Agnostic.com

24 6

Has Evangelical Christianity Become Sociopathic?

[huffpost.com]

Gatovicolo 8 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wait. Hasn't it always been that way?

Without even reading the article, yes. Yes, they have and I would argue they always were.

Indeed. The Evangelical Christian message is clear. They only care for themselves.

Religion has alway been sociopathic, but since corona virus, Evangelical Christianity has applied for an up grade to full blown psychopathy

Well, there have been sociopathic elements in religions generally, but US evangalism is definitely a highlight for hypocrisy and entitlement.

No! It has always been sociopathic and always will be. In my opinion, that is the only way religion can work.

Evangelical Christianity was already sociopathic at the time of the Spanish Inquisitions. The United States of America has taken on the mantle of Isabella and Ferdinand 500 years afterwards.

Although we may agree that elements of sociopathy may be found throughout the history of Christendom, the question raised by this article in HuffPo specifically applies to the Evangelical Protestant Christians in the United States today who back the current administration, not to the Roman Catholics of the colonial period.

Is becoming? Has been for a long time.

Has it ever stopped is the question, not has it become.

Yes...but only the extreme strands of Evangelical Christianity which seem to have proliferated most markedly in the USA. There are many extremely empathetic and caring people of faith, Christians amongst them, who do not display these sociopathic traits, but the extremes of any faith seem to display zealotry on a level bordering psychopathy.

Does a bear relieve himself in the woods?

Polar bears don’t.

Always the rebel . . .

"Has become"? No: IS? YES!

They always were that way. Is that news to you?

No. Perhaps you should ask that of the author. I merely posted the story.

@Gatovicolo throwing stones and hiding hand?

@Mofo1953 Posting an interesting article. Perhaps the problem is within you.

@Gatovicolo no, you own what you post.

@Mofo1953 Who’s arguing here?

@Gatovicolo you

@Mofo1953 Not really I merely posted a story. You’ve got the problem. End.

@Gatovicolo the story you posted is owned by you. For example, if you post a story that spews hate and stupidity, you can't say "oh, it is not me, I just posted a story." Or are you to obtuse to understand this?

@Mofo1953 You are such a tool. Think whatever you like. I no longer care.

It tends to bounce between Sociopathic and Psychopathic, nice that it is mellowing out for a change.

A qualified yes... some definitely have because their behavior/actions/beliefs place them squarely on the same plane as some cults cults, particularly in their thoughts/actions to non believers and they certainly do not act as if the think what would Jesus do? Others, while holding onto beliefs that I certainly do not agree with, do threat others with respect and do not, at least openly, believe that the rest of us are going straight to HELL!

has Christianity (as an institution) ever stopped being Sociopathic?

"Evangelical Christianity crossed the line of faith and belief to hatred and abuse. Those who cruelly implement the actions of their faith are oblivious to the destruction they cause to their religion, or the people their beliefs impact. " This should be obvious to anyone with half a ounce of brains. Unfortunately, some people get so wrapped up in their extremist ideas they fail to see the dangers that causes even to their own ideals. History is full of wars between extreme fundamentalists who want to push their dogma on everybody else. Think of Isis. We don't need to read about certain Christian groups to know one size fits all and that 'size' means death and destruction.

A recent article in Free Inquiry which showed the term evangelical is different than fundamentalist. This sounds like more of a fundamentalist group.

It always was. Billy graham, and his progeny, are great examples of total control freaks preying upon the gullible.

Criminals all.

Yes. But now they have brought their racism out in the public.

“The evangelical Christian message is loud and clear. They care for no one but themselves.”

That is an over-generalization. If you search you can find misguided church leaders who say outrageous things, but those people are on the fringe. Remember that Jimmy Carter, Al Gore and Hillary Clinton are all “evangelicals”. Clinton even aspires to become a preacher.

Nothing is gained by stirring up fear and hatred.

I was merely posting an interesting news story. You’re welcome to interpret it as you want to.

A better question would be when hasn't it been sociopathic. Looking back the majority of the evangelic sects have started with one man focusing the entire framework of his theology on a few specific passages in their bible to the exclusion of all others. This coupled with an unshakable believe that theirs is the only TRUE interpretation and all contrary views are those of Satan and enough gullible people to become loyal followers with the only desire to spread their one true message to all for their salvation. Never mind the cherry picking of the book as proof of their righteousness and resulting cult mentality.

Has Evangelical Christianity Become Sociopathic?
I was thinking of how I would answer that question and what I should write or what I should say and I came to the conclusion that a simple answer would be appropriate.
My Answer.
YES

I think that it is more a case of delusion.

I think it's a case of gaining a little power and having it go to their heads. It's simply greed, gain something and want more and more. Of course we all know who to blame for this.

Agnostic/atheists can be sociopathic too.

@Gatovicolo It's human nature and the only way to overcome it it through knowledge and empathy.

@JackPedigo It’s born in human nature, nurtured by exclusion and overcome by education. Unless, of course, it’s a personality disorder.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:498184
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.