Agnostic.com

20 5

LINK Married men make more than Single Men

First off, More wealth... I'm sure that's not a good reason to get married.
Secoundly, Married men made about 20% more, but also worked 20% more... Results I would expect.

Third, Family income rose by 25% on average... Yeah, had nothing to due with better taxes for married couples, a duel income, or something else other than just being married.

Finally, Married women worked less...

Also, by Married they also mean has a kid.
When there were no kids, the hours and incomes levels became similar those who are single.

bubinf 6 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I worked a lot more overtime when I was married, and I still make more now that I'm single. As an added bonus, the money I make now is all mine.

JimG Level 8 Apr 20, 2018

That's why working in a Union shop is the best, all workers get paid the same, contractually. Married, single, male or female. But when you leave the union eviroment and move into the managment ranks, all bets are off.

I think marriage motivates you to work harder, is all this is. You want your children provided for, you want them to look up to you, the stability of your marriage is partly dependent on your wife's perception the sense of security and stability and continuity you bring to the table, so you work to make those things happen. If you're single you're not challenged in that way. That's not to say flying solo is inferior, it's just different. And less exhausting.

Marriage motivated me to work more overtime, especially when my ex-wife was home.

Having the responsibility of a family is great motivator for someone to seek higher pay. This is a factor a lot of people would not consider I think.

In today's economy having a family to support means that you will often have to work more hours than you would if single.

Stay at home parents work too, duh. They just don't get paid.

I'm single and I don't have kids. I make the same pay as my co-workers, but not my bosses. The married woman and men make about the same hours as the single women and men. This is in the fast food industry though. I make the least in hours due to my SSDI income. I'm just happy with the paycheck I get. I do more and I have been doing my job longer than some of them, so they look to me to do other's jobs. I can't become and manager (and I don't want to, too much stress now as a crew member) because of the hours. I don't compare what I make to anyone else. I just focus on my hours and the money I make. I don't ever plan to get married. I do plan to get a career after college though. Even then, I don't have to worry about someone else's paycheck. I mind my own business.

Well, I think the added expense would mean a net loss.

Especially if children are involved

What percentage of these married men work longer hours just to get away from their families? Lol

@Gwendolyn2018 Lighten up. Besides, it's a fact for some people.

@Gwendolyn2018 Whatever. At the expense of what woman? If you think this is bashing females then you might be a little too sensitive and actually seeking out any little thing to jump to the rescue and lecture men. Is it bashing children too? What about gay guys who are married? Is it bashing them too? Not once did I mention any specific woman or in general. YOU interpreted it as such! Get over yourself.

There are married women who like to get away from their families too, but this post and study is about married men. There's always someone looking for something to complain about. It must be so much fun hanging around some people. This probably proves a point lol

@Gwendolyn2018 Not at all. Fathers usually love their children, but it is nice to get away for a while. My wife and I used to have a "self indulgence" night, when the other stayed home with the children,
Now our children themselves have "self indulgence" nights. (Interestingly, it's nearly always the men of our family who do the cooking.)
I also worked very long hours at times - it came with the territory of my reasonably well paid job.

@Gwendolyn2018 I honestly worked to avoid being home with my ex-wife, but I had no intention of leaving my kids. After divorce became inevitable, I eventually realized that it was for the best. I maintained some false hope that my marriage would get better as long as I could.

all the peoeplI know who stayed in their marriage are glad they did so

Women want the security of a man with a big paycheck.

@Gwendolyn2018 You are correct. I should have said..."SOME women."

I looked at the source of the study, The Institue for Family Studies. Here is what I found.

n 2012, Bradford Wilcox was a peer reviewer on a controversial research paper that was called “disgraceful” by the scientific community. This research was funded by the highly Questionable Witherspoon Institute that promotes anti-gay marriage and anti-abortion propaganda. While IFS themselves tends to be well sourced, their senior fellow Mr. Wilcox endorsed a poor scientific study. Overall, we rate the Institute for Family Studies (IFS) right biased based on story selection that favors conservative causes and mixed for factual reporting based on the endorsement of poor science. (D. Van Zandt 3/16/2018)

This does not mean that their data is not fact based, I just like to always see the source.

Bravo, @spinliesel!

Yeah, perhaps. Typically men lose out in the divorce. I had to give up half of everything (of which I earned 95% of) and pay $3,800 / month to my ex-wife for half the length of the marriage. Spousal support, no children. Just based on income differential. Ironic that she used to say, "Women are sex objects and men are success objects"...

The alimony clause really sucks. If she gets married, would she still receive alimony from you?

@Nikonian I'm long finished paying her but yes. She is way too smart to have done that.

@pthomas59 We had an amicable and fair agreement where she would have gotten more, all up front, and I'd be done with it right away. Then she got a lawyer who wanted to bill more hours...

@shockwaverider - oh wow... 😟 this is good to know. i wonder if pre-nuptial agreements can protect against alimony.

@Nikonian Make sure you have a good lawyer... In CA, you can pay spousal support in perpetuity if you are married over 10 years...

I asked what if I decided to give up all my stuff and become a Monk, they said it makes no difference as I had the demonstrated earning capacity to make $x and that's what they base the payment on.

Marriage has roots in chattle arrangements and is reserved for those who make bad decisions or want bad things to happen to them. It's the leading cause of faster aging and divorce.

Married men spend more time at work because they don't want to go home to their wives. Staying late at the office tonight honey. Tonight and every night until the inevitable divorce occurs.

Never marry! Never again.

Are you proposing to me? Lol

@bubinf lol considering I am barely able to work I hope you're okay with being flat broke living under bridges

Ok, but I'm not falling into that trap today. Today I choose to be happy & that means NO MARRIAGE, Hurray❣

Emme Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

yeah i thought that too but now im old and very very alone

@squiggy_70 you're not alone. You have everyone here.
I'm just getting comfy by myself. Kids moved out, amicably divorced...dating when & who "I" want to date is ok too.
I do enjoy my privacy and solitude.
I love MY furbabies the most❣??

It costs a lot more to be married. You need two cars, bigger house or apartment, and if you have kids the cost of living sky rockets. College for one kid can break you. Have 2 or 3 kids and you had better amass a fortune.

I think married men do make higher salaries because the old addages are still there"

1. They are the primary breadwinner and support the family.
  2. Men tend to be more stable if they marry and plan on having a family
  3. A single man can travel, be transferred and more adaptable to the company's needs but without a family there is a fear they can be recruited by competitors easily.

Married men may make more but I'll bet single men get to keep more of what they make! 😉

I feel like i gained +1 wisdom point reading this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49327
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.