva know... =]

You need to add the option of "they're all crap."

Don't bother with any of them. You're more likely to meet someone at a laundromat than on any of those websites.

The problem with such places is that everyone has this "buy low sell high" attitude. They're all looking for perfection, while being far from perfect themselves.

In real life, you meet someone, and you get to know them. They don't match you exactly, but they do have some positive qualities, enough that you want to stick with them, at least for a while, and see how it goes.

On the websites, you look over how they answered questions, and can actually filter out people who give answers you disagree with. You automatically disqualify people who might be the right person for you, just based on multiple choice answers.

Myself, I learned quickly not to reject people for any differences. One of the great things about being in a relationship is that you learn things from the other person. What can you learn if your multiple choice match thinks exactly like you do?

I would have checked the 'they're all crap' box if it was an option.

I have had a lot better luck at Kroger than on dating sites.

we've got Publix's in this area. Hard when you are an ISTJ (Introvert)

@RobertSmith I'm an introvert, I go to the laundromat and always find somebody my age to meet.

@buzz13 I have a washer and dryer

What? Agnostic.com isn't on the list? Sacrilege!

Extremely small dating pool

You need a none of the above. LoL

I used to have a good experiences on OkCupid, and POF, but not so much any more.

Meetup.com is pretty awesome. You can meet a lot of people with similar interests in low pressure environment.

It is a great place to make long lasting friends as well.

I also made friends on Meetup.com. Save membership fees. More women than men join these groups.

@sassygirl3869 Guess it depends on where you live. Denver is the opposite... LoL

Then again, that is the case with everything here. They do call it Menver for a reason.

@sassygirl3869 I've looked into Meetup and never attended any events. I looked at the dates on which people joined and then the last time they logged in and the most recent 'outings' or 'events' that happened. It seems that people create a group or event. Attend once and fade away. So even Meetups in my area, suck. They're worse than the dating sites! How is that even possible, ha ha!

@farmboy2017 that sucks! Sorry to hear that. Meetup is pretty awesome in Denver. All of the groups I have joined are very active. I have even started hosting for a couple of them. Maybe it is time to become a Yankee... LoL

I went to many different groups - some are regular you just have to check more out.

@sassygirl3869 Good advice. I definitely found some that I clicked with more than others, so trying several is the way to go.

Thank you for that suggestion.

I love the meetup concept but I live in a smaller town, Between my schedule of getting up at 3am forcing me to go to bed at 7pm and few groups, I am not finding platonic relationships much less romantic ones.

Tinder seems mainly for hookups, but it's a crapshoot no matter which one you use. People have told me that Match and Plentyofffish have been the most successful for them.

PoF is the best of a very bad bunch, in my experience. I've had several dates and one short lived relationship via PoF. More than I can say of any of the others mainstream dating sites that I've tried.

The free sites are frustrating because they're so chock full of fake profiles, time wasters, and chancers just looking for hook-ups. The paid sites mean you're dealing with someone else who's serious enough about meeting someone to hand over money, but you're fishing in a much, much smaller pond.

And swipe left or right, based on a few seconds looking at a picture, has ruined the whole dating game. Making that first contact isn't based on any common interests or other compatibilites. It's all about whether they'd 'do' you, based on the way that you look. Is it any wonder I mostly get guys who obviously have one hand down their trousers?

I sometimes wonder whether the answer is a dating site that doesn't show you any pictures until you prove that you've read the profile. Or perhaps prohibit profile pics altogether, and only allow people to unlock their pictures when they've actually corresponded.

You might want to reach out to a app creator

I was just thinking that @RobertSmith. Someone get on this!

I LOVE plenty of fish!!!! My ex found her boyfriend or husband, or whatever he is now, there!!!

I have met people on Zoosk, Match, Our Time, Plenty of Fish , Facebook and OK Cupid. Never met anyone on E Harmony 8 years ago. Cancelled all. Match, Our Time and __People Meet (all of them) are owned by the same company. They will set you up on 3 sites and then ask for payment.

I've tried most dating sites at one time or another, except Tinder and Bumble. I've even tried some not on the list. What I encounter most often is scammers. This past week I was asked twice for money by people I've never met in person. A few months ago I had been corresponding with one person who wanted me to go buy and Apple laptop and watch and ship them to him. I told him he needed to provide collateral and proof of identity. I was bored, I let it play out too long. I still have some dating sites active, but I don't think anything will ever come of it.

So am I assuming that you won't cosign a car loan for me? (joke)

@RobertSmith Not unless I win a multi million dollar lottery. And because I rarely play the lottery, the odds are slimmer then ever.

