Agnostic.com

12 19

My favorite hiking photo from 2019. Golden Week.

Golden Week-

Mt. Stuart and the Enchantments framed by ethereal, golden Northern Larch. Taken from Tronsen Ridge, WA. October 19, 2019

[wta.org]

Golden Week is magical to me. It only lasts a week. Then Larch needles drop off, creating a carpet of gold.

A strong wind can blow off gold needles. It thrills me to see Golden Week at its peak color.

Northern Larch are one of only two conifers in North America that lose their needles in the fall. Larch needles turn gold during one week in October.

Northern Larch grow at 3,000' to 9,000' feet elevation on the east side of the Cascade Mountains. They like north-facing exposures.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing.

Been racking my mind for the name we have for it in Ontario and eastern ||Canada and US called a Tamarack First learned of this tree when I was in scouts ,here is a link to it [google.com]

@RoyMillar

What's in a Name: Larch or Tamarack?

[flatheadbeacon.com]

Thanks a great write up ,explaining the various variants ,I guess depending what part of the country you are they have a favourite name for them

Have you ever noticed that the folks who complain about having to stay home and self social distance are the ones that are least likely to go for a hike or a bike ride in the mountains? This is a great time to go out and discover the great outdoors. Spring flowers are going to start coming out depending on the altitude and area you live. Enjoy and wonder at the natural beauty around us.

Looks like the Rockies in CO,
similarities to the golden aspen are quite stark.

Nice shot.

Lovely. I want to frame the first photo and hang it on my wall. 😀

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you! Me, too.

Beautiful....and not a crowd in sight!

I am with tool guy both pictures are very beautiful and natural but you being in the 2nd one certainly does bring me a smile to match yours

Nice pictures.🌞

I’m sorry: Larch were forever tainted for me by a certain BBC programme in the 1970s.

@The-Krzyz

Larch look like Dr. Seuss trees with goofy-looking branches.

@LiterateHiker I’m always up for goofiness! (“Goofidity?” )

Golden Week photos taken over the years.

Wow, I especially like the lake ones 🙂

The yellow is spectacular in the pics ,The lake scene one drew my eyes to it first

@RoyMillar, @girlwithsmiles, @ToolGuy

I love the lake photo, especially the rounded ice and reflections.

But the Larch trees were past their peak of golden glory.

regardless it still very beautiful just the way it is

@RoyMillar

Thank you, Roy.

Wow, thanks for sharing. Beautiful shots of an exquisite view.

Why are the trees yellow? Very nice. Thanks for sharing

@chiara23

Northern Larch are one of only two conifers in North America that lose their needles in the fall. Larch needles turn golden during one week in October. Then the needles dry and fall off.

[wta.org]

Hawaii is beautiful, I love all the islands dearly, but being in the tropics, you won't see the fall colors that @LiterateHiker has photographed. And whether it be the Cascades, the Rockies or Appalachia, autumn leaves are spectacular. I hope you can see them someday.

@p-nullifidian If I remember right the Monkeypod is the only deciduous tree in Hawaii.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:472436
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.