Agnostic.com

17 10

Leg Muscle Cramps at Night: Causes, Treatment and Prevention

Yesterday we had blue skies for the first time in two weeks! In winter, Wenatchee gets an inversion surrounded on three sides by mountains. Like living under a mushroom.

Thrilled, I shot off running fast at Riverfront Park. Last night, the tibialis posterior muscle (shin splint) cramped and spasmed when I laid down for bed. Tried heat. Didn't work. Unable to sleep, I got up at 1 a.m., took ibuprofen and got out an ice pack. Relief at last.

But this morning, as I stretched lazily in bed, my left calf muscle seized up in a painful Charley horse. Jumped out of bed to stretch the muscle.

There's a reason for this. Obviously, I need to warm up before running and hiking.

[runnersblueprint.com]

Photo: Wenatchee, WA where I live. Sunrise in January 2018. You can see the confluence of the Columbia and Wenatchee Rivers, a power spot for the Wenatchii Indian Tribe.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Today my doctor told me to take Emergen-C every morning.

Actually, warming up will not relieve th cramps. I get them once or twice a week. It is usually a buildup of lactic acid that causes the problems. More potassium seems to help (more bananas). Walking it off at night does the trick most of the time. I use a product called Theraworx (get the form, it is easier to work with), a topical that also seems to help. I have done searches online and cannot seem to come up with a medical "cure."

So vinegar?

Dill pickle juice for leg cramps,and you might increase the Calcium from milk or cheese? The foot ball teams have pickle juice ready for the players.

I can't play football because I wouldn't drink pickle juice. I could have been an NFL quarterback............

Be careful when using supplements, one can overdo it, I was taking potassium in the summertime and had to quit because I had a high potassium count and it was affecting my kidneys and as a result of that I have high blood pressure. Now that my levels are down my blood pressure is near normal. Just a precautionary thought.

@MrDragon

Thank you for warning about how potassium negatively affects kidneys and blood pressure.

@LiterateHiker your welcome. Learning the hard way really sucks.

@LiterateHiker Instead of eating the bananas, I would suggest eating the monkeys. They must be rich in potassium by now.

Lovely picture. Cramps often a mineral issue. Drinking water without added electrolytes can exacerbate the issue. I ran across an Old Amish Formula and put some in my athletic drink along with with E-lyte by BIOBODY . The Amish formula contains cider vinegar and ginger and garlic juice. Works very well(within a minute) on those sudden night time in bed stretch induced cramps. Also make sure the essential fatty acids are taken.

We have that same inversion problem in Salt Lake City, plus with the added caveat of a million + peoples pollution mixed in with the clouds....

My doc says heat is nice but has no therapeutic effect. Suggests eating a bananna (magnesium?) And ice or frozen peas pack.

For me, drinking LOTS of water and eating bananas does the trick.

As others have suggested also consider a shortage of magnesium for either cramps or "restless leg syndrome" -- but you're probably right; insufficient warm-up. I'd still soak in epsom salts though (magnesium is better absorbed topically for many people rather than via supplement pills). Can't hurt, is soothing, and may help.

@mordant

I take magnesium twice/day. That helps.

I do two things: I take one teaspoon full of Magnesium citrate powder named Calm each evening and one glass of warm room temperature water before bed. It makes me get up at night but no cramps.

Ouch I feel for you, I have occasionally have had muscle cramps in my calf ,for most of my life but very infrequently,,happens maybe 3 or 4 times in a row and then disappears for a years or so,,I just get up and get weight on it asap as it hurts like hell then rub it after wards and it is gone,but sure wakes you up quickly when it happens , Love all the advice given , Hope you do not get any back for a long while

PS Love the picture

@RoyMillar

Thank you. That's Wenatchee, WA where I live. Sunrise in January 2018.

I feel you! Lifelong diabetes has damaged major nerves and muscles in my legs. I take magnesium, cheap pills from CVS, for the cramps that used to lift me out of deep sleep. It is a long-term remedy, not instant relief.

@Spinliesel

Thank you. Like you, I take magnesium twice/day.

Emergen-C stops my muscle cramps immediately. I keep packets of it in my hiking pack and car.

Perhaps drinking so much water washes electrolytes from my body. Hard to tell.

this stuff erases cramps within a couple of minutes. even those big nasty hamstring cramps.
[t3.gstatic.com]

@hankster

Thank you.

Emergen-C stops muscle cramps immediately. It works for me.

My remedy(successful)...cut back on dairy...daily banana, orange, radishes, cucumbers(these are things I like)...potassium pill each morning...glass of V8 each day...remarkable improvement...

Here's what I've heard...potassium is the important mineral for circulation. Trouble is we need an enormous amount of potassium each day as it passes through our digestive system quickly, before much of it can be absorbed. The function of magnesium is that it attaches itself to potassium and slows down passage. I don't know magnesium has a real benefit to our bodies, other than to slow the potassium passage....that's what I've heard...

I didn't know for many years that standing or walking will stop cramps almost immediately

Potassium or quinine found in quinine water mixers

also ( in addition to ) vitamen C will help. take at least 500 mg in the am and 500 mg in the pm.

@AmmaRE007 quinine actually works increasing circulation

I’ve been prone to calf cramps while stretching in bed since I was a kid. I take potassium but still get them from time to time. I was told at an early age to rub it out. But that never worked. It was just painful. Only a couple years ago someone told me to walk it off. I was amazed that Standing up and walking brought near-instant relief.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:436585
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.