Agnostic.com

74 22

I'm new here. Having a hard time. "Boyfriend" just died from an overdose of prescription drugs. He was a liar and was cheating on me. His very religous father keeps calling to "pray with" me.....says his son is " happily playing golf in heaven'". Now he wants to do bible study with me. He's mourning, very devistated by his sons death. (He knows what kind of person his son was). I don't want to hurt his father further by refusing all this bible stuff, but it's getting irratating. Don't know what to say to him to make him stop. Any suggestions?

carolrn 4 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

74 comments (51 - 74)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just tell him you are not a believer, so what if his feelings get hurt, why would that be your responsibility? Just say it politely and that's it. I he gets upset, that's his problem.

No suggestions but I'm sorry for you loss. As for playing golf in heaven that is quit a step. It's about as bad as a graveside funeral where at the end someone says "he's up there in heaven now." Moments before that he was lowered into the ground.

Tell him no nicely. If that doesn't work tell him no not nicely and go from there. Take care of yourself and good luck.

Sorry for your loss. And my heart goes out to the father as well. I can't imagine losing some you've watched grow, raised, fed, loved, cared for only to lose them. To worry how they suffered, to be completely unable to help them or comfort them. To never see them or hold them. It must be beyond devastating.

Please consider helping the father out. He is in great pain and he is just trying to find comfort. I don't believe in the bible, but I would read it jyst try to help him find comfort, albeit briefly. Your focus should be on helping him out, but you don't have to believe. Its ok to pretend.

You are one of the few remaining connections to his son. Someone who can talk about him, share memories about him. Do something nice in his honor. That's what this is about. The Bible is just a pretext for sharing grief and conforti4ng each other because its easier to do it with someone.

Please, please help him. Dont abandon him just because he wants to read the bible. If he is an angry jerk, of course stop. But if he is just wanting to mourn with you, make some tea, talk about him, tell him good stories about his son, and do something in his memory. It is important to do that.

Soon enough i think he will revovet4 and both on you will move on.

Tell him the truth: that you are not available for praying or Bible study. Unless he is supporting you, you do not owe him any reasons for what you do or do not choose to do.

Deb57 Level 8 June 9, 2020

Maybe you could be vague and say you know what, now is not a good time. I'm not very happy with god these days. I'll let you know when I'm ready. If I'm ready.
Welcome!

Agree. No need to get in the negative stuff. Just tell dad you’re not ready and leave it at that. It sounds like dad is a good man and just wants to help. I’ve been in those shoes before

“I’m atheistic and while I understand your desire to work through your sense of guilt, I really don’t need your ministrations.”

Be busy....you have Plenty to do, right?

Good advice....too busy to answer the phone or the door when a religious fanatic is harassing her

Be firm but gentle, I think

Welcome to the forum!

Just be forward and let him know you cannot believe in the fairy stories and you are understanding of the loss.

How about getting thing a new phone number? You owe this person absolutely nothing.

Or block his number.

Here is what I do with my family:
I live in a house with five Christians. They insist on Bible study and prayer, just about every night.
I simply go along, listen to the verse of the day, and listen to their prayers.
They know I am an atheist, but when we have round robin prayer, I simply say something positive about my family, simply saying I am glad I have an organized family, and I am glad that we share what is on our minds, every evening.
Maybe, you can do something like that. You can say to him, "I know you feel that god is helping you to deal with your sorrow. But I hope you accept my help, as I talk with you, and help you with your sorrow."
Folks who help each other, when they are all atheists helping each other, they simply understand that humans are helping humans. Some Christians feel that it's actually god helping them, using humans.
If you can say all that to him, maybe he will accept your help, as you talk with him, listen to whatever Bible verse that comforts him, and "pray" with him, as I "pray" with my family.
I hope that advice helps you.
(Edit)
I suggest you do this Bible study and "prayer," over the phone, not in person.
Others have given you that caution; I agree with them.
Do not get alone with him, face to face.
Over the phone is plenty good enough, in my opinion.

bigjac Level 6 June 15, 2020

There's golf in heaven?

Of course, there is golf in heaven, the cheeto plays golf and will be going there.

Avoiding the word 'sorry', is a good start. Adjusting words can help your mindset. You are not responsible for him, or his feelings about his son's death, or his need for the crutch of religion.

"Its sad ... that an awful situation has brought us together. To survive, now, and for any chance to recover, later, I need to step away. I'm not the right person to help you through this." If he insists ... be unavailable, have another commitment, schedule that as your time to meditate or exercise or receive a call from a supportive friend. If you're likely to get caught, set an alarm on your phone that matches your ring tone. Step away & call a friend. If he persists ... "My examining the contents of your book, would not be appropriate, at this time." Best wishes.

LizZyG Level 5 June 12, 2020

My condolences. Just curious how his son would feel about all this bible stuff, would he have supported this relationship with his father?

Run

Sorry to hear all that. Maybe tell him you're afraid if you keep praying over him you will accidentally trap his soul in purgatory with all your grief. The only way to make sure he gets to heaven is to let him go, not pray over him any more. See if that works!

Sorry to hear this. You are not likely to get any help on the problems that lead up to this from the Bible. There are people in religions who could help because they understand the Human condition but you will have to search them out . Then you might be able to help out your friends father rather than give in to him.

The dead guy put you at risk for STDs......his daddy is trying to infest you with xian disease ....it's not xmas it is summer.....feeling sorry for an addict and his abusive fanatic father is harming you .....they both betray you and common decency. He is harrassing you .....refuse his phone calls DON'T ANSWER block him if you can...if he knocks on your door DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR....if there are clothing or furniture of the deceased where you live you may destroy or keep it all as you see fit....you owe liars and criminals NOTHING....TAKE A SHORT VACATION....get out of town for a few days....heal yourself

If you share a lot of connections with him you might have to take decisive action to gain some space. If not, you might be able to quietly fade away. Might also work if you can get other friends of his to concentrate on supporting him, which might be good for him and a useful distraction.

I am Sorry for your Loss.

Sorry for your loss and hard time, I wouldn't do bible study with him, let him do his own thing, prayer and bible study doesn't work anyway, but that;s just me, It's your decision of course. Good luck to you.

You don't have to tell anything about your beliefs. I would advise you to tell him that you want to be there to support him, say that you will be available if he wants to talk and find a way to get away from the praying, if you're not comfortable with it.

Tell me you don't believe in God. He does you don't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:504386
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.