Agnostic.com

68 12

What's a phrase you vehemently despise?

Mine's the phrase "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
I'm not a cow, sex is not a commodity, and if I marry someone--I don't owe them sex (or vice versa for that matter).

Mea 7 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (51 - 68)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A few:
"Most powerful man on Earth"
"Leader of the free world"
"Greatest country on Earth"
"Please place your item in the bagging area"
"Unexpected item in the bagging area"
"License and registration"
"Fox News affiliate"

BenP Level 3 Apr 4, 2018

Good ones!

"It is what it is.”
No shit, what the fuck else could it be?

This is one of those meaningless things people say when they have nothing intelligent to say. If you don't have anything to say, why speak?

JimG Level 8 Apr 4, 2018

At the end of the day.....basically....it is what it is.....thoughts and prayers.....

"I will pray for you."...speciaslly when they say this to you with a bucolic expression on their faces

God works in mysterious ways, I disdain that one. Should be more like god works in delirious ways.

"There is a reason for everything." "It is what it is." "Give it to God."

Get a life!

“It’s always darkest just before the dawn.”

No, it’s not. Have you been outside before sunrise before?

“Everything happens for a reason”

"Everything happens for a reason"

Just quote back George Carlin to them. "Sometimes the reason is your a moron"

I Could care less.
Same difference.
Slow your roll.

MikaB Level 5 Apr 7, 2018

Anything that "blows you away." I keep wondering where you're supposed to wind up when you wind up in the middle of away. 😛

Let’s do this.
“Woke” and the various forms of its usage.

I still like this one... 😉

I agree. Sex is a shared experience and people are people, not cows. Women are not livestock as the bible would have us believe.

I despise the phrase “guard your eyes”. Women’s bodies are not a trap for men or vice versa. Respect for my fellow human tells me where my eyes should look, not fear of sinful traps.

"President" Trump

I hate the word 'nigger'. I understand its etymological roots but it's a word that comes packed with a sinister and horrible past.

But in terms of phrases I can't stand 'We are where we are' it's so glib and dismissive

That, and "It is what it is."

"I'm just sayin' "
Someone obviously has a point to make, but when anyone wants to ask a question, they toss out the 'i was making a statement, it doesnt mean i want to answer questions or even talk about it' move. Usually used by someone wanting to rant about something but not actually looking for solutions to fix it.

"Real quick"
Its NEVER quick, and seldom real.
Salesman, bosses, etc use it as a way to start a convo thays going to take 10 minutes.

Angus Level 5 June 19, 2018

One? hard to say, but among the contenders: "it's god's will" and "it's in god's hands now." in some circumstances, i dislike "it takes time" because it is used to explain why something isn't happening. in most cases, "it takes WORK" is more appropriate. in japan, i taught a woman's group and when i brought up women's rights they'd tell me "it takes time." i'd respond, "then you'd better start NOW!"

g

History repeats itself
"...so..." to begin a sentence
"Absolutely" to reply to a statement or question

History repeats itself
"...so..." to begin a sentence
"Absolutely" to reply to a statement or question

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49279
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.