Agnostic.com

48 11

Correcting Others Make You Look Bad

Have been thinking about how the last man I met corrected my pronunciation three times. Each time, I felt embarrassed and stung.

"When I moved to Washington State, I mispronounced Indian names of towns and rivers," I said with a laugh. "I still mix up Chiwawa and Chiwaukum rivers."

Still, he corrected me when I said, "It piqued my interest." "It's pronounced 'pick,'" he said. "Everyone says it wrong."

"No, 'pique' is pronounced 'peek' like peeking through a window," I told him. "'Pique' is a French word with the same pronunciation in French and English. I took French in high school, so I noticed it."

"I was an English major in college," he said smugly, as if it proved his point. After dinner, he looked up the pronunciation of "pique" to show me up.

I was right. Ha ha! It's pronounced "peek."

Since elementary school, I’ve met people who felt the need to correct others. Some had seemingly innocent intentions, while others were excited at the opportunity to show everyone present that they were smarter than someone else.

Regardless of their intentions, what they’ve accomplished is ticking someone off, embarrassing them or even ruining a friendship.

Your thoughts?

p.s. He was a pedantic, short, fat lawyer who looked like a troll.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It’s one thing to find faults in an individuals demeanor or personality but to make fun of a persons height and weight is a nasty thing to do .

Agreed.

I was on your side until you had to be immature and call him "short, fat ... who looked like a troll". You were right about the pronunciation, but you are a petty little troll yourself.

AtheistinNC:This woman has a disgusting habit of criticizing men’s appearances and weight in her posts when she does not like them ,just like Trump .

meh just dishing out pettiness to a toxic or nasty person.... some people have it coming.

@AtheistInNC

I wrote that to tell people he was the same man:

Overweight man rejects overweight women. What's up with that?

Correcting someone is fine IF they're actually mistaken. I was not an English major and I knew your use was correct. Now that dipshit has been corrected he's learned something and won't make that mistake again. So correcting him was a good thing.

Many people pronounce words differently because of their geography OR because they learned by reading. You should NEVER criticise the self taught who learned by reading just gently redirect them into further reading.
He was an English major that really does him no credit to act superior. I am an Australian so I would find your pronunciation "different" but have no cause to be critical.
There are so many conflicting pronunciations even in the Queen's English that it is not worth worrying about.
Occasionally all of us put the wrong em phar sis on the wrong sy lab le.

Having just returned from New Zealand I can attest to the accuracy of your comments.

Besides we speak the Presidents english here, and its not the same.

@Burner just a turn of phrase or is it fraze? I am not phased either way.
I must confess I use subtitles on many British TV shows now.

"Correcting Others Makes You Look Bad"

Just to be a dick. 😉

As a native Washingtonian I'll let you in on a little secret...we judge EVERYONE by how they mispronounce the Indian words around here. On the rare occasion I do correct someone on pronunciation (currently limited to my wife so she doesn't get ostracized by the locals) it's kinda a matter of respect for the language/culture.

But fuck that guy. As a dyslexic whose trouble with language will sometimes carry over into speech he can kiss my hairy ass.

"I was an English major in college," Good for you, had to go to school for 16 fucking years to learn your own native tounge. Fucking impressive.

1of5 Level 8 Nov 28, 2019

What's the old saying? Never insult someone who mispronounces a word, it means that they've only read it.

@MrBeelzeebubble

You're right. Readers collect a lot of mispronounced words.

No one likes being corrected a lot for as you say it is somewhat embarrassing and it can make us feel small or stupid. However, if I am in error I would want to know as to not continue my mistake. I only find being corrected bothersome if a person is "getting off" on it. We can rarely know what someone's true intention is until we learn about who and how they are. I dated an English Professor for a while and he corrected me at times, but most often not. ... I felt stupid by comparison anyway, but loved him more each time I discovered my own mistake.

I take some solace in knowing that I'm not that kind of asshole. But sadly, guys like that get dates while nice guys get to sit at home and chat on Agnostic.com.

I have never heard of "pique" being pronounced as "pick." I must admit, however, I do fight the urge when people use the wrong expression for something. Such as: I could care less rather than I couldn't care less...etc. But, I will not correct and embarrass someone, unless they themselves are being a preek--I mean...prick 🙂.

All those men who drive you crazy what is a girl to do.

That sentence should have been puncuated with a question mark. Does it make me look bad to point that out? 😉

@Sgt_Spanky Nah, I have very thick skin, I do.

Perhaps the English Major pronunciation police should stop saying ‘tarp’ when he means ‘’top’, or ‘mom’ when he means ‘mum’ and put the ‘u’s back into flavour, favourite, and ‘colour’ and maybe, just maybe, eject the ‘z’ and replace with ‘s’ and just possibly say ‘zed’ instead of ‘zee’

Picked indeed!

The u's weren't in flavour, favourite, or colour to begin with. Standardized spelling wasn't very widespread until the late 1800's by which time it was too late for England and America to agree on anything.

@UpsideDownAgain I think that was Noah Webster’s fault for dumbing down the language.

They were certainly in the language when the first pilgrims arrived!

