Agnostic.com

43 3

Purpose

So most religious people believe that atheists do not have much to live for because we are godless heathens, so my question is, what brings meaning to your life? Or do you even have to have a "purpose" to live?

TyrionLannister 5 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fuck purpose, just live because that's the part you know as well as knowing you're going to die.

No one has a purpose. Life is a random series of events that ends in death.

Assign whatever value you want to whatever thing/idiom/cause you want, it's all arbitrary and meaningless.

Yeah, that's one of the more idiotic criticisms of athiesm. They have the same purposes as everyone: family, friends, career, art, life, making the world a better place, etc. Minus the devotion to an invisible superfriend.

For me, the inherent will to live is strong. Further, I enjoy love, beauty, art, music, foods, explorations, physical arts, feelings, sexuality, exercise, playing with my son, the pursuit of wisdom, knowledge, understanding. That we are all aspects of nature / the Universe knowing itself ... is fascinating to me. I know that there is no ultimate purpose for the universe as a whole other than simply to be what it is. I do not think religion provides any more ultimate purpose than that either, since even IF there were a God, its purpose would be the same -- to be what it is! All other purposes are relative. And despite the fact that this planet is too often a horrible, nasty, polluted, ugly, painful, tortuous place for too many people and animals too much of the time, I still find love, beauty, joy, and value in myself and my fellows, and I still find meaning in trying to make things good, better, to maximize the best pleasures and values I've found, especially the values of love, joy, peace, harmony, wisdom, knowledge, understanding.

Meaning and purpose are brought to you by what you do and what you like to do. Nothing or nobody can give you purpose. It's the same with meaning.

Ultimately I see no purpose to life. It occurs as an unlikely consequence of a near infinite number of random occurrences that gradually evolved into what we are today. We were nothing prior to conception and will return to the same void after death. I don't see that as being pesimistic. Once we die that's the end and nothing matters. To try to give a purpose to a brief existence is meaningless.

What if the void is a plenum?

What if is a theist type question. What if we're actually pets of giant dolphins? Then our purpose is their entertainment. What if ants are going to take over the world? We would be their slaves. What if questions without some substance are meaningless.

Be kind and listen. It's hard not to be non-judgemental. It's an art that I haven't quite mastered yet but hopefully will soon one day.
Our interactions give us meaning and can make us feel good.

Purpose and meaning ? Why.

Sharing my love with others and being loved. Bringing happiness to young children through magic.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

Life is beautiful for me - I am an artist - I love every part of what I do - I love most of my life - I have D.I.D and it's gentle I am with a very loving person and we live near each other and think and feel and act in tune and when we don't we find the way through. I had a really difficult earlier life and now I am seventy I feel freer than I have ever been- It seems in retrospect that my greatest learning need to be leaarnign to be loved - I do stay away from noisy people and those who 'know ' whats best for me and how I should be feeling thinking and acting - Nice to be able to just tune them out and get on with craft work.

Correction... Atheists have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for. That being said my "purpose" is of my own making. To live a good life. To raise my kids to not be assholes. And to learn something new every chance I get.

Drawing a breath and having sufficient neurological activity are all you need to be alive. Everything else is up to you to decide what it all means - if anything at all. Personally, singing psalms and hymns on a Sunday does not cut it for me.

I wish I knew. I try to make my wife happy any way I can. Her smile brings me joy...I am not sure if that is a very lofty purpose or not.

Nuke Level 5 Mar 29, 2018

I live for any number of reasons. Springing to mind in no particular order: my daughter, my friends, satiating my curiosity, enjoying my life, and many more.

No, just a pulse.

I've never understood why it's considered "purpose" to have a dictator tell us what to do, or that it's necessarily a good thing. I'm picturing slaves toiling in the fields under threat of the whip, one saying to another, "Well, at least we have purpose."

Life is its own means and end.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45174
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.