Agnostic.com

30 16

I am agnostic because I want to have an open mind! Really?

I have seen many people say they are not atheist but rather agnostic because they have an open mind. Agnosticism is not open mindedness just as atheism is not closed mindedness.

An atheist simply does not believe in something. I do not believe in a god simply for two reasons. No reason has been presented for me to believe in a god. There is no god concept that is plausable without going outside of reality. I only live in this reality so there is no reason to consider gods that do not exist in mine.

Is it closed minded not to believe that godzilla is not on a rampage in New York? Does not believing such a thing without reason closed minded?

I am an athiest, I do not believe there is a god. My mind is open to actual evidence. I am rational and open minded as an atheist.

There are two major catigories of agnostic in common understanding.

(My loose definitions)

1 agnostic- without knowledge. Nope I don't know alot of stuff. I also don't have to and am open learning just as much as an atheist.

2 agnostic- One who does not know or wonders about gods. This gets into definitions of gods that are outside of reality. Some gods are said to be unknowable or immaterial. If a god fits into that definition, it by definition does not exist. So if open mindedness is taking into consideration things that can not be real as if they were then I am not in that camp.

So just what is this open mindedness that is being spoken of and why is it considered closed minded to not believe in something that does not or could not exist like the Christian god?

DavidLaDeau 8 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is it closed minded to believe there are no unicorns? Well, here it is . . . .

I recommend reading Fighting God: An Atheist Manifesto for a Religious World by David Silverman.
[amazon.com]

There are a lot of agnostic atheists out there. In fact, I would say that most atheists are agnostic and that nearly all agnostics are atheists.

“There is no god concept that is plausable without going outside of reality.”

Are Jungian archetypes outside of reality?

skado Level 9 May 15, 2020

That is a given as they are based on what is not proven to be real.

@DavidLaDeau
Are you saying they don’t exist?

@skado The idea exist but it appears, from what I understand to be based on spiritual ideas. I had not heard of such things and had to look it up so I am no expert on the subject.

It is interesting how Atheists come to a site fittingly named "Agnostic.com" to criticize Agnostics . . . . it is kind of like the christians who show up here or on Atheist sites. If we Agnostics happen to be disagreeable to you, maybe you should create your own Atheist site and leave us the hell alone . . .

I didn’t take it that he was putting down agnostics so much as defending atheists. It sounds like he feels put down by agnostics and wanted to set the record straight.

That domain was probably taken a long time ago. It doesn't matter very much, as the two labels are like two sides of the same coin: one lacks knowledge of a deity, the other lacks a belief in a deity. Personally, I lack both.

There are plenty of options . . . . [domain.com]

@ Apunzelle - Yet he opens with "I am agnostic because I want to have an open mind! Really?"

THANK you!

@p-nullifidian Groan. Wrong again. Atheists and THEISTS, both belief systems, are two sides of the same coin.
Agnostics are not bound by your rules, because we are not playing your game.
Just because you bully your way onto OUR site and bellow the loudest and push your weight around doesn't mean we have to opt into your absolutist trash.

@Storm1752 "Just because you bully your way onto OUR site and bellow the loudest and push your weight around doesn't mean we have to opt into your absolutist trash."

Whoa! Where's that coming from?

Agnostics are not disagreeable to me. The attitude that they are somehow more enlightened because they mhave more open minds is simply wrong. Admitting ones ignorance (as I certainly do) calling it agnostic and somehow feeling superior is disagreeable.

It’s sad how a site inviting Atheists is populated by those not quite up to the task…

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:495939
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.