"I was an English major in college." So was I, and I know there are varying pronunciations of quite a few words. Sounds like a pretentious ass. One thing I have learned in life - I, nor no other person, knows everything, thus be polite. With odd pronunciations of towns I tell outsiders that this ....... is the local pronunciation and do so politely. I had one woman thank me so she wouldn't sound lime a tourist. Being from Lancaster, PA, I acknowledge that every other city of that name has an English pronunciation while in PA it is Dutchified. Lankaster rather than Lan - caster.

I almost always present ideas with qualifiers that I'm expressing my opinion even when I'm fairly sure I'm right because it's when I'm just damn sure I'm right that I'm sure to be wrong and then I have to eat crow. I hate crow.

As others have written, it is contextual. I work in education, hence it is part of my career to facilitate learning. My main approach is tactful though.

As long as someone is correcting in the spirit of sharing knowledge, as opposed to having more knowledge than anyone else , I am neither embarrassed , or bothered. I welcome getting it right - whatever it is, and thank the person.

If someone's being an unpleasant wiseass - I can always growl !

And I will, in turn, correct others, or share extra related facts if the opportunity presents itself. Always with tact and respect. Rarely any ruffled feathers.

I think something like the Golden Rule is applicable here. If I would want to be corrected (to keep from embarrassing myself later) then I should "helpfully" correct under similar circumstances; but if I would not want to be corrected under similar circumstances, then I think I shouldn't correct.

I think in his mind you got "out of your place" and he was very intent in trying to box you back up. He was a condescending moron, and you're better off without him.

Hahahaha that guy must've looked stupid when he got the dictionary to prove you wrong and ended proving himself wrong!! Did he apologize to you? If not, you should correct him about that!!! 🤣😂 Personally, I don't mind being corrected occasionally....but constantly? I'd have to start smacking people 😱😰

I grade your spelling, grammar, and sentence structures an “A”.

@Cutiebeauty

He didn't apologize. He was rude, unappealing and habitually overtalked. FLUSH.

@LiterateHiker he sounds like a stereotypical male who can't admit to a woman that they are wrong... What exactly was his response when he found out he was wrong given his "expertise" of English?

There are different ways of saying the same thing. My late partner, Parvin for brevity, loved Basil but I pronounced it with a English accent (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/basil). She got used to the American version and said when I said it, it didn't taste the same. Actually there are 4 ways to pronounce it as the s can be as a z or s. Regional dialects, of course very from region to region so another "it depends" phenomena.

With Parvin we only made suggestions (I often used Farsi words as a joke) Holi Schamatchatori means "how are you" in Farsi. I would say holy schmatcatori as an expletive (like holy schmolly). She would just look at me and shake her head. Teasing should be a part of any relationship (don't worry she gave more then she got).

After studying some communication books (Deborah Tanner) and taking classes in Non-violent communication "I" messages are all important. Staying away from verbal insults and using humor directed at oneself (not the other) are also important. Our personal insults amounted to no more than "Silly Goose" or "Goof Ball." Understanding is critical and everyone has their own interpretation abilities so rather than quickly judge another they should ask.

I think before a relationship can proceed both parties must learn, share and try to understand the other's position/style. And sometimes it just won't work. Sometimes, the 'chemistry' is just too strong. My 2 cents.

Good point although I looked up "pique" in 4 different dictionaries and didn't find a different pronunciation.

@UpsideDownAgain Perhaps there are some regional dictionaries with dialects. Did you check the link to the Cambridge dictionary I listed?

@JackPedigo Yup. No difference there either.

He was a pushy asshole, typical for some lawyers

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 28, 2019

Correction, "most lawyers" LOL

Whatever is a girl like you doing wasting your time talking to the likes of him.
I'm English; I pronounce it the way you do and what does it matter anyway.

@Fretherne1

It was a first date. I met him through a dating website.

I went out with a guy that had to be right and couldn’t, ‘agree to disagree’ it started of as tiresome and ended up being tiring!
I don’t mind constructive criticism and it’s very English to be pedantic, but there are limits.
I never took it personally.

Man, you've met some real assholes.

My last long-term relationship relished in correcting my pronunciation of words. When I told him it was probably a regional difference he would demand that I "speak Virginian" since I no longer lived in Texas.

The last straw what when we had a discussion about a word with a silent letter. He insisted that I was pronouncing it wrong because I wasn't pronouncing the silent letter. I wrote down Kuykendahl (a road in Houston, TX) and asked him to pronounce it. He insisted it wasn't a word at all; that I made it up.

For someone that was allegedly a Mensa candidate, he sure was stupid.

And by the way, the word is pronounced kerr ken DOLL (it's German).

I detect no errors with the spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, or use of paragraphs in your post. You get an ”A”!

@Bobbyzen

Thank you!

When I was married and at a time when we still wrote checks my wife would spell the number 40, fourty. When I said, in private, that it was spelled forty. She continued to spell it fourty and I never corrected her again. Very smart woman. She is a high school counselor.
As an elementary teacher I would correct not by saying, no that is wrong, but repeat back what they said with the correct pronunciation and move on.

The Canadians spell color, colour. A french influence?

@PondartIncbendog the English spell it with u as well. So it would be reinforced from both sides of the Canadian culture.

@PondartIncbendog the brits spell it that way too. Americans are probably just lazy, i mean, minimalist

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:432345
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.