Agnostic.com

68 12

What's a phrase you vehemently despise?

Mine's the phrase "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
I'm not a cow, sex is not a commodity, and if I marry someone--I don't owe them sex (or vice versa for that matter).

Mea 7 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

History repeats itself
"...so..." to begin a sentence
"Absolutely" to reply to a statement or question

History repeats itself
"...so..." to begin a sentence
"Absolutely" to reply to a statement or question

One? hard to say, but among the contenders: "it's god's will" and "it's in god's hands now." in some circumstances, i dislike "it takes time" because it is used to explain why something isn't happening. in most cases, "it takes WORK" is more appropriate. in japan, i taught a woman's group and when i brought up women's rights they'd tell me "it takes time." i'd respond, "then you'd better start NOW!"

g

"I'm just sayin' "
Someone obviously has a point to make, but when anyone wants to ask a question, they toss out the 'i was making a statement, it doesnt mean i want to answer questions or even talk about it' move. Usually used by someone wanting to rant about something but not actually looking for solutions to fix it.

"Real quick"
Its NEVER quick, and seldom real.
Salesman, bosses, etc use it as a way to start a convo thays going to take 10 minutes.

Angus Level 5 June 19, 2018

I hate the word 'nigger'. I understand its etymological roots but it's a word that comes packed with a sinister and horrible past.

But in terms of phrases I can't stand 'We are where we are' it's so glib and dismissive

That, and "It is what it is."

"President" Trump

I agree. Sex is a shared experience and people are people, not cows. Women are not livestock as the bible would have us believe.

I despise the phrase “guard your eyes”. Women’s bodies are not a trap for men or vice versa. Respect for my fellow human tells me where my eyes should look, not fear of sinful traps.

Let’s do this.
“Woke” and the various forms of its usage.

I still like this one... 😉

Anything that "blows you away." I keep wondering where you're supposed to wind up when you wind up in the middle of away. 😛

I Could care less.
Same difference.
Slow your roll.

MikaB Level 5 Apr 7, 2018

“It’s always darkest just before the dawn.”

No, it’s not. Have you been outside before sunrise before?

“Everything happens for a reason”

"Everything happens for a reason"

Just quote back George Carlin to them. "Sometimes the reason is your a moron"

Get a life!

"There is a reason for everything." "It is what it is." "Give it to God."

God works in mysterious ways, I disdain that one. Should be more like god works in delirious ways.

"I will pray for you."...speciaslly when they say this to you with a bucolic expression on their faces

At the end of the day.....basically....it is what it is.....thoughts and prayers.....

"It is what it is.”
No shit, what the fuck else could it be?

This is one of those meaningless things people say when they have nothing intelligent to say. If you don't have anything to say, why speak?

JimG Level 8 Apr 4, 2018

A few:
"Most powerful man on Earth"
"Leader of the free world"
"Greatest country on Earth"
"Please place your item in the bagging area"
"Unexpected item in the bagging area"
"License and registration"
"Fox News affiliate"

BenP Level 3 Apr 4, 2018

Good ones!

Anything out of a Penguins fan's mouth.

Go Pens! 😉

Go Predators!

There. I corrected it for you. Lol.

My father often used the phrase "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" I hated it then and I hate now.

Mom's phrase was "It takes two to tango," when cautioning me about premarital sex, in fact she drove me to this run down tenement in a nearby town one day and told me that is where I would wind up if I got a girl pregnant.

I was 20 when I finally lost my virginity, but it wasn't from lack of trying... summer of '65.

I did observe a ham radio friend of mine who really struggled because he found himself in a family way in a day when marriage was the only honorable thing to do. Yes, they struggled, but also got a college edulation, got to grow up with their kids, and are still happily married 55 years later! Maybe that's the exception...

It's a word, not a phrase that I despise. When men loudly and repeatedly say "f-ck" in public. This is crass and offensive. I wince, particularly with children and older women nearby.

Asking a strange man to stop loudly saying "f-ck" usually results in an angry verbal attack. ("You f-cking bitch!" Don't tell ME what to do!" ) Only one young man apologised.

“It is what it is.” It’s saying nothing with a sound.

Marz Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

"God will teach you."

Prayers and thoughts

I try not to. Whenever I feel my eyes starting to roll I take a moment to practice kindness and putting myself in that person's shoes. I didn't always.

I wouldn't want anyone else's regard for or treatment of me to change on account of their attitude about some dumb verbal meme I said that rubbed them the wrong way. So I try not to do that to anyone else.

That doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone, or look down on others for doing things differently. We're all in different places and it's all good with me as long as you're not being intentionally cruel.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49279
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.