Agnostic.com

10 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They should be more concerned about sexual abuse in the organization which has gone on for much to long .

I was a Weblos, boy scout and explorer but it was so long ago I don't remember how much BS there was. It was before the moron church bought it out so I assume not much. Still, all I cared for was camping and doing fun stuff. I made it all the way to 2nd class and when I left I was given 5 merit badges and told I had done so much I must have qualified for certain badges. lol Just like my military service, it was a (fun) joke.

Oh, how very sweet of them.

I was a Cubs Scout, a Scout, a Rover and a Scout Leader, decorated for bravery by the Governor General of Canada (who is also the Chief Scout of Canada) ----------- Do I look like a Believer to you?

I was a Girl Guide...and my husband was a Boy Scout, and then a Scout Leader. I was always a non believer, even as a child, but never had a problem with saying the Guide promise “To do my best, to do my duty, to god and the Queen”, as it was completely meaningless to me. That, and the once a year church service and parade on St. George’s Day, were the only religious trappings we had, but of course I’m talking about the U.K. I loved being in the Guides and all the outdoorsy things we did like camping & trekking, also gaining an armful of badges for skills such as life-saving, first-aid, cooking & sewing. I loved it so much I enrolled my two sons in first the Cubs and then the Scouts, they both loved being in them too. A number of years ago they dropped the God and the Queen part from the promise in the UK...to make the organisation more inclusive to those of other faiths and none, and at no time did they ban atheists from joining. In any case children cannot be either atheist or believer at the age they join the Scouts as they aren’t old enough to have made an informed decision on religion...in my opinion.

Here the girl scouts are different than the BS. They don't have any of the BS, bs. Many city and state entities would not subsidize them because of their discriminatory practices. I worked a Seattle City Environmental Learning Center and the BS were not welcome whereas the girl scouts were.

Did you see my comment about a new term? It's under Just for laughs. Seems really fitting these days.

In Australia there is not one skerric of any religious affiliation to god in the scout movement, or at least none I have noticed. No prayer, no church service.

I was a scout and they need to take all that God stuff out of it.

Grecio Level 7 June 19, 2020

Eh. Rather be a Cadet than a Scout any day

redhog Level 7 June 19, 2020

What is a cadet?

@Grecio jrotc. Some schools are selected to get a class half paid for by a branch of the military. Yeah ifs a recruiting tool but it teaches a hell of alot more skills than the scouts ever have.

I cannot imagine why any atheist would WANT to join the Boy Scouts. Might as well go to Bible Camp.

@TheMiddleWay I was actually wondering if such a group existed. Good to know, I guess.

The Girl Scouts are better in every way.

Maybe so but a Girl Scout should not be a Boy Scout.

I don't know why a Girl Scout would want to be a Boy Scout. Unless you are making a thinly veiled transphobic remark.

@Theresa_N It looks pretty transphobic to me, too, but I could hypothesize reasons why a girl might want to be a Boy Scout. Maybe she's more interested in the rugged stuff. Maybe she isn't interested in cookie sales. Maybe all the mean girls in her class are already in the Girl Scouts, and she'd rather not join a group that they're a part of.

@AmyTheBruce Um I was in girl scouts all growing up, I can guarantee you we did rugged stuff. Boy scouts sell popcorn, how is that different than selling cookies? I think you might have misconceptions about girl scouts.

@AmyTheBruce, @DenoPenno Fine, then boys can be girl scouts, girl scouts are just cool that way.

@CommonHuman I love this answer. ❤️

@CommonHuman perhaps I do have some misconceptions.

Yeah, the boy scouts don't have cookies.

My wife was a GS who went all the way back in the Ancient Times. Girl Scouts is a very different program then boy scouts and while some did out door things it was very different. Nowa days a girl CAN join a Boy Scout Troop. This was because of shrinking sizes and many girls go on big trips, but get no recognition, earn nothing except a good time.

This along with the move to inclusion of gays and up to but not gay leadership caused the Mormons to have an abortion, that is they pulled back from Scouting. Or at least at the time that was the big announcement.

I have a son who is and Eagle Scout and we floated the issue past him. His answer was, the kids in the program old enough to really get the issue had NO issue with gay scouts, and religion-less scouts.

When I would not say the Pledge of Allegiance with the god reference, (I simple paused as I made my pledge). One day after years of this somebody noticed. They buzzed me on it I told them I was an Atheist. Another time I said I was Wiccan, that was fun, my Ankh sold it to them. I made sure they understood it was NOT and "EGYPTION CROSS"

On the whole they though it weird, said I should have just said it as it was good for the kids to hear it. I said nothing, and it was dropped.

Almost every Scout troop is underwritten by a church or other civic group. Every Mormon kid is/was required to be one and expected to "Eagle".

I used to put either and Ankh or Eye of Horus/Bast on things, then revel in telling people it is not a connection to Christainity!

Boy Scouts sought out deeply religious scoutmasters, some who liked to molest boys.

barjoe Level 9 June 19, 2020

@TheMiddleWay I can always count on you for calling others out on opinions. Refreshing for me.

@TheMiddleWay I don't know from first hand knowledge. I was never an alter boy either. It's common knowledge as well as Catholic priests.

They found plenty.

@TheMiddleWay I said they sought "men of faith" many of whom molested scouts. Twist my words around why don't you? They didn't seek pedophiles. They have been covering up this problem though. I had to slightly edit.

@TheMiddleWay I edited it because I couldn't foresee that someone would misinterpret and in your case misrepresent what I said. The Boy Scouts, Catholic Church and apparently you like to cover up for rampant abuse.

@TheMiddleWay The Catholic Church and BSA have long been covering up for predator priests and scout masters. If you're defending those entities and say you need proof, you are looking the other way. You are either an advocate for predators or just being contrary.

@TheMiddleWay I.hope not. You tell me.

@TheMiddleWay I wasn't saying that. Those are your words. I certainly am not saying you have ever withheld information about any crime, I think you wouldn't do that. Don't be an apologist for the actions of Catholic Church and BSA, who I do accuse of cover up crimes.

@TheMiddleWay No

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:507554
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.