Agnostic.com

68 12

What's a phrase you vehemently despise?

Mine's the phrase "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
I'm not a cow, sex is not a commodity, and if I marry someone--I don't owe them sex (or vice versa for that matter).

Mea 7 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (51 - 68)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Potty humour from anyone over 13.

Anything used way too often

Literally...ugh!

knocked it out of the park I've heard way too often at the moment

it's gods will.

Man up
Grow a pair
You run like a girl

Let me axe you a question

Liberry
Let me "mill" it over
numberella=umbrella
Pivaligh=pilot light
...and so many more monstrous murdering of the language...

"You go, girl".
"Having said that.."

“I’ll pray for you.” Really? Which god are you pleading with? You think s/he/it isn’t aware? Please don’t bother your god on my behalf.

The best reply I've heard so far to "I'll pray for you" is "I'll think for you". I use it all the time.

When someone says they'll pray for me I always want to respond "And I'll commit an act of divination for you". But I don't. It would be over their head and it's the same thing, divination.

@farmboy2017 How about, I'll cast a spell for ya!?

@GoldenDoll I love that ❣

When somebody that knows I am an atheist says that they will pray for me, I say, thanks for the condescending remark. Pray for my conversion, see where that gets you.

MAGA

Get 'er done!
A man said that on a first date once, as we walked into a restaurant. I was so glad I drove separately.

@Donotbelieve Me too! And I live here in hillbilly land where I hear it every-fucking-day.

I'm getting pretty sick of conservatives constantly saying "ad hominem". Was there a conservatives meeting where their leaders all told them to use it at every opportunity? We get it you learned a big word.

I hate the phrase, "Jesus didn't exist." Ever time I hear it, I hear the same fundamentalistic notion as those who insist he was a god.

Rule of thumb

Emme Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

What does that even mean? Thumbs don't make rules

@LadyAlyxandrea - Some believe it was the width of the stick a man could beat his wife with under English law a while ago.- if it's the size of your thumb, it's ok. "Make sure you measure that stick before you beat your wife! Thumb-size? OK go ahead".

@GoldenDoll awful!!!

I like the Viet Cong version: If an airplane or helicopter is the size of your thumb at arm's length, it means it can be hit with small arms fire. 🙂

@TheInterlooper it HAS been debunked. As a DV survivor,
that doesnt change the long running inferrence of the phrase.

@LadyAlyxandrea although it's been debunked, it was inferred that a husband could beat his wife with a stick as long as it wasn't thicker than his thumb. As a DV survivor, It STILL leaves a bad feeling even though it was debunked.

@TheInterlooper so does lacking EMPATHY I'd imagine.

"have a blessed day".

It is what it is. Hate that one.

Oh me too! GROAN!

My sister has that tattooed on her leg. Personally, I find the statement stupid.

Whatever! Not a phrase, but it irritates the shit out of me. Also, " You know what I'm saying?". No l don't know what you are saying becuase I'm stupid!

Knew an idiot who used that . It wasn't that he had anything intelligent to say , he just wanted to get in thee last word . Last I heard , his wife left him .

@Cast1es lol

One time before I married my husband someone asked him when we were going to get married. He replied, "Why buy the cow when I get the milk for free?" I replied back, "Did you just call me a cow??" ???

That would have pissed me off! Lol.

Response to that is , why buy the pig , when the sausage is so small .

And "act like a lady" I'm female. I'm a lady no matter what.

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield "That's no lady, that's my wife."

"Boys will be boys" I find it an excuse that perpetuates gender stereotypes and bad behavior

I hate that one too. Your gender doesn't excuse you from being an ass.

Yeah, that one has been used to excuse gang rape, SMH.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49279
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.