175 8

Do you celebrate religious holidays?

• 38 votes
  • 81 votes
  • 67 votes
  • 69 votes
Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

175 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends what you mean by "celebrate". I'm quite happy to accept the days I get off from work due to a religious event (e.g. Christmas, Easter). I normally "celebrate" by drinking too much and embarrassing my children 😉

I'll celebrate ANY holiday... I can pretend with the best of them.

I "celebrate" two religious holidays- sort of. At Christmas/ Winter Solstice, we act like Pagans, we have a feast, light candles, have outdoor lights, have a tree, give prezzies and listen to music, dance and have big gatherings of friends and family - not always on the same day. At Zombie Jesus day ( Easter) we have a "walking dead" party, and have for almost 20 years.
Non Christian holidays - on Halloween we have parties and give out Candy. On thanksgiving we have food and lots of it.

In my parents family, Christmas is more of a secular tradition (celebration of family/festivities etc) without religious themes etc.

What is celebrating? I do not recognize the religious aspects of any holiday. I have a tree with a FSM on the top and exchange gifts as it is fun. 3rd generation atheist and I feel that holidays can be fun - so why not.

My basic rule is: If it involves good food, I'm in. If it's about fasting I skip it.

Ozzie Level 2 Oct 8, 2017

Well, most religious holidays have long lost any sort of religious meaning, and even then they were mostly invented to "overwrite" older religious holidays. I celebrate Christmas as the winter solstice, the new year, sometimes Halloween (dressing up and candies are both things I like), but that's really it.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 7, 2017

Like some have mentioned, I too use holidays as ways to spend time in particular with loved ones and friends. I adore the idea of Christmas being a time to really just relax with family, and I hold no religious context to it even if many do - going to mass and such (which I don't do). I feel like holidays allow us to just have fun together and yeah, some do use it more so for religious purposes, but personally I don't. I celebrate Christmas and sometimes Easter with my younger siblings but that's about it. Sometimes I'll take part in Lent with my Catholic friends but not for a religious purpose even though... it is a religious thing... I just grew up around everyone doing it and it's something I like to attempt to partake in and if I fail then well... I have no hard emotions of failing a God of any sort.

I treat religious holidays as an excuse to celebrate with family or friends since there are few secular holidays serving as an excuse for a party where I would get equal participation from religious friends or family. I do not think of them as religious holidays though. For me, they no longer have that meaning. One can still enjoy an otherwise religious holiday's festivities without engaging with the faith-based aspects of the holiday.

Nietzsche said something along the lines of throwing away tradition and embracing the family as a means to live a more prosperous life. Considering that the majority of my family members are southern baptist, I embrace their traditions to show them that I value them. Family is very valuable to me.

I love christmas. It has pretty ornaments, a full grown tree in the
IIrving room, good food, and presents. I even like the music. The words are nonsense but so is a lot of rock.

yes. I bring in evergreens in winter and hang them over the doors. I love the smells and seeing them. The food is lovely and the music is beautiful.

Yes, but not for their religiosity.

I don't celebrate them as religious occasions, but just as cultural traditions and reasons to have a party or do something special.

I said none, but I will accept any excuse to party with friends and family; I just don't do it in a religious manner.

For me,the religious holidays are only for hanging out with family.

I don't exacly celebrate, but I like some ''religious'' holidays, like Christmas, I like the atmosphere of this date, the company of my friends and family, all this people together.

I celebrate birthdays, and other special occasions, but not religious holidays.

Yes, with the caveat that good ol' Constantine commandeered pagan, or other religious, holidays and gave them a nice new shiny "Christian" coat. Christmas was a mask put over the combination of Solstice and Mithras, Easter was a rebranding of Ishtar, and Mardi Gras makes no bones about squeezing as much sin as possible in before the 40 days of self-denial starting on Ash Wednesday. Cheeky Catholics! 😀

I'm just being a proper godless heathen by celebrating pagan holidays!

Sure, X-Mas, Easter and Halloween!!!

The thing I love most about Christmas is Christmas trees which is strictly forbidden in the Bible and every Christian that puts up a Christmas tree is going against Gods law.
Jeremiah 10:1-5

Chrismas

Does Halloween count?

For me, the answer depends on two factors.

Do I find the religion evil (not just wrong, harmful) and who would I be spending the holiday with?

My parents are about to turn 80 and my mom is in very poor health.

Would I jump at the chance to spend Christmas with them (mom evangelical Christian, dad is atheist and it doesn't matter)? Yes! I believe Christianity to be untrue and it's teachings irresponsible - with a god who is nothing short of wicked. Hate everything Christian-related. If finances allowed, would I travel cross country to celebrate Christmas with family - because that is what is celebrated? Yes. Do I celebrate Christmas? No. Everyone in my life knows I'm an atheist. Showing up to religious holiday gatherings is a demonstration of love. Not commentary on my beliefs.

Do I celebrate some religious holidays? Absolutely! Why? Because they are fun. I celebrate most Pagan holidays because most of my friends are Pagan, not atheists or believers in Abrahamic religions. Modern paganism is not based on anything hateful or harmful. I don't believe in their gods, in magic or any other thing unnatural. But I find no harm in celebrating religious holidays if the religion is not based on anything wretched. Next Saturday I'll be traveling 2 1/2 hours to Augusta, Georgia to celebrate Yule with pagan friends. I'm great friends with both high priestesses and the high priest and have been for years. I am an honorary member of the Ancient Path Covenstead and am proud to be an active member. I do not believe in pagan gods or magic. But I embrace my Pagan friends and they have welcomed me into their community - a New Atheist (or strong atheist or militant atheist - whichever term you prefer). I've been a participanting member in 2 of their annual Rites (includes a short "play", I was the element "Air" last I performed) and everybody in the Covenstead knows I don't believe. All of them great friends who'd rather invite their atheist good friend than to leave me out. When around these friends I feel nothing but love. And their religious beliefs are based on nothing horrible or evil. Harmless. That is why I'm very okay with celebrating their holidays with them.

Those are my two "exceptions". Would I ever celebrate Christmas, Easter or other horrible Christian holiday? Definitely not. Will I spend Christmas with family and other loved ones. Yes - because it means spending time with those I love. I do not bow my head to pray or give thanks to the Christian god or go along with any of the religious aspects of the holiday. Usually easy to avoid. Will I continue to celebrate Samhain, Yule, and Beltane and continue to join for pagan teaching workshops on runes, the powerful properties of different stones and crystals, the art of spiritual healing, and the teachings on the gods? Absolutely! You do not have to believe to learn. And no one is trying to convert me. I am loved and accepted for the atheist I am. And pagans are generally, if I may stereotype with a blanket, a lot more fun and less uptight than most of my fellow atheists. Saying "no" to everything - every event, every celebration and everyone who celebrates doesn't make a worthwhile statement. It just means you aren't invited to the party.

Jeff ?

If you think Christmas has anything to to do with Christianity (or any religion for that matter) you're very much mistaken. Originally it was a mid winter festival, but then like all festivals, christians took them over and tried to impose their crap on us.

I exchange gifts for Xmas, but Easter means nothing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.