Agnostic.com

43 6

What do you say?

At my work, I started saying "good luck" when someone sneezes. I'm happy that its caught on! I have no problem saying "bless you" or "gesundheit" (I'm half German after all,) but am wondering what other people say, if anything, (which I sometimes say nothing.)

• 37 votes
  • 41 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 37 votes
pepperjones 8 Mar 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just say bless you. No God included or needed. Satisfies both people's views I guess. Just like with the thread on saying grace at dinner. I'm willing to go along with the idiocy because I'm secure enough in my view on the subject while pleasing those around me. If it gives them comfort then so be it. It would be different if it's something more extreme, but I don't see the need to cause conflict with such trivial things.

I think saying bless you is a quoculism and I spent my life saying it. I don't see it as a religious statement

When I sneeze I usually follow up with " die you damn fool!". I've never said it to someone else. Not sure about that.

If asked I simply say that I am not qualified to bless anyone.

Salute! Italian for good health.

I don't say anything when someone coughs or hiccups or passes gas, although I often give a dirty look, so it's never made sense to me to say anything when someone sneezes.

Demons Begone! He he....

or a varaiation of gesundheit, such as gusundiheight, or any other way to mis pronounce the word

I say "bless you and all the people you blew away!"

5 in a row gets you a paid day off!

I tend to say nothing.

If they sneeze multiple times, I’ll say “that’s enough!”

Goes-in-tight

I believe its a cultural norm rather than a religious “blessing”.

Gesundheit most often. Occasionally "May the Force be with you."

I usually say "bless you" - but completely out of habit. I have been trying to correct myself into saying "Sagan be with you" (as in Carl Sagan) just to counter the religious-ness(?) of 'bless'

"Are you going to eat that?"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43187
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.