Agnostic.com

12 8

As coronavirus fears shut schools, work-at-home parents are trying not to freak out.

"I love my daughter; I truly do. Even when she's a defiant and rambunctious 4-year-old. But when I read the notice from her private Jewish school that it had decided to close because of coronavirus, I cried."

"Big, heaving sobs."

"Like many, many parents around the country, I'm happy to help slow down the virus, but I'm panicked about quarantining or "social distancing" or whatever newfangled term you want to call "being stuck inside with the people you love most until you want to kill them."

"How are we going to survive a month (or more) of this?"

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Holy smokes I have been alone in Quarantine for over two weeks. Try that, you will be on your knees crying for some interaction. Take a deep breath close your eyes and say this too shal pass. Have sun shiney day even if it is raining!

Most schools in mid Missouri shut down now until April 3rd. Rumor has it that some may not re-open at all.

One of my staff has 18 yr old twin boys, a 16 yr old girl, and 12 yr old boy - on her own, as a fairly recent widow. She has been working hard to complete her B.A., with finals and last papers due this week. As she looked forward to wrapping up her undergrad and moving into getting her masters in education, Oregon has just closed schools through April.
I've given her extra time off and let her use a quiet space in the office a few times to regain study ground from suddenly having 4 kids at home all day, but have seen her stress rise steadily. I must admit that I look forward to her next three days off, fearful of a huge emotional meltdown, crisis at home, or illness.
My little life is looking pretty good!

Good of you to help her! She has a full plate for sure.

Linda & I are "self quarantining" as we're both exhibiting symptoms and are in the "elder" age group. Our house is big enough where we can comfortably carry on without stepping on each other's toes.

Being couped up with anyone (even those you love dearly) for a month or really any decent length of time, can be challenging. You will find out things about yourself and loved ones that maybe you would not have otherwise known; some of which may be good and some of which not so good. Good luck and have fun above all else. lol

@fernapple, @BobbyZen, @Petter, @Roy Millar

Sorry, I forgot to add the link:

[nbcnews.com]

Ah! I was a bit confused about the young age of your daughter, I must admit! 🤣😂😂

@Petter

My daughter is 30. She works for Evengreen Health Center, epicenter of the coronavirus in Seattle.

Claire work remotely at her house, 150 miles away from me.

@LiterateHiker My two are in England. One in Banstead, on the Southern fringe of Greater London, and the other in Godalming, Guildford, South West of London. They are "a bit" older than yours.

This is the strangest time any of us have ever seen. Follow the CDC hygiene guidelines and be kind to everyone, including yourself and your rambunctious 4 year old. Stress weakens the immune system. Find your calm spaces/activities. Stay well!

At least they are not missing work or losing their jobs as are many of those who work outside the home.

@Gwendolyn2018 I understand. I was just giving context. Hard to work v no job.

I share a house with my ex-wife (don't ask - financial stuff) and 4 kids, 3 of whom are registered as special needs with the local authority. My ex-wife and I had an argument last night that lead to her physically assaulting me. If we get quarantined, wish me luck.
PS. I'm fine, she lacks the strength to do any real damage.

You will survive, mothers always do, no choice. Sorry but its tough love coming your way.

@Gwendolyn2018 Yes but men are much better at avoiding responsibility, which makes it easier, and I don't think that Literatehiker is a father anyway.

@Gwendolyn2018 Yes the sexist remarks were intended as irony though.

@Gwendolyn2018 Yes I know, I keep telling myself that I should stop doing it on this site, since it is always getting me into trouble. But, its just a knee jerk reaction, I just have to do it. Lack of self control must be something to do with being a man.

You might cry even more if she caught it and became seriously ill, or cross-infected the family.

It is going to be a whole new learning experience I personally am one who is always out an the go coffee shops about 3 times a day plus other things ,all closed noe except for drive thru's Bit strange being home so much,caat loves it ,lots to do but just have to get off here to do it,First elderly person just died here in Ontario,My mothers 91 st birthday today but can not see her Nursing home is locked down for visitors ,hopefully it does not get in there as she has serious resporitor problems and would be at sever risk
Lets keep each other informed with whats happenning on our lives and our littlepart of the world where ever you reside.

Putting out my strongest stay-healthy vibes to your mom ❤️

Thank you very much Bobby ,greatly appreciated

@Bobbyzen "Putting out my strongest stay-healthy vibes". I like that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:471724
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.