Agnostic.com

62 7

Are Some Men Reluctant to Talk on the Phone?

Why do men want to text?

sassygirl3869 9 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just depends. I like being able to look someone in the eye and read their mouth when I'm talking to them and you can't do that over the phone. I tend to have trouble understanding people on the phone. I also hate long, drawn out text "conversations".

I absolutely hate phone calls. Dude I work with has one permanently attached to his head. I don’t think there’s a correlation between sex and phone use.

I haven't answered the phone since the late 1990's.

OMG

I have that tendency, but I'm sure there are also like women out there.

godef Level 7 Mar 26, 2018

Yes, but it's definitely not just men. It seems to me that people who grew up with texting tend to talk much less than people who grew up before the computer age. I could be way off base, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

I'm willing to talk to people on the phone or Skype but
nobody seems to want to do that. We could even have
group conversations.

dc65 Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

We're all way to connected ... And talking on a phone doesn't give you a second chance to look before hitting send.

Gozer Level 4 Mar 26, 2018

Why do they want to text? It’s probably due to them wanting to edit their responses.

For a week? Claiming their phone is broken?

He’s a jerk. @sassygirl3869

I ended it last week. Besides my hand hurts texting.

Im sorry. I really am. He’s a jerk. @sassygirl3869

what is Swype or voice recognition? Technical virgin using flip phone

@Scoobs What voice recognition software do you use?
I only use a PC for voice recognition.

@sassygirl3869 I'm old fashioned enough that I don't use dating sites. I met one husband at a college class and one on a nature/photography hike. Most of the men I've met were when I wasn't looking. A friend who had lost her husband after 20 years of marriage tried something I think called Harmony. She spent a lot of time and effort. She even met two men in person, but nothing clicked. Eventually, a friend at work set her up with her brother who was also unsuccessfully using a dating site. The two clicked, lived together for a couple of years and married due to her kids dislike of her living with him. They've now been married for six years. I guess those type of sites must work as they're popular but not for me. Besides I could never describe myself accurately in thirty words or less. 🙂

I hate talking on the phone. It doesn't matter with whom. Maybe it's because I used to talk to an ex for hourssssss when I was like 22. I mean like 5 hours sometimes. Your arm hurts. Your ear hurts. Your neck hurts. Now I can just text people and do whatever I have to do. It saves time. I know you can't tell the persons tone in text, but that's what in person meetings are for. Why do women usually like talking on the phone more than men? I also know that women think a guy has a girlfriend or wife if he doesn't want to talk on the phone. Some of us legitimately don't like talking on the phone. I guess a few minutes is ok though.

You can always use video chat that works well nowadays.

Yes...I try and avoid talking on the phone. I like to see the person's face when I am talking. I'm sure I read the listener to see if they are listening and what effect my words are having.

You can always use video chat that works well nowadays.

@dc65 Good idea....

To me, the telephone is a tool. It has its purpose, and that is not passing the hours babbling deep nothings. I don't dislike talking on the phone, but I do dislike talking on the phone with no purpose. I can participate in general conversation on the phone for a few minutes, beyond that --- I'm done.

Maybe you or the people you talk to are just dull. I have had some amazing and long conversations with women on this site. 🙂

I hate talking on the phone. Unless I have a lot to say. It's nice you can block people also

Not at all.

Depends on the person I'm talking to. There are three people with whom l have long conversations. Everyone else gets a text.

This woman prefers text and email. I HATE talking on the phone.

Yes!

I don’t like talking on the phone because I’m always afraid the other person is too busy to talk to me immediately, so a text is better because I know they will get back to me when they can.

Adam7 Level 4 Mar 26, 2018

When talking on the phone important visual cues are missing and silence is awkward. In person is best but I enjoy texting for a short while, it gives me time to think and write the words that best get across what I am trying to say.

One word... Selfies.

I am ok with it being a short conversation but I prefer face to face interaction. It’s a generational thing, I think texting is stupid as well.

I just do not have much to report and my daughters do all the talking anyway

yes. It's hard to assess the non-verbal clues in the conversation - and the quality of the audio on most cell phones today is not up to that of the old fashioned AT&T land line phones! I've never had a meet and greet go well on the phone.

It’s easy. You have time to phrase things the right way.

Why do they want to text? It’s probably due to them wanting to edit their responses.

I text because I am used to it from work and use it as a handy tool to find out the who, what, when or where. My conversations are reserved for email or in person. I don't have the time, energy or patience to spend time on the phone.

That’s good to know. @Angelface

I'm not but I just prefer to talk face to face.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:43814
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.