Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK Pulitzer winner Chris Hedges: These "are the good times — compared to what's coming next" | Salon.com

A very sobering article, which, sadly, I tend to agree with. We are in for a helluva ride, no doubt about it. I don't want to live in the USA anymore.

#USA
sunhatpat 6 May 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do you think Pulitzer winners truly deserve what they've achieved?

What's really sick is when I think back on the good old days of Nixon's presidency before Watergate. We actually had a lot of social and economic policies under him that were downright progressive compared to where the Dems are nowadays. Oh, the curse of being old...

Yawn
The idea 'America' was in the golden past a "shining city on a hill," as a deluded Ronald Reagan put it, was always a pleasant fantasy, born out of the special circumstances of World War II and a good geopolitical location.
The United States was never really "exceptional" in any unique, unassailable way.
We rebelled against our own government and somehow got away with it.
We took over the middle of the continent, from defenseless, primitive people,
We economically went through many periods of boom and bust,
Socially we behaved (still do) like any other human beings,
The Civil War had to happen because the South was (still is) an embarassment; the North was morally superior and militarily stronger. It's ironic the South now politically has the upper hand--a source of ceaseless amazement.
After a disastrous depression, we we're FORCED to get into World War II, and took way too much credit for the 'win,' after which we appointed ourselves (with a straight face) the World's Policemen.
Today we're a mess, but we always have been a mess. The only things which set us apart are
A gigantic military
An ego the size of Gibraltar,
Good movies.
Two big oceans.

This was a pretty demoralizing read.

the whole human race is a dead end species

@LeighShelton

I have just posted this now. It's perhaps worth a listen to. You be the judge.

@TimeOutForMe we need way fewer humans

@LeighShelton How many seems about right?
100 million?
Two billion?

@Storm1752 Humans are naturally greedy and Warlike so it's going to ultimately end with none. I guess in an ideal world you're in the right ballpark.

Can't argue with the man, been thinking along the same lines myself. It's gonna get ugly, when the Soviet Union collapsed most citizens were already proficient at being self sufficient and bartering. Most Americans are spoilt children compared to them, it's gonna get ugly.

Most Americans are not just spoilt children but armed spoilt children. Ugly indeed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:491253
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.