Agnostic.com

53 9

Can you have too many books?

• 70 votes
  • 15 votes
Sooz 6 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. When they topple over and smother you, there are too many.

If it interferes with your life, wellbeing and happiness, yes.

I need books. I recently got an E-Reader, because my physical book collection was turning my house into a weird cat lady kind of house.

How could someone ever say that you can have too many books! It's sacrilegious!

So atheists can't ever be sacrilegious? ; )

@Sooz Yes, but not when it comes to books! 🙂

I don’t think one can have too many books. And the measure of how many is too many cannot be based on whether the owner can read them all or not. If that were to be the case, then, since not all the books in the Library of Congress will be read, then that library has too many books. Which is a ridiculous statement brought about by a false premise.
And regarding atheists calling other atheists “sacrilegious”, of course they can since the word definition for it talks about only a violation of what is sacred, and sacred should not be automatically though as to be connected with religious beliefs.

I used to have lots of books, but I have moved too many times to want to accumilate a collection of them again.

Most of us generally tend to read a book only once.

I have at least 6 beloved books that I read every few years. Some since middle and high school. The Outsiders, Island of the Blue Dolphins, The World According to Garp and Beach Music are ones that immediately come to mind.

@Marcie1974 I've read all of those except "beach Music", but I added that to my list of books to read. Thanks.

Some books I enjoy rereading once in a while are
Shogun
East of Eden
The Persian Boy
Socks (by Beverly Cleary)
Huckleberry Finn

Only th elast two would be for "younger readers"

Yup, I almost never re-read a book on purpose. There are simply too many newer ones I can't wait to experience. But I'm the same with films. I almost never re-watch, for the same reason. I just don't get people spending a lot on owning DVDs. I can't believe I'm that much of a novelty junkie.

Hmm... I am not so sure a book is to be read only once. We change over time and our new experiences re-shape us in ways that may make the re-reading of a book a novelty. Plus, books are to be shared, just like movies and music.

@Rodatheist I enjoy rereading some books from time to time, and yes, as my perspecti changes, I do get new things out of the books. Some (in fact manyt) books are simply not interesting enough to read more than once. If I didn't find insights and interest the first tiem through, but it was merely entertaining (or worse), then I probably wont' re read it.

I have more books than I will probably ever read. And yet I buy more. They take a significant amount of room in my house. I recently read "A Prayer for Owen Meany." The copy I had was old and as I read the book it was falling apart. I felt bad tossing away the parts of the book when I was done, while at the same time it felt like a relief to be able to get rid of at least one book cluttering my house.

That was one of the few Irving books I didn't care for.

When I was mobile and moving a lot I had to weed my book collection often for practicality. I only kept what I couldn't part with. They were mostly second hand paperbacks, and I'd read all of them multiple times.
Then I lived in a group house in Boulder CO and a woman moved in and filled all common space with shelves of books--not collectors' stuff, just books.
I thought it was great. I saw some tiles I recognized and asked her opinion of their worth. Every time, she said, "I haven't read that one yet."
She was my opposite! In terms of owning books she knew, she had fewer than I did. It was all for show. She owned too many books.

I collect all sorts of books. I have a library where I have an antique books collection and a Manga collection and sooooo many in between

I've become a minimalist over the past 10 years or so. It's not necessarily about too many books. It's about too many things, period. I find myself perpetually downsizing. I don't hang on to anything unless I use it regularly or have plans to do something with it in the fairly immediate future. The only exception is my toolbox. I don't currently use it, but I know if times get tough, I can drag it out & have a decent job within a day or two, if needed.

My husband and I went to the bookstore yesterday and bought 5 more books to add to our collection. Between my books and my kindle I have plenty to keep me busy for months. That won't stop me from buying more the next time I'm near a book store. It's probably a good thing I live more than an hour away from one.

Some of us do move now ant again. Moving books that have not been read in many years - and will not be read again is a horrific waste.

Only when you are moving!

JK666 Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

Just finished packing up all my books!!! (Several hundred) I had to take a quick look at each one just to be sure that life itself did not depend on a few of them! I ended up with maybe 50...even as I intended to release all of them! There is so much wisdom in these books (they are non-fiction). It has been painful, but i cannot get books in a 'tiny house,' 1500 miles away! So I will have to trust, that I got all that I could use out of these tresures and go forward into a new day, for new wisdom! Why do I think that I should have memorized all those books and it wouldn't matter now?

I've known quite a few people who got up to twenty and more fully functional years on you. In our generation 78 was really ancient, but many who came before us left it in the dust! Look at Betty White. I was acquainted with both Bob Hope and Herb Jeffries; may others who made it to and pushed 100. We're a full generation+ from them. Lots more ahead for those with a mind and a nose pointed at the future!

@Silver1wun Optimist!

@Sooz Not based on experience, yet. But lots of neighborhood observation. 😉

Only when you are moving!

JK666 Level 7 Apr 18, 2018

One can NEVER have too many books. EVER.

When I purchased my retirement home , my ,"little ," brother , phoned our Mom and told her , to tell me to get rid of my books . Mom can read a hard back in a day , and where she lived , they sent a library truck weekly to drop off her stack of books for the week . I told Mom , the new-to-me house I'd just bought , came with a library . We laughed . I have an additional three book cases , and a large portion of the shelves in the library are double stacked . I've read all except those in a foreign language , at least once , and sometimes more often . The nice thing about growing older is , memory fades , and I can reread a book without knowing how it's going to end . Had a man once tell me , that keeping books , was like owning a trophy case . My response was , it's more like a room full of friends , I can reread them when I can't get around , or loose power , I can share special ones with other friends , if you stack them on outside walls , they provide insulation for a cold room , they're decorative , they improve your mind , expand your knowledge , and in a dire emergency , if you loose heat during a horrible winter storm , and you're really , really desperate , you can maybe , put your least favorite in the fireplace .

There is a nice sentimental reason to have physical volumes but they are totally impractical. I had an 800+ volume scifi collection I had to sell/abandon when I moved from NJ to FL 5 years ago. I only kept the most valuable or signed copies. Also now that I am older it is harder for me to read print volumes with small text. I vastly prefer to use a Kindle or iPad where I can adjust the typefaces.

If your collection is similar to a public libraries, mostly fiction, you have too many books.

Only if they are rubbish. I collect books.

Depends on how many bookcases fit in your home

hen I feel my bookcase is too full I donate some books to our local library. I had a book ritten by my German uncle of his experiences in the war. 4 years in a tank on the Ruddian front and then 5 years in a Siberian gulag. He illustrated it and had only one copy in English. After a number of years I thought hat am I going to do with this book so I donated it to the library's special book section.

The planet is fucked anyway as we know it and I love books but only keep the ones I've read and that's only on the toilet lol.

I noticed you didn’t say “buy”.

Marz Level 7 Mar 27, 2018

On purpose. A lot of mine have come used from library sales and thrift shops, and since I review books on my blog at times, I am able to get free advance digital copies. Personally I think we can buy too many new hardcover books when that money could be better spent in so many ways (not that I want the publishers to go out of business, but at this point in my life, I do think if our charitable funds are limited, we should use the library and library sales more).

@Sooz blog? do you want to share where we find your blog? or prefer to keep your worlds separate? 🙂

@crazycurlz My worlds can mush and mash together for all I care. Don't like to be/seem pushy. Find my Creating in Flow blog at [psychologytoday.com]

@Sooz thanks for posting. Fun to explore other peoples' worlds!

Don't read as much -have more books than that. LOL

No such thing as enough books... though these days I try to get Kindle editions when possible. I have a lot of hard copies left too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:44678
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.