Agnostic.com

13 3

Have you ever attended an event and you were asked to pray?

I was in such a situation a few hours ago. I had to pretend that I had a persistent cough and fortunately enough someone else volunteered. There was no way I was going to confess my agnosticism in a crowd of close minded christians.

GladToBeFree 5 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let's be logical here. Prayer to a non existing entity will not change much in this world. Maybe you will exhale a little more hot air than usual, but this is the extent of your prayer's effect.

I will never lead a prayer, but I will mumble with the crowd. No matter what we think, we cannot offend people. Most of my friends know tat I am an atheist, yet some still pray in my presence. I am not offended.

I have not been asked to pray but have been there when assumed I would “participate”. So like a lot of us I just stand quietly and don’t bow my head or close my eyes. I came out just several years ago although I have been a non -believer in a believers world for a very long time. I then realized just going along was as bad for me as being a sheep. I live in a pretty open minded area but I still find being open to be uncomfortable

When unavoidable, I sit with my mouth shut and I'm mzee enough and stubborn enough to get away with it. But if you are tied to a bunch of gullible, brain-washed christians, often relatives, who regard apostasy as worse than heresy, you need to be more subtle. A bad cough is not a bad solution. Perhaps a bit of gentle irreverence when not in church would gradually get them to realise you are not as devout as them, without revealing the true extent of your agnosticism.

Good idea. I will try that.

Yes, and I said very politely to pick someone else. I did not have to explain why. If pressed I would have said that praying is something that I don't do.

Wow. A Kenyan atheist. Be careful my sister. Kenya is not Uganda but none the less you are outnumbered to the extreme.
You know our President Obama was Kenyan. Just kidding. We miss him vary much. What a wonderful President he was. Yes. His father & half siblings are Kenyan. One day I wish to visit before all of the wildlife is gone.
You are not required to reveal your personnal beliefs so I hope you do not feel pressure to do so. Stay safe & well.

Haha.... Thanks. Am still a closet atheist.

I'm Kenya born and bred, and was openly atheistic there, but then I didn't belong to a devout family. Many of my Kenyan friends would quietly confess to scepticism, but only to trusted friends. In some ways it is a bit like living in the USA bible belt, except that other religions are mainly well tolerated. It's non-belief in anything that seems hard to accept.

@Agnosticatheist1 perhaps you could pretend you've gone back to worshipping the old gods of your ancestors. - mimi na tanganya memsahib!

I wouldn't do it unless it was life-threatening.

Great answer Leigh, and straight to the point !

thank you @madmac, there's no point beating around the bush. I would and have promised over a bible in court too but it meant fuck all to me and everything to my judges.

@LeighShelton oh was that why I lost my cast iron case because I affirmed - doh!

it's a possibility lol

I take it you don't live in an area where atheism is no big deal... like Oregon or Washington states.

No, I live in an area where atheism is a very big deal. People here are deeply religious.

@Agnosticatheist1 Having been raised as a Mormon myself, My idea of hell is living in Utah. I've lived in California, Oregon and Washington states, and have had no problems about my being atheist. I hear Boulder, Colorado is also a good place (in the U.S.) to be an atheist.

i refuse to bow my head

Yes. I replied, "I would perfer that someone else do it."

I will just keep quiet listen and experience the jouney

Rosh Level 7 Mar 30, 2018

Yes, I've gone to several baptisms for family members. I do not participate in prayer or songs.

I also don't say grace. Was awkward as a child in grandparent's house, but just as a Christian won't denounce their faith, I won't denounce my lack of.

Only a couple of funerals but I just stand quietly. No one's ever had their knickers in a twist about it.

Yikes! No, it's not happened, but I've been living inThailand since I stopped believing in Christianity completely.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46238
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.