Agnostic.com

98 15

What's the best bit of advice you've ever been given?

For me: "Never forget that 50% of people are of less-than-average intelligence."

Jnei 8 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

98 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This was given to me indirectly but I have found it useful on occasion, "The dreading is worse than the doing." ~ Annabelle Plunkett. How often do we put things off for fear of what might happen?!!

I like that one a lot. I often dread doing something, but then I just dive in and get it done - and more often than not it turns out not to be as bad as I'd imagined. 🙂

"Everyone's carrying around their own bag of shit. Shit is shit, there's no point in comparing sizes."

Too true.

Remember yourself

Emme Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

don't forget to change the oil in your car every once in a while

"Life is Life"

I saw this spray painted on a wall in one of the poorest rural hillside communities in Honduras, which was the poorest nation in the Americas in 2010. I was there for a mission trip. We got there on the 1 year anniversary of a coup that overthrew President Zelaya. A lot of the adults had signs of severe malnourishment from thier developmental years.
This trip was at the beginng of my severe deppression which got really bad a year later.
The phrase "Life is Life" has helped me stay grounded when really good stuff happens and when really bad stuff happens.
P.S. this mission trip nudged me along into Athieism.

Nobody said it was going to be easy.

In my 20s I was having annual psych evaluations as part of my job. They lasted about 2 weeks and were disguised as "In House Corporate Training". The examiners were external and the result of one of my evaluations was that "No-one has your best interests at heart, your planned progression is for most senior management but you could achieve so much more outside the industry". I went home and wrote my resignation, probably not the result they wanted from the training. It took me 18 months to prepare before actually submitting it. Had I stayed I would have retired very wealthy 5 years ago. I am so glad I left and had a life instead.

I don't know what I've been given, but I gave my daughter this advise when she became an adult: if it has a penis, you'll probably have a problem with it.

Don't spend much time on your ski trip doing moguls..you'll miss your kneecaps when they're gone...

Duck.

godef Level 7 Apr 2, 2018

"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it" - from the Super Chicken theme song.

Too many.... One that comes to mind, from a peer that used to say always...... "One day at the time". It may not sound as much but if you start dwelling on it then.......

"Doing the right thing is easy when you let go of what's holding you back."

Do your own thinking.

Don't worry about things out of contol.

Ron67 Level 2 Apr 3, 2018

I think it is a great mark of wisdom when a person realizes what he/she does or doesn't have control over and redirects their efforts accordingly.

Don't sass someone who can ruin your life.
Of course they're wrong.

Take the ticket and live.

Never, ever, EVER, give up.

Nearly all people are assholes all the time and all people are sometimes. question everything and never trust governments.

No such thing as luck. Only superior firepower and plan B.

If you worry about the small stuff, you won't be prepared for the big stuff.

Oh, almost forgot:

Avoid playing poker with Klingons.

Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself

Simple but powerful words... still trying to work on that... yes it comes from a song or a commencement speech but it is still relevant

A friend who was also a therapist, introduced me to the idea of 'future you'. Do things that future you will be thankful for. Its a great way to be motivated to do things you might otherwise put off.

Such as:
Future you would love to find new sheets on the bed at bed time - so change them now, rather than stumble to bed at midnight and remember you haven't put them on yet.

Future you would love the dishes to be done so they don't sit there all day.

Future you would benefit if you signed up for that course today.

Future you will feel and look great after your hard work at the gym today!

Its partly about seeing the future 'you' as a friend and that you are doing something nice as a gift for 'them', which is a nice way to invest in ourselves. It is also about getting things done that we know are good for us in the long run but from which we procrastinate. I know I feel better after exercise yet I find it hard to get going. If I think about how good future me will feel in one hours time or in 3 months time, I feel much more inclined to get moving.

Do trust a politician.

"Never complain about how much tax you're paying it means you had the money in the first place." Most likely makes more sense with our marginal rates in Australia.

Kimba Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

Change your thinking and you'll change your world.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48926
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.