Agnostic.com

43 22

Do you find Youtube videos more helpful than instruction manuals?

Yesterday I could not get my new, computerized, Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine to work. The LED screen showed a bobbin icon.

To find out what this means, I tried Google searches. Looked up LED icons in the manual and all it said was "bobbin." Not helpful.

I carefully read the instruction manual. Re-threaded the machine. Re-wound the bobbin, wasting thread. Aauugh!

Aggravated, I returned to a Singer Youtube beginner instruction video for my sewing machine. As a visual/kinesthetic learner, it was great to see a woman demonstrate the steps. After winding the bobbin, she said while demonstrating:

"Now firmly push the empty bobbin spindle all the way to the left."

That was the key. After I did that, the sewing machine worked.

The instruction manual did not mention this. I wrote it in the manual.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have felt instruction manuals should always be checked by somebody that doesn't know how to use the device to find and document the assumptions a more experienced user would already know.

Quite right. I sometimes write procedures for sections of company departments.

After every dozen or so steps I get someone to step through to check where we are.

A good video is hard to beat. I often google instructions and find some videos are better than others, as one would expect. Good manuals are more rare.

OK

I am aware of you tube how to videos.
I have never used one.

That is not what caught my attention, AT ALL.

I am a product of the 60's and 70's. My Father was a victim of the Korean war, which left my mother working to support six kids in the 60's
AS A STEAMSTRESS.

Thusly I grew up around sewing, and have more than a working familiarity with it.

WTF kind of star Trek BS is " computerized Singer Quantum Stylist sewing machine"?

After you load the pesky bobbin you just say, "little black dress to fit me"?
and friggin wait?

ROFL

As a long time seamstress myself...that's damned funny

@Davesnothere

I needed a new sewing machine to make a buttonhole in a jacket I made. My 65-year-old Husqvarna sewing machine buttonhole setting failed.

I gave my daughter my old sewing machine and a sewing kit. Claire, 29, was excited. "I feel thrilled and honored to have it."

"Growing up, I loved falling asleep to the sound of your sewing machine," she said. "I still fall asleep listening to a sound machine today."

@Davesnothere

Amazon.com said they had professional seamstresses test all of the sewing machines Amazon sells.

The #1 top rated sewing machine chosen by the professionals was the Singer Quantum Stylist 9960.

Amazon had it on sale for $300 with free shipping. That's why I chose it.

@LiterateHiker Its not any judgement on you, but my own amazement at that title!

"computerized Singer Quantum Stylist sewing machine"

To me it was like skipping from an album to an I pod with no step in between.

How in hell is it quantum (nice advertising slogan) but I think quantum stiching is beyond us.

Have you ever tried to read a manual of some gadget bought from China. The English in them is just hilarious to try to comprehend.

I once came across a ‘vegetable graper with stainless steel brades’. Wish I had bought it now!

@Geoffrey51 That quote is a fine example of C.H.A.W. Stands for Chinese Half Assed Way. Some friends long ago coined the term especially for poor translations to/from English. A favorite of theirs was the translation of Clint Eastwood's "Pale Rider" as "Pale Driver." The translator didn't understand that the titular character was riding a horse, not driving a car.

@alliwant Unfortunately they often want to cut corners and save money. So they get the cheapest translator available.

I find videos often take forever to get to the point, and sometimes are based on dated versions of the products they talk about. When it comes to software it's hard to find a video that's in sync with what I have.

I tend to prefer instruction manuals but you're right, sometimes they are so badly written / incomplete that a good video can be better. Often, you can search for 3rd party sites and user comments; these can often be superior to official documentation.

I guess it all depends on the topic, or subject.
One comes to mind is Uses and techniques in Digital Recording/Editing/Mastering, Mixing.
For the programs them selves I'm good with mostly the manual. But, for different ways, and different effects, I prefer a vid. That way I can not only see what they are doing, but I can hear it as well.
An instruction manual just can't do that.

Technical stuff is way easier for a dyslectic like me to watch and learn as opposed to reading manuals... I always go to YouTube when I get bogged down..

blzjz Level 7 Jan 7, 2020

It depends .I use YouTube videos to repair many different things such as when I repaired a clothes dryer with a rebuild kit for $25 dollars .User manuals do not give you information on extensive repairs

Yes, I change my leaking tap after watching a utube video. Saved me some money not to call a plumber to do it for me. Now let me find one on do it yourself brain surgery.

I love your posts! I`ll usually check both before I get into the "hands on".

Della Level 6 Jan 7, 2020

@Della

Thank you! Hugs. Kathleen

Yes the videos are often better than the manuals. The problem is google owns youtube, and we are being sold to, our history is being tracked. I'm tired of being a commodity for billionaires to profit by.

Yes, but did you check the page marked intentionally left blank? It's usually very helpful. 🤔

Yes. YouTube is your friend.

I often watch Youtube videos for instructions. Sometimes ti takes more than just watching a single video to figure out the problem. I mostly used them though when I don't have an instruction manual.

When ihave an instruction manual I cna usually figure things out. However, it isnt' always wasy to find what you are looking for in an instruction manual. For instance I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy s10+ and I did of course download a PDF manual... but it is so long and takes forever just to find the section I need. It is simpler and faster to find instructions on Youtube to figure otu what I want to do.

That seems to me to be a fault in the manual.

I almost infinitely prefer a diagram that I can read step by step, versus a video that goes by relentlessly as I try to manipulate tiny parts and springs (I only look online for how to do my own handgun upgrades, parts exchanges and so on, so I don't have to pay a guy $40 to install a $50 part). Do you know how hard it is to try and hit the pause button while holding a frame in one hand and a mini-pliers in the other, trying not to lose my grip on a 1/8" spring (which, due to the laws of physics, will automatically shoot into the farthest corner of the room if I do accidentally let it go)?

A video can show things that should have been in the manual in the first place, but a good manual- well, it will make those things clear, won't it?

@Paul4747

You're right about pausing a video that goes too fast for you. That's why I watch the video more than once.

Why not remove the bullets before repairing your gun? That's common sense.

@LiterateHiker Uhhhh... I used the word "shoot" in a different sense than that. "Fly"? might have been better? I was referring to the tiny spring disappearing into the corner never to be seen again.

@LiterateHiker Yes, I absolutely unload a firearm before any type of maintenance, just to put your mind at rest on that point.

I think both are helpful. Which is more so varies by application. In general, I prefer pictures as they are so much faster.

I agree with you

The person that wrote the instruction manual is an incompetent dimwit. (I happen to write instruction manuals.) The person that hired that dimwit needs to be fired.

Manuals in Chinglish are almost useless but a lot of DIY "how to" video are worse,especially those where the person is juggling the camera, flashlight and two tools and/or can't get the camera near what he/she is doing.

Simply, yes.

id rather do u tube then instructons any day

trx1 Level 4 Jan 7, 2020

Sometimes if they’re short. Seems I’m impatient to do things I have to do but don’t want to and seeing is faster than reading.

I usually need both. Don't feel inadequate! Linda and I both had to use youtube vids, and the translated from chinese manuals for her new Scancut.

You got it!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:446891
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.