@HippieChick58 Well go play. lol

I've dated people from Match and okCupid (and agnostic.com, kudos @admin). Between the first two, I like okCupid far more than Match. I think their matching algorythm is great (still seeing and deeply in love with my first 99% okCupid match).

I deleted Tinder after a month because of dudes that would chat me up for a half hour before bothering to read my one paragraph profile. Seems like it's for hookups, at least to me. A lot of "Hey beautiful, come on over for cocktails."

Those are the only dating sites I've used. But speaking of which, do y'all know of any other sites that use a similar paradigm as okCupid?

Match, OKC, Tinder, POF are all owned by the same company.

@Admin I knew Match and okC were. Very different applications, though, at least for the 1st three listed.

Luck at dating sites are hurt by a number of things.
1 -The ones who are vulgar builds walls for everyone
2 - Text can't establish trust
3- Giving or getting a phone number takes trust and chance
4- So many on there can't get over themselves and no one is good enough

Have you seen the thread
"Why do men ask other men if their girlfriends have single friends and can hook them up?"?

Seen that thread and commented. A solid referral would be awesome. But it will never be that easy.

@RobertSmith Women who know me have set me up. I don't recall any of my guy friends helping me in that area. If anything, they are C-Bers

I like the idea of Bumble, but OkCupid seems to have a better success rate. I have little real luck with any of them, but have had multiple dates via OkCupid.
Meeting through friends or shared interests is ideal.

Problem with friends is most of them are all partnered up already and so are their mutual friends. I tend to be the third/fifth/seventh wheel lol

I've read that finding a partner through the workplace is a thing. Trouble is most the men I work with are young enough to be my kid, and the ones my age seem to be married.

From my experience, and this is possibly down to me not looking or sounding anything marvelous and/or just being unlucky with who I contacted, POF was a waste of time, hardly anybody even bothered replying, Harmony provided absolutely nothing even after the BS of a super duper detailed profile to increase your chances yadda yadda yadda and the only one that yielded anything was Match.com, I went out with someone for 6 months which all very pleasant.
Not sure I'd bother again, especially if there's a cost involved.

I would have said OkCupid until a few months ago when they made it almost impossible to connect with anyone.

How exactly are they making it impossible? I have a free account with them and I met a girl this week from that site.

Not impossible per se, but they have made it that you can't message someone until you "like" them, and then just once unless they "like" you back. After that initial message you can't even see their profile again until they like you back.

Wow, this will "age" me, but it's the truth: I met my late husband via Intro Magazine, some years before online dating even existed, after my divorce in 1982. We each paid for an ad, not cheap, but I believe that eliminates a lot of riff-raff. I thought he lived a bit far away, but he was more open-minded and responded to my ad. At that time I also tried attending every singles event in the Los Angeles area (I don't shine in group events, I found), placed an ad in a local newsletter (which got me a three-month doomed relationship with a guy who kept his ad up and finally told me he liked "first-time sexual experiences" ), and I even tried what was then called Atheists-something. (That last one netted me one married man and one who liked to multiply date.) I think people tend to generalize far too much from their own experiences. Sure, a lot of guys want younger women, thin women, whatever, and of course there will always be scammers and liars. I never lied, but I did keep the fact of my two school-aged kids out of my ad until we had a phone conversation. Funny thing is, after a pretty darn good 35-year relationship, my ad would read the same, more or less, though I'd de-emphasize the sex stuff (as I'm not the same as I was way back then, and it will depend very much on the guy--whereas when I was 35 and he was 31 it all came more easily.) Oh, and I answered every guy who wrote me (pre-email, remember!), even though 50 guys wrote me after the one who I ended up loving), even if only to say no thanks. I'm no princess, not even a "lady," but hey, I know how it feels to be ignored.

Sooz Level 6 Mar 24, 2018

'Truth is the daughter of time'. It is the most reliable guide for anyone to use in screening friends of every kind and indispensable for avoiding liars, exploiters and abusers.

Some veneers are thin, others more elaborate, but veneers always wear, crack and eventually reveal their two dimensional quality. Sexual attraction and arousal causes us to prematurely surrender analytical faculties due to impatience and strong secondary drives.

Impatience, as a matter of fact, is the first clue. The second is how the 'other' treats ALL others, not just you. (the rhetorical you, meaning us) Third, how does he or she 'see' and talk about others/strangers. Fourth, what kinds of questions are asked early and in what sequence will reveal motives like radar.

