Agnostic.com

52 5

I am an atheist and were going to church tomorrow with the family! If you were in my shoes, would you or not? Why?

I established myself as an atheist about a few years ago. My family still practices some religious traditions like going to church and we'll be going to one tomorrow. Even though I am an atheist, I wouldn't mind getting out of my way and accompanying them regardless of what my views are if I see it as a beneficial thing to do for their well-being and if it won't affect me in a negative way.

How about you guys? If you were in my shoes and was given a chance now, what would you do?

ACEero 4 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was married I went with mywife and her family on christmas eve and such. I was just being respectful. they didn't want me to convert or anything. they had enough reasons to hate me. mainly my sleeping with their daughter pre-marriage and having coitus

If it's important for your wife it's not going to kill you. Relationships are about putting the other person first.

I get too stressed and a bit depressed going to church, especially with family. They keep trying to invite me into “the fold” and that just unnerves me. Because I’m with family I don’t feel I can argue my points against organized religion without deeply hurting/alienating them.
I try to avoid it like the plague.

Do what you feel you are comfortable and happy doing. Your life is yours. You don’t need validation or confirmation from others.

Plenty of options here...... You can choose not go only because it's not your thing and that should suffice but, I am pretty sure you know that's likely not the case. So, you can choose not to go because "something came up and you cannot make it" (In other words, look for an excuse and try not to antagonize anyone). If your sale speech is really good then you are off the hook and they are not unhappy about it. Its a win win situation. It's a thin line between trying to compromise or setting the line on the sand and make a stand. What is the lesser evil? The answer is different depending upon personal circumstances, I guess..... it's a tough question actually..... so, whatever you may have done, good luck to you.

I don't attend, and usually won't go even when asked. However, I have made concessions... Attending on special events for my grandfather's benefit.

I walk into any church that I want to, they are magnificent buildings, I can listen to a service in the same way i can listen to anyone talking and agree with some and disagree with soem other bits without having to out myself - Here in N.I. there is the term, 'passing yourself '

It means going along with something for the sake of 'no argument' and at the same time - 'cherry picking' the experience.

I don't go near any church I detest church buildings and minsters and priests nuns the lot I consider myself a hard athiest I have no room in my life for fake doctrines and fake god's so no point going anywhere near or in them I go to graves pay my respects to the dead at weddings go to receptions it's time athiests stood up for what they don't believe in and I don't care who I offend with my views

I wouldn't go. If my family wanted to go to the organized ritualistic worshipping of a dead Jew on a stick, I'd just meet up after for brunch.

I have gone to church for the sake of the family. I sit quietly and respectfully, trying my best not to laugh out loud. If I find myself in a Sunday School class, though, where there is open discussion, I might make respectful comments. Especially if they bring up a hateful topic, I ask them how it fits with the rule to "love your neighbor as yourself."

Afterwards, I might ask the family if they really believe that x, y or z is literally true, and what evidence do they have for it. Just enough to get them thinking a little....

I would stay home and clean the house, lay out a nice brunch, baste the turkey etc

Use your own brain what you feel like doing your a athiest live the life of a athiest take a stand for what you believe what's right for you I would not go but I am not you hope that helps you.

Did you go?

Like myself, my son is an atheist, yet he has a better attendance record at his local church than most of the congregation. He loves music and is in the choir. The vicar appreciates him and his down to earth logic!

I find that very hard to believe fairy story

@Topspec His philosophy is "why should the church have all the best choral music"? He and his wife do a lot of the musical arrangements to suit the choristers. The vicar always welcomes us to his church when we go to listen to a recital and has often said that morality is more important than a particular creed. England's Christianity is indeed a far cry from the sort of stubborn, bible belt Christians of the USA.

I would do the same thing.

I go occasionally if it is for something special to do with family or close friends, but I make it clear I don't belong there. I don't join in prayers or say the creed, but I do like to sing the hymns! Sometimes I make notes during the sermon which can intrigue some preachers. When i used to take my aged and wheelchair-bound mother-in-law to chapel in Wales, although I told them that I wasn't a believer, they insisted on including me in everything and treating me as one of them, which i didn't really mind, because they were nice, kind, if deluded people.

I wouldn't because I'm uncomfortable in churches and it's too much to have to listen to the sermon based on fear.

I did this very thing for my Grandmother as she had to give up driving. She, like my mother did not "believe" in my atheism. I became a confirmed, wafer eating, "blood" drinker in the Episcopalian Church as well, more from my own curiosity, than as courtesy. Oddly enough, i don't think i would have done the same for my parents. They drifted to more "rustic" forms of belief after some time away from any church. I could not have gone there, I think.

No. I wouldn't go....Why? Because the person I must respect is myself.

I went several times with my parents. They were good parents and I thought it little enough that I could do to make them happy. Now that they are gone, I miss them terribly but do not regret going to church with them and am glad that I no longer have to do that.

I have attended these events such as easter, christmas, church events, etc. In the past because I wanted to be respectful and just spend time with my family. This last christmas, I received a book "How to deal with the goliaths in your life". It irritated me. So now I'm home doing things that I enjoy doing. Hope this helps.

Would not

Marz Level 7 Apr 1, 2018

Go for it

Do they know you are a atheist. If not let them know. Either way I would stay home.

Me personally, I would not go. But then I refused to go way back when I was a believer. Just disliked it so much.

No way, I wouldn't go. Church is too boring! 🙂

marga Level 7 Mar 31, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47471
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.