Agnostic.com

53 4

How do Americans view Canadians?

Is it realistic?

atheist 8 Apr 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've put off renewign my passport hinking that if things really get bad here in thye U.S., I can cross into Canada with no problem, but they wont' let me back int he U.S. without the passport. I do nto think I'd be all that upset about beign "stuck" in Canada. If I had enough money to qualify for immigration status I probably would consider immigrating there.

Lots of Americans fled the US during the Viet Nam conflict for very valid reasons. I stayed and served my two year enlistment but it was a very open option that was only open to those who couldn't find a Doctor to get them 4 F'd for Bone Spurs, or a continuation onto a University that enabled them to pursue endless fields of study. You don't need to renew worry about renewing your passport to go and find out information from the Canadian Government who will and are very knowledgeable about your concerns and the options you are facing. Pack and bag and get on board the cheapest form of travel.

@iamjc Last I checked it was $250K, but that ws after George W. Bush was elected. Haven't checked recently.

@atheist Canadians have high standards in order to eligible for immigration or permanent residence. This is in part due to the U.S. not having socialized medicine, as they dont' want a glood of people with huge health problems.

You have to have significant savings or else at least have employment in an eligible category. I think I also read that if you want immediate health benefits you have to buy in to the system.

At this point, most of us wish we were Canadian.

@atheist if the entire region was on fire you would have a point.

I lived in Canada for 15 or so years, mostly around Vancouver but I spend a year in Edmonton and a couple of years in Victoria. Love it.

If I could go back and do it again, I would have taken out Canadian citizenship. I really, really wish I had. 😟

@atheist Yes, there are many subtle cultural differences. Bangers and mash for breakfast. Thanksgiving comes before Halloween. Boxing Day. Curling is a sport !?! Saskatoon Berry Tarts!! It's fun to discover these differences. I visit when I can.

@atheist Yes, they are different. The social benefits are a big deal. People are a little kinder, more willing to share at a societal level, the arts are supported and people think that is ok, and it is more secure. No one in Canada is worried they will go bankrupt if they get sick. At least in BC, seniors can defer property tax until the house is sold by them or the estate so people who bought houses in Vancouver 40 years ago aren't forced to move as they cannot afford the tax. Lots of little things make a big difference.

@atheist re: Saskatoon berries aka June berries or sarvice berries ..... Though I like your definition too!!

They seem happy not to be a part of the US right now.

oh yes we are - but we feel for you, we really do.

A lot of them hate their own representation. It's kind of interesting.

@RavenCT Yep.

we have a completely different political system with good and bad politicians - but our worst crap seems to pale in comparison to what we are watching you suffer through.

@MsDee I don't watch the news anymore.

I watched "Due South" does that answer your question? lol (Also I have it on DVD). Paul Gross and Leslie Nielsen - I'm sure I have a very believable idea of Canadians?

Also my family came here through Canada. I still have relatives there. They are still sarcastic bastards - but they are more polite.

I am pretty polite most days actually? Residual Canadian contact? IDK.

We are sarcastic bastards - national pastime

I love Due South
I often say 'Thank you kindly' to people, which always put's a smile on their face 🙂

@GothRik It really would? I should try that.

@MsDee Apparently the gene was passed down by my ancestors.....

My first cousins kids upon meeting the entire family at a dinner - "OMG these are my people! They understand our humor!".

@RavenCT Well. it sounds so much more sincere than, say, 'Have a nice day' . Also, courtesy cost nothing, but it can be very rewarding 🙂

@GothRik I unfailingly say nice things to store clerks and servers (etc) but "Thank you kindly" just has that wonderful ring to it.

Things are too hard IRL to not be nice.
I'm so aware that I have no idea what may be happening in the life of someone I have a very short interaction with.

Well, how do Canadians see Americans??.... Its just people my friend, nothing less nothing more....

Well as Canadian - guys we look at you funny too lol.
And as Russian who moved to Canada in 2004 - there is a lot of small tiny differences that made me choose Canada over US. And I would do it again.
Most Canadian joke - One day Canada will rule the world, and everybody will sorry!
Really polite country indeed?. If you exclude Montreal lol.

Being either American nor Canadian I have a funny perspective. Both my kids have been to teh states a few times, and say, like all Australians seem to, that the Americans are so friendly to them. Over here we get lots of back packers and a few years ago when I had time off I would go and party, sail and dive in the backpacker hotspots. The Americans largey stick together with other Americans of their own age. The Canadians (I only met Canadian ladies, never saw a Canadian guy there) were extremely open, keen to meet new people, and very affectionate.
I assumed that over here the Americans and Canadians would hang together, I was wrong.

@atheist I really don't know, but it happened on most trips over a 10 year period. Though my son met a girl from Atlanta up there, they stayed in touch and finally he went over to visit her, then later she came here. However she was a student here for a few years rather than a backpacker. I mean, seriously, despite their British connections, Canadians still drive on the wrong side of the road. I did find these backpacking expeditions so amusing though. The British guys would drink all night and be too sick to sail, so their ladies would come without them, the Germans would drink as much, yet the guys would still come for a sail, they were just very green in colour. The Chinese and Japanese would would book to go snorkeling and diving, yet arrive with no experience or qualifications and most could not swim so were unable to do much of anything. The older southern Europeans somehow thought they would be able to magically experience the coral without getting wet. Just generalizations of course and the atmosphere was always jovial and friendly.