Example: Are you married or do you have a spouse? Very appropriate after learning names and some getting acquainted chat that ought to precede other relationships as an issue. If a person is interesting enough for a 'closer look' but not worth that look unless potential for sexual relatedness has been established, the base motive is being trumpeted. Retreat!

People who love and are interested in meeting and learning about others don't discard possible friendships and good acquaintanceships just because physical intimacy isn't going to, or might not be in the cards. Cutting to the chase about sex and or level of wealth seductively and seriously, (not as humor)repeatedly before a comfortable level of familiarity is established is also a warning to fish in deeper waters. Always consider: Why is he/she asking me this question or volunteering this or that specific about themselves prematurely?

Same with ourselves. If the sexual option has to be there or we don't want to 'waste time' learning enough to cause feelings of respect, admiration, trust and affectionate love, we're playing a form of Russian roulette. These days it CAN kill you.

I had to restart my profile on one of the sites, I couldn't remember my log in and somehow got locked out. I was contacted by a guy who doesn't have a picture, his profile says he is divorced. But it also says he is a storm chaser and works between Lincoln and Omaha. I knew who it was, talked to him for a bit. I reminded him we've met in person twice before and he gave me a small dreidel last time we met. Nope, he is not divorced. I hate liars! Funny thing is, I know his real name because of his storm chaser activities, and because of that I know where he lives. Makes me wanna write to his wife. But hell, this has been going on for years.

That sounds terrible. Sorry for what happened

@RobertSmith There are lots of men out there looking for side pieces.

@HippieChick58 meanwhile I am looking for a whole piece

@RobertSmith Me too, I want 100% and won't settle for less.

I tried Match and eHarmony and found them not only not worth any money (let along what eHarmony was collecting), but also a huge waste of time, effort, and possibly begging for a scammer or stalker. The women that seemed nice, never wanted to meet in a public venue. The ones that were eager, were "train wrecks". And then you had the ones who were either " playing the field", looking for a caretaker of sugar daddy, or were of some "alternative lifestyle".

eHarmony is possibly the very worst of the sites, and twice the $$. I'd tell people to pay for Match or OkCupid before I'd ever tell them to waste money on eHarmony. None of them are worth it anyway.

I had that experience a little as well. Its tough out there.

Depends what your looking for but id recommend POF if your looking for hook ups and casual dating

Realistically I am looking for something of substance. But I have been fortunate and have found substance from casual dating. So I am very open.

Bwah ha ha ha ha....That's funny, 'Best' dating site.... They all suck. Or at least that's what I discovered, so I'll apologize now and be quiet. Thanks for listening🙂

Hey. I am looking for all input.

Bumble I would say but then again I ain’t an expert on dating sites. Just worked better for me.

I have almost never had a conversation on Bumble. I feel like most women don't want to make first contact, and that's kind of their whole gimmick.

@Danaconda813 I have but it’s a here and there kinda situation. But I’ve met some through there.

Wow most of the posts are not very uplifting....I love this APP at least we all have one thing in common and that's a community of sorts. I haven't found the energy yet to venture onto the sites I've dabbled a little then fled after seeing the profiles. The religious factor is such a large part and I can see how important it is for most people. For me that's expounded by the fact I'm a vegan and even though I've tried I can't share my house with a meat eater! Plus I personally feel 10 years age difference is the most to be compatible & I don't do sports as in watching on TV. Oh and I'm a very neat person. So my sisters and I laugh as that reduces the 91 million single American men to 3 and they are happily married ? My best hope is that I live alone next door to a fella, we do pot luck, talk, (I love an intellectual challenge) laugh, & enjoy great company, that way we both remain autonomous, somewhat self sufficient and happy...Hey we can all dream. PS I tell my sisters the reason they are happily married is because they cook a mean meat pie! Good luck with the dating apps, they seem to work for a lot of people...

I've tried a lot of these for years, I've given up on them. This is my new favorite, because it's also a social site. At those other sites, sometimes things start out promising, but then it's like I'm talking to the same guy over and over again. Super aggressive, demanding, suspicious, massive ego, often times hiding the fact that they're married or in a long term relationship. To be fair, I'm sure there are good guys in these sites and perhaps I have bad instincts. I also was told by multiple men that a lot of the women on those sites are 'fakes', but this is coming from the above described men, so I take that with a big old spoonful of salt.

I'm a previous member of Match but decided that they charge too much. I'm currently a member of Plenty Of Fish, but the only contacts I seem to make are with women who turn out to be gold-diggers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42484
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.