Agnostic.com

18 1

Afterlife

Theists believe in an afterlife. I don't and can't think of anything worse than the concept of eternal life. I like that I'll be dead one day and that life, to me, is finite. I'm totally at peace with this as part of nature. Do you feel okay with our time here being all we have or does that feel uncomfortable for you?

Bebel 4 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For people who are enjoying life, it may be easier to accept there being no better afterlife. For those who live a life under suppression and unhappiness, the thought of an eternal life in pleasures for them and an everlasting hell for their oppressors must be appealing and help them to bear their corporeal existence.

So far I have enjoyed a happy life without great physical discomfort or disease. The thought of me as an individual passing is made easier with the thought that elements of physical me live on in my relatives and my sense of values/thoughts live on in the people who I love. Death is like a concept of the Everlasting Sleep for my consciousness.

It's extremely comforting for me. My wife, however, has always had a difficult time with the concept of death. She refuses to believe that there is nothing, because she NEEDS to believe that there is "something".

I don't want to live forever*. I think there is beauty in a life that will be over some day. I do think that the only victory we could have is if we were to die and be brought back without any memory of our previous life. I don't like the Christian after life. I haven't heard of why after life from a religion that I agree with.

Geeze, thats some tough questions. I guess the old saying that clicks with me is that you get what you get. Ive appreciated all the firsts in my life. You know, the first time you did something. So dying will be just another first. No need to fret, its going to happen.

I don't fear death. When it happens it happens. I agree with others that if we could live forever we wouldn't value life as much. We wouldn't live "in the now." I don't want to live forever. That sounds miserable. LOL. . . I don't look forward to the pain, aging, loss of independence, & loss of bodily functions that usually preceeds death. But once you're dead, your dead. Just burn me & bury my ashes with a tree somewhere.

I have to be honest here and tell you that I would prefer to stay around as long as possible. However, I am comfortable with the notion that death is a part of life and we all do it, one way or another.

There's nothing I can do about it. There's no reason to spend my energy worrying about it.

Since I Know by logic that One never turns to a Zero... and I know by science that Energy is Infinite... I conclude that I'm the One, I'm of Energy and I'm life itself forever... and this makes me happy, confident and limitless.
This is spirituality not a religious belief... I don't believe in God and religions... I believe in "Me" and I flip it upside down to stands "We".
Peace and Love... 1001

I like this. Energy is neither created nor destroyed; it's just reconstituted. As Moby said, "we are all made of stars".

It makes me uncomfortable.

Not that there has been any evidence of an afterlife. Seems more like an invisible carrot on a stick to keep people in line to me.

People like the idea of an afterlife because of our instinctive fear of death.

Mr_Dj Level 5 Nov 19, 2017

Love the analogy.

Life has meaning because it will come to an end. And, if dealing with eternity--time itself would have no meaning. I have no desire to exist for an eternity. Well, actually, whatever would exist would not even be me. My energy will continue on, in one form or another, and I find peace in that.

I agree that an eternal life would surely become sooooo boring at some point. That point, I would imagine, is very different for a lot of people.

From where I am, at the moment, I think living into my 90s sounds good. I'd love to live much longer if I could do it comfortably. Not counting on that as I observe my growing list of aging problems. I have accepted the idea of death, but I do feel I am going to miss out on so much fascinating new technologies. But clearly everyone will be missing out on the new stuff that comes after their death, so we are all in that same boat.

I can understand the fear of ending. But I don’t fear it. I fear pain, decrepitude, loss of function, but not death. I just hope I have enough time to ensure my daughter is independent and self supporting.

right here right now . have some fun , life is short but also long, if you pack as much as possible in

I am at peace with my mortality.

since there is no way of knowing its best to live like this is our only shot. and I am good with that. if that is the case what good would it be to fret about it?

I like it. I couldn't imagine doing anything for eternity. Eventually, I'd be begging for it to end.

In the words of Bender from 'Futurama': "Afterlife? Pfft. If I'd thought I had to go through a whole 'nother life, I'd kill myself right now."

So you could get started earlier (on the next life)?

The sooner I get started, the sooner I can finish.

????????????

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4344
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.