Agnostic.com

19 6

Groceries emptied by panicked people. Is this happening where you live?

Today at Walmart, I was shocked that people had emptied the store of medical supplies, toilet paper and canned and prepared food.

Panicking, people are stocking up for coronavirus 14-day in-home quarantines.

Feeling anxious, I rushed to Fred Meyer (Kroger). Found the store well-stocked. But again, toilet paper shelves were bare amd glaring white. I grabbed the last package of Quilted Northern.

In Washington State where I live, Governor Jay Inslee declared a state of emergency after the first patient died of coronavirus on February 29.

Are people stocking up where you live, too?

[usatoday.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just did a quick inventory of supplies. If I had to I could survive for 90+ days as long as I restrict hand washing to 40-50 times a day and hand sanitizing to 25 times a day,. I've got TP and wet wipes as well as all my meds are well stocked, shaving supplies and bath soap for at least a year. But then again I just did a major replenishment run about 3 weeks ago and it a 1st of the quarter meds sent from the VA.

There are places that I understand the phenomenon- near a cruise ship or airport depot. They say each individual location should check for LOCAL ALERTS. To me it is bullshit to panic over 1 or 2 cases in a WHOLE state - let's focus on where there is a need - not allow herd mentality to make a problem WORSE !!!
When handing out checks ; or at counters ; at public places folks are putting out hand sanitizers( ok ,cool- it's still flu season)- but hoarding is a third world approach that harms the population; is counter productive; is basically a regressive selfish impulse.
Our legislators aren't in session- so they won't vote on calling in emergency funding till late March- they are on vacation( maybe in ISOLATION ???) That is how a rationing gov. body
works- the slack taken up by public institutions! There have been a handful of cases in New Jersey.Remember this has happened 3or4 times in the recent past .We should be improving on our handling of outbreaks , no?

I live in Northern Ireland and did a Supermarket shop last Wednesday (3 days ago), I just did a normal shop, including a 9 pack of toilet rolls. Asda seemed to have normal stock of everything except hand sanitizers (which I wasn’t going to buy anyway). However, I’m told by a friend that since then, there has been a massive increase in the number of people panic buying, and that today she had a hard job finding a parking space and then it was pandemonium inside with people piling their trollies high, and long queues at the checkouts. So yes...it seems to be pretty worldwide this panic buying, lucky I’ve got plenty food in the freezer and store cupboard.

I am always well stocked and could survive if I couldn't get to the store for 2 weeks. I have a chest freezer, large pantry, and even a generator, camp stove and other gear even if power was interrupted. Plan ahead, stock up a little at a time and there is not such thing as panic buying.

Yeah, they are. In tri cities at least. In Everett, not so much.

1of5 Level 8 Mar 7, 2020

Not here yet

Not that I have noticed in NW New Jersey area. They do first forcast of heavy snow which hasnt happened in am couple years.

Where i live here in Ontario No,,Our local Military base has been hosting quarnteed Canadians who have bee flown back from China , but no one has shown positive after two weeks and they have gone thru about 400 people here,Town is just taking it in stride like any other military exercise

They are, mostly on anything marked "antibacterial". The soap isles, ironically, seem just fine.

Apparently they missed the science class on bacteria and viruses

@MizJ Exactly! 🙂

All cleaners are gone.

Yep. Our Krogers is limiting things like hand sanitizer to a maximum of 5 per checkout.

Make your own hand sanitizer... Two thirds cup of rubbing alcohol plus one third cup aloe Vera gel...

@Cutiebeauty
If you ask most doctors..... soap and water is still the best.

@bigpawbullets yes that's true.. I wash hands and face frequently but I also use hand sanitizer.. It couldn't hurt 😋

@Cutiebeauty
Well, most hand sanitizers kill the "good" bacteria <the little guys wearing the white hats> as well as the "bad" <black hats> bacteria.

@IrishTxJudy I'm not saying hand sanitizer is a replacement for hand washing.. I use it in addition to hand washing as an extra layer of protection...

@IrishTxJudy, @bigpawbullets who makes these <little hats >?

When I did my routine shopping the other day, things looked pretty normal in the store. Good friends, however panic-shopped, stocking up for what they called "the great depopulation". I don't get it. A 2-3% mortality rate simply does not warrant this sort of reaction.

Zster Level 8 Mar 7, 2020

I agree, it's ridiculous. I stocked up on some things, mostly what I would want if I was home sick with the flu.

But Shitler said it was all a hoax.

Not yet here in NW Philly

Look at the upside: For the 2/3 of American's that are overweight or obese, three or four weeks of forced fasting would do them well.

yes, it is happening in Hawaii.... just wish I bought out stock in Gojo, proctor & Gamble, Johnson & Johnsons, Pfizer, Scott, kimberly clark, etc when it first started. 9 deaths in all of the U.S. this is government terrorism. more people have died from the common cold and other illnesses. Which government officials have stock in these companies. Anyone remember when Michael Taylor monsanto lawyer
became the lawyer of the FDA?

I feel your pain ; some do believe that teaching somone to be prepared should be PROFIT driven- anti humanistic( greed).
The tests that they had / were the wrong ones , so the inefficiency has set us back too.

@BBJong my point is this. there are only 9 deaths in the u.s. and media is making it like this is the ebola virus . something fishy

I warned people to buy MRE's, but they all said I was crazy. I am crazy, but I'm not gonna be hungry and crazy.

I prepared for the destruction of the Earth when the orange buttmonkey went to the White House.
And I always have two thousand gallons of water in the pond.
So, Ptttttttttt!!

Yes it is but I usually buy in bulk anyway so I'm fully stocked regarding toiletries, food, Lysol disinfectant, etc...

Same thing happening here. I can only conclude that these people must really be full of crap.

Well, there's no Sears catalogs anymore. And phone books are a thing of the past.
BIBLES!! That's it! They will save us!!!!

@PondartIncbendog 🤣🤣🤣😂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:467660
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.