Agnostic.com

25 3

Can you judge a person by the company they keep?

I read an article that talked about "improving people judgement." One suggestion was this:

"What’s the spouse like? One of my business partners gave me a great tip for interviewing a super important hire — go out with their spouse, partner, or closest friend. We are known by the company we keep."

What do you think of that?

silvereyes 8 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmmm, I dunno about that. If you're doing opposition research, I guess this a common tactic designed to dig up dirt on people. While it's a valid tactic for adversarial applications, if you look for dirt, you'll find it. If that's what you're after, go ahead. I can't see this as a good policy for vetting potential hires unless it's for a security clearance.

I was pretty astounded by it and
so sorry that reminded me of a silly Poem

twas an evening in September as I very well remember '
I was walking down the street in drunken Pride
But my heart was all a flutter and I landed in the gutter
and a pig came and sat down by my side
Yes I landed in the gutter thinking thoughts i couldnt utter
When a colleen passing by did softly say
"You can tell a man as boozes by the company he chooses!"
And at that the pig got up and walked away.

LOL! random acts of company!

Alcoholic s hang out n pubs , smackheads in toilets , crackheads in dens , prostitutes I'm brothels and weed heads in KFC see so yeah you can

LOL! i'm none of those; where am i supposed to hang out? 🙂

When I was first hired as a Retail Merchandiser/Part-time sales rep for Hershey Chocolate Co.my prospective boss took me and my husband out to dinner before the job offer.

I hope not!

I don't even own a company.

I spend most of my time by myself, so I'd say that's a glowing review. 😉

I think interviewing a potential hire and judging them based upon their spouse might be unfair, because there's no way of knowing what sort of conflicts might exist in their relationship. I'd be reluctant to make a hiring decision based upon someone else's social graces, mastery of grammar, tolerance for formal situations, annoying tics, etc.

Many companies will not hire unless they feel that the spouse backs the job 100%

@Marine There are companies I wouldn't want to work for because they place importance on rather unimportant things. This falls into that category for me, along with marital status and facial hair.

My job required working late at night and on the weekends and the companies were concerned that my wife might not support my efforts and result in marital problems.I think this was a valid concern of the company as they did not want to be responsible for the marriage to be destroyed because of the job.

Sometimes true but often not. I remember the tactic of some people to hang around A types in hopes of getting some leftovers.

My late partner had a big A type personality. A lot of people knew her but not me. After she died many introduced themselves but suggested we had met before. When I mantioned Parvin they would say, oh yes.

Shortly after moving here I was on the ferry. I saw a friend with someone else. He introduced us. The other guy asked where I lived and I told him (we were actually on the same street) and he seemed confused. I gave exact details and he said, with surprise, "Oh that's Parvin's house"!

One thing people did't seem to realize we were boty on the exact same page when it came to social issues. They would listen to her but criticize me.

@silvereyes Hmm, good thing I have thick skin. Yes, to some I can be annoying. Was your grandmother a sweet, likable tiger? My partner was and many people felt her fangs (but they didn't seem to mind).

@silvereyes I wonder how she felt inside. I have known couples like that and one was usually seething inside. Not healthy.

I think my private life should be quite separate from my work life. As long as it does not affect my work performance. I would find that terribly intrusive.

@SACatWalker of course for a president of the united states, there is alot more scrutiny. Although a few presidents have hid their character well.

Yes and no. If you are willing to be around assholes then it does say something about you one way or the other.

That's slightly different from what I've heard: You shouldn't judge someone by who they love, but by their friends. We can't control who we fall in love with, but we can control who we spend time with.

In my experience you can't rely on either completely.

JimG Level 8 Mar 27, 2018

Company may give its adhverse and positive both impacts. Company of a group explains various things about character. But its not always correct to judge a person according to their company,may be a person become protagonist from bad company. We must never forget about " Lotus always bloom in the mud".

FAIZ Level 5 Mar 27, 2018

I would say yes, I gravitate towards people that are like me.

I think it sucks. I am reminded of when I was a teen. My friend Michael Had mental health issues. He was manic. He got heavy into drugs, alcohol. He would huff anything. I think that did some permanent brain damage. He dropped out of school. Sometimes he was a real chore to be around. He could be so unpredictabe, sometimes out of control. My Mom told me to stop hanging around with him. She couldn't stand him. She said, "People judge you by the friends you keep and he is a bad influence". I looked my Mom straight in the eye and said, "Did it ever occur to you that maybe I am a good influence on him?" .She was nice to Michael after that. A couple months later she says to me, "you know he is a nice kid and pretty funny, he's just really messed up." I said, I know, and thankyou.

This does tell you a great deal about the individual. On two jobs that I worked for I was required to meet with my soon to be employer with my wife. They look for the wife's support knowing what the demands of the job are going to be.They also look for their spouses personality traits. The interview can be very intense.

Can't always do that but when someone says they dated a drug-dealing Nazi and then defends the relationship a little judgement is appropriate.

I think so, yes.

Absolutely. I'm careful of who's company I keep, because I wasn't when I was younger.

Guys have different rules for who they're friends with I think, than women do.

not necessarily. i am not in favour of a dualistic view on any humanitarian matters. people serve, they change, they evolve, they learn - it's all in a life.

What kind of logic is that? The return of "Droit du seigneur" - right of feudal lords to sleep with their subjects wives? Wow, conservativism is really making a comeback 🙂

jeffy Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

Meeting them both can give great insight, but as you know, no two people can agree on everything.
I think you can get a general idea of what a person is willing to tolerate and how drastic the views of the SO might be.

I don't believe that's true at all. I have always known and associated with every thing from bikers to doctors and every thing between. So if you judge me that way you are going to get a pretty confusing impression of who l might be.

Yesssssssssss....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44171
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.