Agnostic.com

22 36

Another Christian bites the dust!

Frontman of Christian rock band reveals he no longer believes in God and explains how he lost his faith after spending a year questioning the Bible, Christian culture, and his upbringing as a pastor's son.

[dailymail.co.uk]

Apunzelle 7 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good maybe he can make decent music now lol

My cousin was married to a singer. She sang gospel and also Country music. I remember her making the comment that she loved singing country because everyone was so friendly and helpful. She didn’t like Gospel as much because she said there was so much jealousy and people would actually sabotage the equipment to make others look bad. I just found it interesting that she said that

Churches usually want quantity, not quality, so anyone (typically) is allowed to sing. I found a few in the band were jealous of my abilities. Or they just had too high an opinion of their own talents. They always wanted to be the lead, and completely missed the point. We were there to lead the worship, not star in it.

Obviously he's got a brain.

Total win. Ive had a conversation recently about how we should make a push as atheists/agnostics/humanists to include and reach into more overtly creative spaces, and welcome those who come from creative and otherwise "woo" background into our spaces to express themselves in newly profound ways.

Likely half-way here already … it’s a step they need the courage to make alone.. And we don’t need to wade through woo too ~

@Varn Well I'm not saying that we partake in "woo" itself, but there is something to be said for the fluid state of mind which easily attaches itself to that mentality.

We need to be able to find a secular channel for that type of fluid creative thinking without falling into a "woo" hole.

This is partly why I think it may be so difficult for atheist creativity to come to thr forefront. It's not often received well and gets mistaken for "woo."

What a co-inky-dink! Me too! I'm a pk and played in a very talented christian band for 6 years. Now, no god.

Great news.,now he can do songs about questioning the Bible...

Are those songs popular enough to get played on the radio? Introduction music to Pat Robertson's 700 Club maybe??

I’m pleased for him...maybe we should invite him to join Agnostics.com!

We might scare him back to where he came from! 😄

@Apunzelle That’s always a possibility!

Now he can do Ozzie covers🤣

Like Highway to Hell 😀

Hooray, I guess?

I do believe it’s getting better 🙂

Varn Level 8 May 26, 2020

You little beauty, I reckon we should all play " Another one Bites the Dust" in honour of his wonderful de-conversion and follow it up with " We will Rock You" as well.

Hopefully, this admitting will bring others to question their beliefs as well. It is especially great it is coming from some in the public eye.

Exactly! And what’s interesting is that, when he told his close friends, they admitted to having doubts, too! They all were so afraid of losing their friends and community that they all kept this big secret.

@Apunzelle Funny, how that works. I was raised Catholic and there were 7 kids. Now we are all (except one sister) atheists. She has followed several groups (now JW) and seemed to always be searching for something.

I read a couple stories about his crisis of faith and found his angst about his dilemma to be genuine and not too different from my own although I was much younger. I waited until my grandmother passed before I said anything to anyone. It would have hurt her and it wasn't necessary to hurt her.

Even when you start to realize how ignorant religion is, it is not easy to separate yourself from it. It's like a cult just more popular.

It was kind of you to spare your grandma. ❤️

On the one hand,....

I mean, it's good when someone frees themselves of an illusion. I'm glad he seems at peace with it.

On the other, I'm sorry he went through such an obviously difficult road to get there. Having been so prominent in Xian circles clearly only made it harder for him. Good thing he had friends and family supporting him on the way.

I don't see this as an occasion for doing high-fives, just a quiet reflection and hope that it will help others in the same situation.

A new atheist has arose from the ashes. Now he must explore a new world.

I bet he lived in a world for years where he thought "everybody knows there is a god but only my god is the real god." Then one day you just wake up from that. I have friends who try to define a "real Christian" to me and we all know they are just making this up.

Surprise, surprise!!

How many 'Christians' feel that exact same way?
Probably the majority.

Took him long enough!

At least he’s one of us now. ❤️

Meh... He probably never believed all along... He just wanted church paying gigs... 😉

A man can make big bucks selling god if he puts his mind to it - believer or not or anywhere in between. I am a musician - I just couldn't do that gig - I'd rather not play at all than to listen to lyrics about their god at 20,000 watts while playing on their concerts.

But for those who will do it for the bucks, you just have to be convincing which puts the "con" in con artist/musician. It's coning the cons sort of deal. If you've been around believers for any length of time you will find it easy to copy their "convincing" gesture towards a fantasy god and to twist anything that happens into an act of that god. Most people can fantasize pretty easily, evidently, especially if you've been taught from birth exactly how to do it.

They trained him from childhood on how to put on the "god" act and he made good money keeping the act up. But playing make-believe, all of your adult years with no escape would surely wear a fellow down

@jrhere I'm hip! I had thoughts for years to start my own church preaching whatever it takes to get a tax free status. I'll save anyone if they put into the collection plate! Was going to call it Church of the Long Green... But thought that might be too ostentatious. The thought still crosses my mind from time to time. But, as it turns out, I have this aversion to stupid people that precludes me from starting the church...

Great

bobwjr Level 10 May 27, 2020

It took a year?!

I think a year is actually pretty quick, considering. His whole life was the church and god. Everyone he knew believed. His father was a preacher. In the note, he says: The church wasn’t part of his life; it WAS his life. That’s a lot to unravel from.

@Apunzelle Hmmmm, maybe!

@Apunzelle you're right! A year is fast. Took me 10 years.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:499885
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.