Agnostic.com

46 6

Saw this on Facebook. "Omnism: The belief that no religion is truth, but that truth is found within them all." What truths are found in any religion?

VeronicaAnn 7 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm gonna guess that the truth of most religions is whatever seems plausible enough to control or tame society. What we currently have for religions, obviously isn't working very well!

It's all about control.

The core truth is, most people are afraid (on some level) of dying. All religions address that fear, either by promising that death is not the end, or by training one to rise above fear through meditation in some form. Atheists also deal with the fear of death, whether by ignoring it, by adopting a stoic attitude toward it, or by a philosophical attitude that we should enjoy life as fully as we can up until its natural ending.

That's the only "universal truth": death comes for everyone, and we have somehow to cope with that fact.

All the religions I have any knowledge of have contained within them a good deal of truth about human behaviors, but those are observations anyone can make over time. Some good basic psychology can be found there too. Other than those two, there isn't, but to say there is none is a mistake too many make. Absolutes are one of the things that drives people away from religions, why use them ourselves? It's counterproductive.

The truth that I have from religion is that there are billions of people who accept as fact the ridiculous claims of religion.

"Thou shalt not seethe a calf in its mother's milk."

This is true! Meat boiled in milk sounds gross.

Yeah, to be fair the ~was~ a city called Bethlehem. So it got that right.

So if the book is true, that means its made of paper. We know paper burns so throw that book in the fireplace and light it up. If it burns, then yes, it is true that was a book...

For a brief moment I thought you were talking about Onanism lol

I would personally call this a copout but there are things we can take from stories and tales across all religious faiths.

I don't think we would be applying this though if we were to examine this through political ideology. Most people for instance would not say that there is truth to be found in both Communism and Conservatism.

I would contend that every religion teaches humanism, to varying degrees, and that our existence is all about how we treat each other and ourselves. While humanism should NOT be called a "truth," it does fall under the definition of "truth" for those inclined toward religious definitions of things.

There may be truths in religion, of course there are, truth gets into all sorts of places by accident. There are however two things that are true about religion. Firstly that truth is irrelevant to religion, it is only interested in what works to get it support. And second that people who think that, usually take a narrow cherry picked view of what is religion, they ignore for example the many religions which practiced human sacrifice, those that promoted death cults and genocide, etc. etc.

Kindness is good, Love is good, Caring for your fellow man is good.

"The principles of humanism include helping others, concern for our environment, meeting in community with others of like mind, making connections and growing by connection with others who hold diverse beliefs, and building a legacy that makes our world a better place. The Humanist Society provides information, endorses clergy,..."
Sounds like a religion to me. ; )

Religion ... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

Why call anything else a religion?

Word Level 8 Apr 17, 2020

That we don't know squat?

You can't handle the truth!" - Colonel Jessup in A Few Good Men.” ― Aaron Sorkin, A Few Good Men. ...

How if you are actually sane that you do not need them at all to be whole!!!

they seem to talk about and around the same things. the TRUTH is that everything we feel or experience is an expression of physics in the real world. we just don't understand the portions that relate to spirituality yet. I believe each of them have little bits and pieces to the whole puzzle but none have it deciphered.

The problem is in the "selling".....religions would like to sell you that because there is truth within, therefore, it is "all" the truth.....and the one and only truth...just ain't so.

It's an argument I've made to theists while answering questions about my agnosticism. Trying to get them to open their minds.

I think 'fallacious' premise -- Philosophers have been arguing about "truth" for millennia.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:485558
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.