Agnostic.com

85 7

How old were you when you got married for the first time?

"For many people, regardless of sexual orientation, a wedding is no longer the first step into adulthood that it once was, but, often, the last. It is a celebration of all that two people have already done, unlike a traditional wedding, which was a celebration of what a couple would do in the future.

Consistent with this shift in meaning, different-sex couples, like the many of the same-sex couples who have married recently, are starting their marriages later in their lives. According to the Census Bureau, the median age at first marriage—the age at which half of all marriages occur—was 27.4 for women and 29.5 for men in 2017. That’s higher than at any time since the Census began keeping records in 1890."

[theatlantic.com]

VictoriaNotes 9 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

85 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A mere stripling of 21. Lasted for a wonderful 26 years .

I was 27 and she was an older woman aged 30

26 when first married. It lasted 13 years

I was 21. Jesus that was a long time ago. I feel ancient.

21 and 21 -- two lonely nerds who met in Calculus class - both far far away from home ... decided to get married when we realized we were probably never going to find "anything better" - calculating, but ... She carried us for the first 10 years, we had 20 "salad years" -- then she invoked the "in sickness and health clause" and passed after 20yr of grief. What would I change? -- don't honestly know - good times/bad times -

I was 28, and got a divorce 28 years later. That was 9 and a half years ago. No regrets. I mostly enjoyed being married, but I also like being single. I'm on great terms with my ex, and my kids are ok with the whole situation.

I was 30. Thought if I waited it would last forever.

Being such an introvert (and social misfit) it took me 28 years to get married (the first time - did I mention I am also a slow learner). She was 22.

What about you?

25 yrs old In 1995. My wife was 24. Married only once, 22 yrs. I think the trend toward marrying later is smart. It may also be a consequence of harder financial times, student debt and caution based on learning more about the legal consequences if that marriage should fail.

21 and 58 years later going strong even though both parents did not approve and they gave us 6 mos at most. We had $87 between us.

I was 30. College educated. Had my own house on the family farm. Had 3 used cars, all paid for and all running! No student loan debt, no debt period! I was the most elligible bachelor in the county. Then I got married and it all went to hell. You'd have thought that carrying your own water amounted to being respected but that ain't always the case. Some wives want it all and expect someone else to provide it. Never again!

I was 20, and we are still married. Will be celebrating our 11th anniversary in a few months!

27, lasted 19 years.

Married as a 24 year old and am still happy with the same woman. Don't be jealous! We worked hard for it, never giving up in criseses.

Gert Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

First marriage I was 19.... Waaay too young. That marriage lasted 24 years, alhtough most of the last decade of it we were just going through the motions. Second time around was I wa 46, and that one only lasted just shy of 5 years. Complicated stories surrounding both. Four kiddos with first marriage, none with the second. Last of the four will enter high school this fall.

Ohub Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

20 the first time. I thought I could change a person's colors. Serious error in judgement.

I was married at 17, my wife was 19. I was in high school, she was already graduated, We met at my job (gas station attendant, I'm dating myself) and started dating. She was the first woman I had sex with and it was great! At the time, I thought if you had sex, you got married, and I really wasn't digging living at home, even though I had another year of school to go. She missed a period, so we used that as an excuse to talk my parents into letting the marriage happen the summer before my senior year. She got her period the night before the wedding, but we didn't tell anyone. We stayed married, with a lot of issues, for eight years. I developed a much different view of marriage and sex as I aged.

32, I would not have gotten married then, Were it not too relieve a third parties mind rather than Hers. Foolish choice. Once was more than enough.

I was 28 and we made it 15 years. It was really good until it wasn't.

I agree people are getting married at an older, and hopefully, more mature age. However, I eloped on my 18th birthday mainly to escape a mentally and physically abusive childhood and landed, anyway, in a verbally abusive relationship. Needless to say, it didn't last.

24, like the TV show

jeffy Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

32, should have waited until I was 102. terrible times, but they are behind me now. whats next?

I was 33, I wanted kids, I thought it would last cause I waited so long. I lasted 18 years, I think I have been single now for 6.

marym Level 4 Mar 26, 2018

after years of abuse on the part of my father i just had to get away. at the time the legal age was 21 in germany, whereas i had just turned 18. so a friend (not lover yet) offered to marry me, for which we decided to travel to the famous blacksmith in gretna green at the scottish border. hitchhiking our way up north we were told, while getting our clothes seen to at a launderette in nottinghamshire, that this option doesn't exist anymore. so we registered right there & then & were wed in newark on trent. the marriage lasted 3 years. ... as did the second, which i also entered into for legal reasons.

the idea of getting a marriage certificate for love never appealed to me, especially as having children wasn't an option i ever considered.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:42861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.