Agnostic.com

15 15

LINK Louisiana GOP Backs Child Marriage Bill: “A Lot of 16-Year-Olds Are Very Mature” | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Child marriage is the one part of Muslim culture that republicans have no problem with.

snytiger6 9 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you read the law 16 year olds are only allowed to marry relatives.

barjoe Level 9 June 17, 2020

Next thing you know they legalize shopping for kids in Yemen!

One of my wives was 16 and I went to a Southern state where it was legal. I regret the marriage but my only 2 children came from that union.

how many wives do you have?

@Amisja Right now I have none. In my lifetime of 74 years there have been 4.

It is all part of Abrahanic culture. Many xtions are fine with that as law, unless one attaches Sharia to it - same laws, mostly, especially the original ones.

If I ruled the world people couldn't get married until they could support themselves. With today's economy, there would be lots of live ins.😍

my mom said 40 at the min

WTF, that is disgusting imo, no person at 14 to 16 years of age is competent enough mentally to be considered as being adult enough to properly raise a child.
I have counseled ever so many teens who have found themselves either pregnant or about to become fathers and the very second you mention that parent IS a commitment for LIFE when you have a child, 98% of them their jaws drop, their eyes go into sort of 'shock' mode and their first response is usually, " But what about our social life/lives, we always go out with friends every night and every day, we can't have fun with a kid dragging along with us, can we?
And then, at least 60-70% of the time, out comes the 'blame game' with comments like, "You wanted to screw me, you told me that I had prove that I loved by having a root with you," etc, etc.
And then comes the " I want an abortion NOW," she says, " And you're paying for it too."
When the Australian Government released their 'Baby Bonus' on top of the Parental Child Allowances, there were, literally hundreds upon hundreds of young girls getting pregnant so as to get the $600.00 bonus plus be assured that they would NOT be expected to find work until the child turned School age.
Hence, there were young girls in their 16's and higher having one child after another and after another, raking in the cash and ensuring that they wouldn't need to work because they managed to space out each consecutive child so well that they will be aged in their late 30's to 40's before their last child reaches School Age.
If it was not for Breaching Privacy Laws, I could name, here and now, 12 + girls, now women in my home town alone, who have a bare minimum of 6 children each to 6 separate Fathers and at least 10 of them are either pregnant again now or toting around a baby less than a few months old as well.

@LetzGetReal Yeah kind of, but it shows the mentallity of some of the Youth of today imho.
I.e. Keep on pumping out babies to avoid getting a job and actually putting something back into society, pure selffishness imo.

My home state. 🙄

Ohub Level 7 June 5, 2020

Geez, I'd be getting that changed on my Birth Certificate bloody quick if I was in your shoes.

Pedophile bill

bobwjr Level 10 June 5, 2020

This is the same state that spawned Jerry Lee Lewis who married his 14 year old 1st cousin.

She was actually 13.
[usatoday.com]

and a cousin

@whiskywoman 1st cousin

The significance of the 1st cousin is that is the level of proximity of relationship to avoid inbreeding. It is generally assumed that the 2nd cousin is the closest relationship that is safe to avoid the potential effects of inbreeding. Although there is some debate about the 1st cousin cutoff, it has been the standard for a long time.

@t1nick I know

@LetzGetReal

Wasnt aware of that. Hmmm

Pedophilia. Would not surprise me if they wanted to lower the age. Maybe that is next.

Sixteen is a fairly common age for marriage throughout the developed world, either with or without parental consent depending usually on established cultural norms. Biologically, we humans can become potential parents in some case as young as eight.
Our mental acumen however varies considerably. I know some women who are in their late twenties and are not mentally mature enough to become mothers or life long lovers and some men in their forties just the same!
Yet others are ready to become breeders at fifteen.
Many cultures allow for early years marriage, even before the body is anywhere ready to mate, lets alone be mature enough to enjoy a marriage.
So where does the USA stand? I suggest that each State bring their laws in line with each other. Chose an age where it can be decided that people can join for life. Do not exclude the input of professions and run it with self centered politicians.

In the UK the age is 16. On another point, my exes cousin in Israel was 15 and she 14. They both worked on the kibbutz and made the case for living together to the committee. He was such a live wire that they could not refuse. From what I hear they have been happily married for years now with several kids.

Consent is not possible at 14. That's a forced marriage as far as I am concerned

They have to have parental consent if they are under 18 in the U.K. I believe.

@Marionville No it is not, parental consent is needed under 16 for sex. Marriage is a different matter, 18 without parental consent in England but 16 in Scotland.

@Marionville, @dermot235 I had sex at 14 and nobody forced me.
In the case of those Israeli kids, they were both very much in love and the relationship has stood the test of time

@273kelvin Having sex at 14 and getting married at 14 at 2 different things. Nobody can consent to marriage at 14. If there marriage lasted thats fine, but 14 is not an age to make a decision like that. No way.

@dermot235 But a 14-year old can be charged with a felony as an adult. If it is possible for a 14-year old to be "criminally responsible" then why not sexually"?

@273kelvin Because holding children to be as criminally responsible as adults is wrong. And in the US you sometimes charge children as adults for serious crimes. What needs to change is how the US treats Children in criminal trials, not reducing the age of marriage to 14. I'm surprised you are using one injustice to justify Child Marriage.

@dermot235 As you said, sex and marriage are two separate issues. I merely pointed to the hypocrisy of being able to charge a minor as an adult, whilst holding them not responsible for their own sexual actions.
This is a very emotive subject and nobody wants to go down the paedo route but IMHO 18 is far too high a benchmark. As I stated in the UK its 16 and I and about 90% of the people I have asked said they had sex before that age. If you set the bar too high, then all you are going to get is fails and that makes criminals out of too many people.

@dermot235 In the Israeli case, they did not get married at 14 and 15. They only asked for and got a flat to live together from the kibbutz committee. They got married much later.

@273kelvin Having proper secular sex education in schools if what is needed so that when people have sex under the age of consent or at 16 or 17 it does not result in teenage pregnancy and other social and economic problems. Also preventing Older people from having sex with younger people is important too. A 21 year old should not be having sex with a 15 year old. Not in any universe I want to live in. Getting married is a commitment and it has value if you are starting a family. You are making a contract that you will look after your children and commit to doing that for the long term. Getting Married at 14 has no value whatsoever. And 14 year olds are not in a position to make an intelligent decision about this. I noticed you are pulling back from 14 years old in your argument. It's now 16. And if that's what you are doing, then that's good.

@273kelvin Now you have clarified the Israeli case, That makes all the difference.

Does the GOP get drugs that the rest of us do not?

MizJ Level 8 June 5, 2020

What ever they are taking I don't want it. Stick to 420

Revolting

Then again, that is older than age of consent in many parts of Mexico.

Tlaxcala is one region in Mexico out of 32. And it's age of consent is 14. All the other 31 have ages of consent from 16 to 18. So it's not MANY parts of Mexico

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:503058
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.