Agnostic.com

25 47

Assumptions . . .

My dear sister who is a "liberal" Christian had a heart attack about 10 days ago. By "liberal," I mean that she does not condemn LBGT and knows that evolution happened. I went down to stay with her for a few days and her church brought by lunch and dinner on one of the days.

The women who brought the lunch were pleased to meet me (of course) and when my sister noted that I was going home on Saturday, one of the women said, "Oh, no! She needs to stay for church!" Neither my sister nor I said anything though I KNOW that I smiled rather wickedly.

Today, my sister went to church and when the lady mentioned me, my sister told her that I was "agnostic." (She thinks that it "sounds" better than "atheist." ) She said that the woman had a horrified look--perhaps partly because I am not Baptist, but also because she wanted me to stay for church. She even said in horror over her faux pas, "And I asked her to come to church!"

People often assume that I am Christian because I am "nice." They should not assume that all "nice" people are Xtian--neither should atheist assume that all Christians are horrid people.

Gwendolyn2018 9 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Around here people assume atheists is code for 'devil worshipper'.

It seems to be an inherent belief of evangelicals everywhere, such a sad show of ignorance and fear.

@tinkercreek
The “So far Right the red is starting to look plaid” Christian churches here in DFW teach their congregation that Atheists are Satan worshipers.

I used to work with someone who marveled that I’m not Christian because I’m kind and moral. As if a religious group has the patent on kindness and morality. 🤷♀️

They most certainly think and believe they do.

It's usually the opposite. They are just very good at pretending to be kind and moral.

When I left the Mormon church most of my former brethren and sisteren kept well away. About two years later I encountered in town a family with who I had been very close in my church going days , after talking with them for a few minutes, the husband said "It's amazing how well you are doing I would have thought by now..." and then he blushed and stopped himself, I just smiled.
Many godbotherers really do believe the myth that we become atheist "in order to sin" as if enough of them don't do so anyway.
When they find we have not become baby eating, debauched, drunkards who have been abandoned by god and the world it really does confuse them.Why have not been smitted by the righteous wrath of the Lords holy fire, why are we not walling in misery? To them it just does not seem fair.

Yes, funny that, many so called Christians have these pre conceived ideas about nobody but Christians can be "nice" and yet they have so many problems with sexual misconduct by their very own pastor/priests, and they vote for Donald.

There's a bit of everything in every group. The good and the bad. No exception. Most of my friends are religious but they are very educated and open minded.

In my opinion, if one is "very educated and open minded" and says they are religious, it is just to satisfy Pascal's Wager.

@jlynn37, it's your opinion and you're absolutely entitled to it. Your experience with religious people most likely is very different than mine so it's natural we disagree on this.

@Gwendolyn2018 ha,ha. These are the same people that are sure they could get the gays to return to “Normal” if they could just spend enough time with them and show them the errors of their thinking.

Nobody ever assumes I am Christian. Or nice.

JimG Level 8 June 22, 2020

@Gwendolyn2018 Most people don't give me reasons to smile under normal circumstances.

@JimG Perhaps you need to get out more. I'm an atheist and do a lot of volunteering. I find numerous reasons to smile every day. There are a lot of good every day people, all faiths and no faith.

Because every week they listen to a lecture, telling them that Christians are the only nice and special people, then they go around all week telling each other the same thing. It really beings in the same root place as racism.

I am a nice, older, white, male living in Texas. It is assumed that I am a MAGA christian. When told that neither is true I get “Yeah, sure.”

I'm just wondering how you get a Baptist who doesn't condemn LGBT folks, and admits to evolution ? That's more than enough around here to get crosses burned into ones lawn and be uninvited to the rapture party.

@Gwendolyn2018 around here, discussing liberal views with a Baptist is a good way to get burned at the stake.

@Gwendolyn2018 further south you go, the humidity seems to shrink the brain cells of the majority.

As long as we make assumptions about the "other side" we'll never truly have world peace.

Reality is that most christians assume things constantly whereas non believers are very reticent to assume things due to our natural skepticism.

You nailed that. Christians take everything at face value.

I cannot tell you how many times I've been assumed that for the same "being nice" reason. :::eyeroll:::

@Gwendolyn2018 Me either! The kicker was during a party at my house and some catholic guy found out I was atheist. First comment was but you're so nice! Second was what stops you from becoming lawless and a murderer. I told him that if he's relying on some sky god to prevent him murdering someone that he needs to take a look at himself more closely. We all stop OURSELVES from doing anything to hurt others.

@Gwendolyn2018

Beliefs will have influence. But there are many other factors that determine the character of an individual.

How is your sister doing?

Perhaps the woman who invited you to church was horrified to think that you might bring a virus of doubt into her congregation.

Our Atheism is indeed a logic virus a continuous demand for proof and rational response to the irrational non definition of their alleged gawds and alleged miracles

I'll just second paddies comment. Amazing isn't it. 🙄 And I hope your sister is back to her regular schedule very soon if not already.

I love it when I get to challenge a stereotype like this! Especially with people from my former religion because we were indoctrinated to believe that former members are mentally diseased and lead by Satan. Nope, I’m the same as I always was, I just don’t follow the religion anymore.

kdmom Level 6 Sep 7, 2020

I hope your sister has a speedy recovery.
Unfortunately, many x-tains assume only other x-tains can be decent people and that anyone who is not x-tain is a bad person.

CS60 Level 7 June 23, 2020

She should be horrified she assumed you were christian

@Gwendolyn2018 I don't think she learned a lesson. How else is she supposed to get into heaven if she doesnt recruite people?

@JoyKiser The original multi level marketing scheme.

I’m sure they’ll get over it.

Good and not so good in every group

Agreed.

I can handle the Jimmy Carter evangelicals. As I like to remind some people, liberal evangelicals helped FDR do the New Deal.
And, except for the Rick Santorum Catholics, most really accept science and evolution (not sure about that catholic school in Kentucky), but the church accepts evolution.

I always try to wait for people to show me who and what they are, does not take as much thought.

I hear what your saying the last 2 paragraphs. One the biggest reasons I left religion over 2 years ago, but wish it was 20, is I wanted to be myself. I live my life I see fit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:508265
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.