Agnostic.com

20 32

This very sweet, little fellow belonged to my neighbor a couple of years ago. My neighbor failed to neuter him and once he got out, he never went back. He ran wild until this spring when he started frequenting my garage for shelter and my back door for food.

One day I was horrified to find most of a cat's tail in my garage, but no sign of who it came from or how it had been severed. The next time I saw this cat, he was indeed missing most of his tail. I did the research and found that a cat's tail is part of its spine and tail loss frequently causes balance issues. But not for this little fellow, he was getting around just fine, I'm happy to say.

He was coming to the back door for food regularly after another month. One night he appeared with a huge bloody gash in his neck. I could never get anywhere near him so I slept on it. When I saw him the next day, I got as close as I could and was increasingly concerned about the wound. I called my vet and asked him if he would help me if I could get the cat there and he said he would. I rented a trap and it took two nights but I caught him and boy was he pissed!

The vet stitched up the wound with individual stitches and neutered the cat. He said the wound was so deep that the cat would not have survived it unattended. He asked me to keep the cat in the garage for five days for recovery. I didn't think it would work but it did.

Over the next month or so, the cat's temperment changed because of the neutering. He slowly began to show interest in entering my house and eventually he did. He's so content now that he rarely even goes outside anymore. He seems to enjoy the company of the other cats and he loves me to death. There's always room for one more, right? I am trying to outlive my cats because there is no one to take over for me but this fellow is only about three. I figure I'll do what I can while I can and that's all I can do.

I named him Sweet Pea, like Popeye and Olive Oyl's baby.

LovinLarge 8 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lucky cat, good human!

Many thanks!

What else is our money for but to relieve the suffering in the world. Blessings upon you.

Agreed, I did not really have any choice. I told the story because of how well it turned out. I have to meet my basic needs first but when there are leftovers, I am happy to pass it along.

My cat's name is Sweet Pea, a female. A friend found her at a gas station and gave her to me. She had an injured leg, as if something had bitten her. I took her to a vet and found out she was spayed and chipped, but the owner, a college co-ed did not want her back. She is young, not much past a kitten, but my nephew will take her if I outlive her. Did you find out how your cat lost part of its tail?

Great name! I like non-people names for pets, not sure why. Did Sweet Pea's leg heal up okay? I wish I had a nephew like yours.

Not too long after I found the tail in the garage, I had gone out to the garage to look for the cat. He was not in his basket but something else was. I thought it was another cat so I shook the basket and a raccoon popped his head up. I got rid of the raccoon overnight and had the fence mended because as much as I would like to help it, I can't have a raccoon around here. I understand they can climb, but I haven't seen it since.

My theory is that the raccoon bit Sweet Pea's tail off and I just can't imagine how painful that was. Probably used up one of his nine lives. Thanks for asking and sharing.

Lovely story, lovely cat. Good for both of you. It seems that they know comfort once they taste it. I, too, am not collecting any more critters as I have no one to directly take over. I do have provisions in my will for a niece to make sure they find good homes. The current household is four cats, including my senior who turns 20 next month, and a loaner dog. I'd just as soon keep the dog. His return to my brother was interrupted by covid.

Thank you very much. Love how you've made arrangements for your kitties when the time comes. Sounds like a fun household! You know you've done something right when your cats live that long. Hard to give up a pet once you've had them for awhile, you may have to hang onto puppy dog. Thanks for sharing your story!

We had a feral cat in the neighborhood that was not being cared for, he would come to the back door as once we noticed his presence we would put food out for him. Eventually he would come into the house and he was always the gentleman in the house with the other cats and us. He got into a great fight and got hurt, we scooped him up, he let us, and took him to the vet. $150 later he was our indoor cat. This did not work, so he got to go out eventually just to check the neighborhood and then he would come as push on the screen door and we would let him in. Jack, was a great cat and he lived with us for fifteen years. He was my buddy. When he passed we went up the coast and became adopted by Cosmo. Cosmo was feral, taken in by a shelter, he is going to be a lap cat. I do not know what it is but feral cats that come to us turn out well. Sometimes it takes some time but it is more than worth it.

Wonderful story, thank you. I guess they are just so happy to have a home that settling in becomes a priority for them. Although I know that settling in takes effort from the humans involved, too. I am just so grateful for all of the lovely people who go out of their way to assist the less fortunate, regardless of the species.

I loathe cats and am allergic to their dander. Cats kill over 4 billion songbirds each year.

Way to keep it positive!

I'm sure they don't fancy you either. Wow.🐾🐾

@Purplelotuspod

To my disgust, I'm a cat magnet. They sense our mutual loathing.