@atheist I agree, and it is weird, I have never been overseas. Backpacking is great and prior to that I have made so many very close friends from the Pacific Islands. Such friendly people, we are like family when together.

They're what the people in the states should be like.

@AMNOTGOD
That's one of my pet peeves, and I did it myself.

I kinda wish Canada would annex Washington state. I'd happily be a Canadian.

Looney and all.

@atheist why, thank you! ?

@atheist unrealistic? When I was younger I would have pursued it. Its expensive now, I'm not a Chinese chef, doctor, rich, or anything that would make Canada want to take me in. I am horrified by my country recently. The ugly that has crawled out in the last year is shameful & depressing. I'd love to be around Canadians every day.

Usually if they are in the distance I can stand on a chair to see them.

Can you see me waving? 😉

@MsDee hi, how you doing?

Doing just fine here in the great white north. Waiting for spring to really arrive. If you see it while you’re up on that chair, please send it my way!

Special forces were developed by them they can't be that bad. I do find some of them a bit odd though, that is good because I love odd.

I’m dying to know what ‘a bit odd’ refers to. Most Canadians would wear that title proudly by the way. ?

@MsDee My uncle had dual citizenship, he retired there he operated one of the nuclear power plants up there. One of my favorite oddities is ketchup on mac and cheese, my daughter eats it that way.

Speaking for just me.. well maybe a few friends, we see Canadians as very nice and courtesous people....and lovely Vancouver, has more Chinese living there, than any other minority...

No judgements. ...

And they have given us Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Randy Bachmann, Burton Cummings , HEART, Alanis.. the Guess Who, Neil Young, DRAKE... but not Alan Thicke.. Lovely country . You get two in one .. French Canada and the rest.... The women are gorgeous and many come here to So Cali for the weather and their careers..
Did I pass the test ?

Not bad! ?There are a ton of other artists as well - not to mention the slew of comedy geniuses we have shared with you. Come visit us some time (you’d likely prefer summer). The population of our entire country is less than the population of California so we have lots of room!

I think they are harmless. And that the québécois are obsessed with smoke meat and poutine and their bagels are odd. I like their maple syrup and peameal bacon.

And their desire to gain independence pops up now and then.

Five years ago when I didn't know as much, as dorky in a bad way, but harmless. Now that I realize how secular their country is, and how large one of my favorite sports is there, mixed martial arts, I view them as cool and progressive, and probably more my type of people than Americans.

@atheist My very first impression of Canadians was shaped reading by a music critic's comment, in the New Rolling Stone Record Guide, that has stuck with me to this day, about the group Triumph's albums:"Docked one star each for plotting world domination from Canada; I mean, at least if these guys were German, they might even be a little frightening instead of quite laughable." Then there was Bob & Doug McKenzie, and also the 'aboot' style accent. But I've now moved way beyond that.

West coast Canadian folks are cool......

@atheist Same way West coast Americans are cooler than East coast or the vast nothingness in between... Sorry Manitoban... 🙂 You're still better than flyover USA.

And this is a gross generalization, obviously there are many exceptions.

The Canadians I meet here in Florida during the winter months all seem to have big smiles on their faces.

cava Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

True, partly because they are on vacation and warm... you do need sunglasses for the pale skin on the beach as much as for the Sun.

Ever seen South Park? 😉

@atheist totally ??Lol

One of our Canadian comedy gems,

MsDee Level 5 Apr 6, 2018

I wish I was Canadian. Murica kinda sucks these days. Too bad we couldn't be great again...

@atheist - Ha!

My Great Grandparents were all from Quebec. I mostly view Canadians by watching Red-Green.

Red was my introduction to the Canadian people 🙂 hmmmmm....

I'm English but I was reminded of this clip 🙂
REAL Canadian Road Rage

Yup this one is awesome.

More Favorably than you would care to realize. We are having a hard time realizing ourselves amid the big divide that is occuring and no one is addressing.

@atheist I have lived in Buffalo, NY during the Blizzard of 77 when the 82nd Airborne had to come and dig the city out. I've lived in Manchester NH, Stowe Vermont and I know more about Canadian Culture than most Canadians do. I've been to Quebec 3X, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. I also play the bagpipes. Grass is not a consideration that would ever cross my mind.

I'd live there in a heartbeat.

Not at all. I've spent a great deal of time in Canada, both for work and because I used to date a couple Canadian women (I've always had a thing for y'all...don't ask me..LOL). I refer to it as "Polite America". The difference is astounding. Not to mention things like environmental awareness...inclusiveness...open mindedness. Your problems pale next to ours. Especially now.

I love Canadians, very friendly. I traveled overseas a lot and people thought I was Canadian. I finally asked why everyone thought that, they said because I was kind and quiet ? So it seems they make good impressions wherever they go.

@atheist ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51664
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.