Agnostic.com

13 22

Today's hike: Tibbets Mountain. No rednecks shooting guns this time.

The last time Karen and I hiked local Tibbets Mountain in 2018, redneck guys shot gunfire over our heads. We called 911. The sheriff said he gets complaints several times a week about shooting in Hay Canyon. "It's illegal for people to shoot over your head," he said.

"Let's watch this guy and see if he has a gun," Karen said today, as a man drove a pickup up to the trail head. "If he does, we can leave and hike someplace else." Instead he left.

"This is conditioning my legs for steep hikes," Karen said. It was steep. We hiked 4.7 miles total with 2,500 feet of elevation gain.

In 2018, I told my hiking partners I don't want to hike in Hay Canyon anymore. Each time, we have been frightened by gunshots and men jumping out of trucks waving guns. But Karen convinced me to give it a try.

Beautiful views of Mt. Stuart and the Enchantments. Wildflowers are starting to bloom on south-facing hillsides. Sage Buttercups and Yellow Bells.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful. Do you have a Latin name for yellow bells, so that I can look them up please ?

@Fernapple

Yellow bell wildflowers or Fritillaria pudica.

I don't get your gun laws. In Australia you are allowed to own guns and because of the wildness of our country sometimes it's necessary as it may be for you. I shoot competitively, at paper targets. We have extremely strict laws on who can own guns. Any history of violence or intentional law breaking and you don't get a licence. I can lose my licence by driving too far over the speed limit or drunk driving (deliberate law breaking) and so having a firearms licence makes me more aware of staying within the law. We have almost zero gun crime, none from registered owners and little from illegal guns because possession of a gun without a licence means a prison sentence by itself. Your problem is not the guns, although why anyone would need automatic weapons is beyond me, but that you have inadequate control over who owns guns. We are not allowed to have or use a gun for self defence or defence of property. There are no circumstances where it is legal to use a gun on a person and we are not allowed to use a gun any where near others, which excludes national parks or public land. The fact that you can go walking and be scared by others using guns is obscene but it is because you allow the wrong people to have them.

Ah......
But here, we're "The Gunfighter Nation".
👌😎

@bigpawbullets I'd laugh it wasn't so tragic.

@Cyklone
"The Gunfighter Nation" -- excellent book explaining why us "Muricans" are steeped in the myth of the "lone gunfighter". I'm a classic example.

@bigpawbullets sorry, didn't know that, but now I have something else to read. We have a similar issue with Aussies steeped in their own myth as outback rebels which is amusing when you consider that 95% of Aussies live in cities 🙂

Nice pics.

An orange safety vest might be a good investment.

MizJ Level 8 Feb 25, 2020

@MizJ

A vest would be hidden by my daypack.

It's not hunting season.

@LiterateHiker Buy 2 and attach one to your daypack.

@MizJ

During hunting season, I attach an orange vest to my daypack and wear bright clothes.

Beautiful photos and it sound like a nice hike

CS60 Level 7 Feb 25, 2020

Sweet! I need to do more elevation hiking! You make me feel inspired!

Such a beautiul area,,great to see spring flowers starting ,they are in Victoria also,,we are haveing a big snow storm over the next few days Gun shots in ones local area is never good,especially strays

Beautiful. We’re about to get a blast of winter later this week. 😭

Great photos, as always. Keep 'em coming! 🙂

I would vote to eliminate the 2nd Amendment from the U.S. Constitution. It's stated purpose is outdated. We no longer need citizen militias, because we have standing armies. Then, I would support a law that nobody can have firearms, with the exception of police officers and the military. We have a shooter on our road who is frequently doing target practice. The noise is aggravating. Darn rednecks! Ugh!

I have practice shooters too! Maybe we are few, but I would be counted in your group where guns are concerned! Why does a person need a gun to go shopping in their own town or any town? Are they expecting me to go ‘off ‘ and will need to defend themselves by shooting me? (What I think.) in my 80 years I have never needed a gun! I know that I am only one out of 336,000,000, but still...

@Freedompath I have never needed a gun, either, in all my 60 years.

@BestWithoutGods

Three years ago, I was asked to be the local coordinator for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. After thinking it over, I realized I felt terrorized by angry gun nuts.

I felt afraid of being shot and killed at a gathering by a crazy gun zealot.

Jerks carry assault rifles to Moms Demand Action meetings in an attempt to silence women.

@LiterateHiker I would feel the same!!! They could even go off accidentally! Feeling the need to carry a gun in your everyday life, fits on the insanity side of people to me!

@motrubl4u ...you could take up a ‘learning’ hobby! Cleaning gets boring and adds not one new brain cell!

@Freedompath

Thank you.

@motrubl4u ...you missed the ‘mark’ on this one! I suggested that you might take up a hobby that increased brain cells...as I know how they are vital as we age! Most of my life’s focus has been about the brain! Maybe, my post was not as clear as it should have been, that I can apologize for! But, your jumping the ‘gun’ didn’t paint a great picture of you, either!

@motrubl4u You can laugh now, but in about 20 years, you will understand what I had in mind...firsthand!!!

@motrubl4u We've got the police and the military to protect our freedoms. It is difficult to believe a guy with guns who calls himself "More Trouble For You."

@BestWithoutGods People who have not developed their ‘personal power’ will always need personal protection from guns! One of those modern dilemmas...personal fear!

@motrubl4u My comment was not meant as an insult. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I offer you a virtual handshake (✋). Why don't we just agree to disagree agreeably. 🙂

@LiterateHiker
Strutting around, branishing a weapon to intimidate people is extremely rude behavior. Totally uncalled for.

@bestwithoutgods
I think we'll have to agree to disagree here about the 2nd amendment, as well as the roles of our military and LEOs. I suspect that's because you and I've walked different paths in our lives. But I respect your right to your opinions and views.

@motrubl4u

Insulting members is against Community Guidelines.

@motrubl4u

I reported you for violating the Community Guidelines. Stop insulting members.

@motrubl4u I, too, have served in the military. Military Intelligence, to be precise.

Oh I'm so jealous. I love the mountains, and these shots are beautiful! I'm back in Florida and there are none here obviously. I can't wait for my trip to Mexico in December; my daughter's grandparents have a mountain ranch in Oaxaca and it's gorgeous views like these every day.

KTRoo Level 1 Feb 25, 2020

Great hike and pics! Glad there was no shooting

Rednecks? No . . . they are Warriors! Patriots!

@Observer-Effect

In 2018, we met the shooters at the trailhead. They were two young guys who looked like extras from the "Deliverance" movie.

"We were shooting at branches, aiming at the tips for practice," one guy explained. "We didn't know that," I replied. "It was terrifying. Did you hear us yelling?" They did.

I told my hiking partners I don't want to hike in Hay Canyon anymore. Each time, we have been frightened by gunshots and men jumping out of trucks waving guns.

To warn other hikers, I posted a trip report on Tibbets Mountain on the WA Trails Association website. Also sent a letter to the Cashmere Chamber of Commerce.

We are living in a country where guns have completely gotten out of hand.

@motrubl4u I owned many guns in my life, and I don't look like that - nor think most gun owners look like that. But go ahead stud . . . generalize.

(Note: she said "rednecks" who were shooting over their heads - not just gun owners. I am a gun owner who would never lack discipline like that in my shooting. And only a scumbag would defend those who do such a thing.) <3 <3 <3

@LiterateHiker
I'd offer that people have gotten out of hand rather than inanimate objects.
I do understand your discomfort level though. Shooting near a hiking trail is bad behavior.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:463755
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.