I know cats can be a terror to birds. Being allergic to them is hard. Kate is allergic to cats but will not do anything about it as it is a joy for her.

I know cats kill birds so I do not let my cat go outside at all. Anyway, indoor cats live longer.

You did a wonderful thing and I commend you.

Feral cats are a growing problem in many places. Why? Stupid people is the easy answer for why, but not an answer for a solution, at this point. In Chicago, where I spend half my time, there are an estimated 200k stray or feral cats. In my home state if Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, there are well over 400k and growing, even as the city spats and neutered 67k a year. The discussion has already begun to do what parts of Australia are doing - killing them. I find that sad, but, I don't have an answer to replace that.

Thank you. I've never gone looking for a cat. Mine are essentially all other peoples' discards and that suits me fine.

I try not to think about that situation in Australia. I can tell you that I would never even travel to a place that would take such horrifying action. There are experts in this field who could provides alternatives but I haven't studied up on it.

In the US, I think spaying and neutering can be cost-prohibitive or appear to be so. It needs to be mandatory and as such provided free of charge by local authorities. But as you say, perhaps even that would be insufficient.

I would like to see animals be treated as a civic responsibility rather than entertainment but that will be a long time in coming. In the final analysis, like with everything else, I try to accomplish as much as I can every day and help others including animals as much as I can along the way and at this point I have to be satisfied with that.

If we applied that logic to humans, people would listen. Lol

The Aussies seem to always have problems. Something in their ecosystem must have gotten out of whack. I seem to recall they had problems with rats, rabbits and mice at different times, or maybe still do. And kangaroos are seen as pests.

I think I recall seeing footage of anti-rabbit campaigns where mobs of people were out bludgeoning rabbits. They have also used poison and deep digging.

I hate to think of the slaughter by shooting but it is better than bludgeoning or poisoning. You would think they could think of alternatives. I don't know what the answers are either.

@itsmedammit the Aussies got rid of 95% of their rabbits with a virus. Now they have about 20 years or so to figure out what to do once those leftovers repopulate.

Ferals are overtaking me. I feed them and most evenings there are ten or more outside waiting for me.
Now several of them ant to be friends and come up to be petted. I'm at my wits end with them. I don't mind feeding them but have allergies to them.

Sounds like some men. A sheriff was once asked what he would do to cut teenage crime and he said to lock them up until they got to their 30's.

We grew up with cats and my mother often gave them crazy names. We had a swinging door from the kitchen to the bedroom and the cat didn't get through it in time and it bent his tail. My mother named the cat "Fast Eddy."

Thanks for the giggles!

Years ago my family had a similar experience with a tabby cat. I told the kids not to feed him because if they did he would want to stay with us. We had that cat for the rest of its life. 🙂

Yes, I'm starting to wonder if very many people actually go out looking for a cat or if most cats go looking for people. It must he instinctive to feed them when they seem hungry because it sure is hard not to. I sure like that happy ending, thank you for sharing it with me.

@LovinLarge I think cats go out looking for people. In our case maybe the cat liked the children and its former owners had no children. Just a thought.

@LovinLarge Cats look for people. I believe it's their nature.

@freeofgod I'm convinced there's a large mark on the side of my house that only cats can see.

How fortunate I have been many times over the years to get the opportunity to save lives.

You're a good person, LovinLarge. 🙂

Aw, many thanks for saying so. I have to admit, if a similar thing happened with another cat tomorrow, I would do it all over again. And when I am at my lowest, I can look back and remember that I made a difference and that someone said I was a good person and that will be my lifeline. Thank you for that.

Oh..he’s so beautiful! What a great heart warming story...Sweet Pea is a lucky guy to have come to your garage, and look at him now, happy and contented! Well done to you!!

Thank you very much for your kind words. Of course when he is In a feisty mood and has decided that my forearm is an enemy to be reckoned with, he fails to recognize how critical its owner was in his survival. But when he lays his head against mine and we affectionately rub cheeks, it is all totally worth it. Thanks for noticing.

Typical teenager!

I have to wonder how many of his nine lives he's used up already!

Maybe all males should be neutered, me thinks.

Good idea! Shall we limit that rule to pets?

@LovinLarge Nooooo

What a pretty cat!
I have included my dogs in my will, naming the person who agreed to take them (their vet!). She agreed because I also bequeathed $5,000 for their care....most people do not want a geriatric pet because they are afraid of the potential costs.........

I really like that you've made arrangements for your dogs and that you have someone you trust. That must give you comfort. It is a very caring thing you've done and I admire it. Thank you for telling me about it.

