Agnostic.com

13 10

QUESTION Why English is so hard to learn -- A poem

Grammer Nazi's rejoice!
Here is a poem for us all!

TheMiddleWay 8 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

English is the most irrational and difficult language there is. It is a secret code that is even further enhanced by regionalism as well as nationalism. Consider London and the same language in Chicago or Austin or Los Angeles and you realize there are multiple Englishes. It is another chance at making ourselves unique in some meaningless way.

English is not a Latin based language but more germanic in its roots. As it becomes the language of commerce & the internet, we will continue to see the absorbtion of other languages into this lexicon. A living language can be frustrating as well as something to rejoice. I am/do both.

I wanted to leave something. Besides, that's spelling.

The rules are simple....

This might help.....or not 🙂

Oh, I just made a post on grammar Nazis. I didn't see this until now.

In English, the exceptions are the rule.

How do we pronounce the word "ghoti"?

The answer is "fish".

How can "ghoti" and "fish" sound the same?

gh = f as in rouGH
o = I as in wOmen
ti = sh as in naTIon

There is more to that poem.[ling.upenn.edu] I seem to remember a poem of similar vein that started So you say English is easy. It is a confusing language, but the only one I'm reasonable fluent in.

Great poem. Looks familiar. Where have I heard it?

The reason being that like our populace our language is melding pot of evolved words from other languages.

I'm all for putting my socks on my foots, but it doesn't sound right to the people who use feet as plural, so it makes it hard to revise.

What about shorts and pants and...?

If you think I'm bad at math, you should see my English.

Nazis*

Sorry, I had to.

So "GrammEr" did not bother you? 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42668
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.