Agnostic.com

22 1

Will water be the new oil?

How safe is your supply? Do you know?

#oil
atheist 8 Mar 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why do you think China is willing to expend resources on controlling Tibet? It is the source of freshwater for a quarter of the world's population.

Conflicts have been escalating in the last 50 years over acess to water, dams, canals, pipelines, pollution, etc. in many parts of the world especially the Middle East, India and Africa. It is both the source of conflict and the weapon. It isn't just about drinking water, it's about water for stock, irrigation and destruction of fisheries, as well as the loss of arable land.

[www2.worldwater.org]

Kimba Level 7 Mar 29, 2018

@atheist China is much better at playing the long game than the western world but then they have been around a lot longer as well.

I hope not. That will make for some pretty shitty tasting tea.

a different kind of black

yes It already is in the westren US

@atheist no

@atheist not sure I am understanding you

@atheist they are

@atheist you have some reading to do. you don't have to dig too deep

I think it already is but it's happening under the radar....I suddenly sound like a conspiracy theorist ? "Hang onto your taps, were all going to die of thirst!"

And then some, oil is on the way out and will be replaced by renewables, water will be available, but not free, desalinastion and cleaning water costs a lot, we consume so much of it. If I had any brains I would sort a large underground supply for my gardens with solar pumps and a means of filtering it for domestic purposes. 😎

@atheist I have. I adjoin 800 acres of wetland, there are millions of gallons of fresh water in the ground. I have a "spear" in the ground in my shed, it does down 4 metres with a real fine steel mash filter on the end. The pipe comes up to a caravan water pressure pump that is 12 volt, connected to a deep cycle battery and a 240 watt solar panel, delivers 17 litres a minute. Garden loves it. I have the beginnings of a water distillation plant, bit also have a family sized nano filter thingy that will produce about 80 gallons of water a day.

@atheist possibly, we call them a sand spear, but sounds like the same thing, some guys use something similar when camping on islands, mine is just deeper and permanent. Works so well, is amazing how green the back of my place is in a drought.

In some parts of the world , and the USA - it already is. The water wars have begun in earnest. And yet people continue to overuse, pollute, and act as if we have an endless supply.
They are so wrong ...

Yes, we have legal cases running at the moment, one region taking action against another claiming they take too much from a river system.

@Rugglesby For a real eye opener - find a copy of "Mirage" , by Cynthia Barnett - what you speak of is the tip of a huge iceberg !

see california

@Ella Some folks in Arizona, including Senator McCain, have floated the idea of running a water pipeline from Lake Superior down to Phoenix. Yep, water is going to be the next oil.

In the Pacific Northwest water is pretty plentiful and mostly cleaner than other parts of the U.S.

However, it does bother me that when George W. Bush was in office the Bush family was buying water rights in South American countries. I think clean water will be a problem in the future an dsoem peopel with political influence will try to make it happen in order to make a profit.

oh yes and we have most of it. so we expect an invasion presently [ as that is the american way]

About 2 years ago National Geographic Magazine had a comprehensive article on how we will have worldwide water shortages in the future. Of course there is a solution...stop raising livestock.

Someone once told me Ted Turner owns the most land/water rights...haven't fact checked can't be bothered it's been a long day....I'm going to rely on a nerdy person.

Globally, water shortages are becoming a very real thing. We are safe in this country for the time being on that front. As to the safety of our water, there does seem to be more problems on that front as well. It also doesn't help that Russia has been doing some hacking probing all of our important stuff: Water, power grids and the like.

hope not - I buy a case a week.

I know mine is not safe. I have received letters from the water authority that says total dissolved solids (TDS) levels are high but its ok to drink. That's like saying the lava is hot but it's ok to swim! Lol

@atheist I got letters in 2013, 2015,and 2017. All citing roughly the same issue. Here is a short excerpt of one of the letters. "This is not an immediate health risk. If it had been you would have been notified immediately. However some people who drink water containing excess levels over many years may develop problems with their liver, kidneys, or central nervous system and may have an increased risk of getting cancer." I switched to bottled drinking water years ago.

@atheist Florida and Georgia have been in court over fresh water for years!

t[washingtonpost.com]

@atheist It is still in deliberation at the supreme court as far as I know. If Florida looses this case then they will have to look at alternatives like desalination because there are two other watersheds in the state that are starting to show problems as well.

@atheist Yes! About 10 of these would do the job for Florida.

[scientificamerican.com]

@atheist I'm including an assumed % contribution from the existing resources. So yes...

Its already becoming that way.

indeed

I have read articles, engines can run on water.

Yes. Check out "The Big Short" too.

@atheist LOL you're the one who started the topic 😉 😀

Absolutely, probably not in my lifetime, but it won't be long.

@atheist I'm sure my daughter and grandkids care quite a bit.

Yup.
Already is.

Wait until it gets worse.

@atheist you don't have a choice

Water willl be more valuable than gold,

@atheist Depends how thirsty they are.

it's the one thing that ruins my fantasy of moving out to the middle of nowhere. If we can't care enough about Flint's water I've little hope for smaller towns.

Be more specific, please.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:45891
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.