@LovinLarge I am no spring chicken & my brother & his wife, my executors, are "cat people". I love them but they would have no idea how to find rescue dogs a a good home

@creative51 thanks! I will say the older I get the feistier I get....it was a lifelong dream of mine to be whacking people with a cane at this age,and now they can't even prove it was me because I wear my mask! Buwahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I have done similar in my will. Gives me a bit of piece of mind.

We do what we can. I got my El during a snowstorm. It'd taken me two hours to drive home and as I put my key in the door, I heard a noise. I looked around and saw nothing, went to open the door again and heard it again. Under the stairs going up was a snowdrift. I dug her out, she was stiff, and it took an hour in tepid water to get her to move. Got her into the emergency vet the next morning and, she's completely fine....but he said what I heard was her dying. I put up fliers and no claims, so I chipped her. I've had her six years now. We're good buddies. When I found her she was spayed but they think her owners may have dumped her because she tests positive for feline aids. I've kept her on good food and she's never shown any symptoms, whatsoever. Vet said she may never develop it as long as I keep her on good care and good quality food. Her favorite treats are steak and low sodium ham....but that's rare.

That is one lucky cat! Thank you for sharing your story, it made me feel good.

To me it is invaluable having nonjudgmental buddies who are so pleased just to be around me, who rarely want to argue and are seemingly appreciative of my care. I'm glad things are working out so well for you two!

@LovinLarge this is El

@Larimar What a beautiful girl she is. She knows how lucky she is, looking all relaxed and content. I think of long haired cats as luxury models. Thanks again.

What a wonderful result for you both! If only more people knew how many benefits there are to neutering cats, and this dear one easily realized a better way to live. I see his little 'happy paw' curled there, how sweet 💕

Yes, I don't have to look very far to realize how fortunate I am. He almost always comes when I call him and he is a cuddlebug.

I was very surprised that he shows little interest in going outside anymore but he does seem perfectly content to stay in. He is a completely different cat because of the neuter, yet still feisty and very personable.

Thanks very much for stressing the neuter point as it is an important one.

I had a similar storY. About 20 years ago we had a young, mature black cat coming around our house. My wife was scaring him away, as we already had three cats. But he was being almost daily pummeled by another stray cat. After a while, he was injured, weak, and skinny.I tried to pet him, but could not get near him.When I saw him, I put out a bowl of food, and sat down on the ground some distance away. Each day, I repeated the routine, but was moving closer to him daily. After a couple of weeks, I I sat down close enough that I could reach out and pet him. When I was able to pet him, he accepted him, but bit me on the hand several times, as though he was testing me to see if I would hit him, and I did not.

I put a bed for him in the garage so that he could have safety from the other cat during the night, and let him out in the day time The other cat hurt him badly , and he let us take him to the vet. For a while, I would sit in he garage and try to coax him to come over and sit in my lap. After a number of days,he finally did. From then on, he was my little best buddy. As he got friendly, as the other attacking cat was frequently around, I persuaded my wife to let the little guy in the house. After a few days all of the cats got used to each other and he became a house cat. My wife named him "Spirit."

Spirit became the best cat I have ever had. When I would sit back in my recliner, he would sit on my chest, so that we were face to face, Or, he would cuddle up in my lap with his front paws wrapped around my arm, and his hear on my arm and go to sleep, When he was still young, we would let him out frequently and when I was concerned that he might be straying too far, I would call him, SPIR-'IT!" He would comeback at a full gallop. With Spit in the house, I did not need an alarm clock in the morning: Every morning, Spirit would hop up on the bed at about 5 AM and tap me on the cheek, wanting to be fed.

Every year or two, he would still bite me on the hand for no reason, as thought he had to test to make sure that I would not hit him. Spirit lived to around the age of 19. I buried him in my vegetable garden. I still miss him.

You did good. Thank you for telling me about it. When they live that long, you know you have done something right. He needed you. And you needed him.

What a lot Sweet Pea has been through in his three short years! I wonder if having experienced all that has also contributed to his appreciation and adoration of you? He's beautiful, and you two have a great story together. Thanks for sharing it.

Lauren Level 8 July 19, 2020

Aw, thank you, Lauren. Maybe you have hit on why he is so affectionate. I have 3 other male cats, 2 of which were stray. I swear there is a big X on the side of my house that only cats can see. Yes, they sure do seem to appreciate a roof over their heads after they haven't had one. Thanks for your input.

Great story! It is wonderful when furry friends come with great stories. I hope you have many happy years together.

I was hoping someone would enjoy it, thank you very much!

What a sweet kitty!

Amazing how sweet after all he's been through, thanks!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:516998
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.