Agnostic.com

15 12

LINK Survey: Jews and Atheists Have More Religious Knowledge Than Christians | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

When it comes to basic knowledge about what different religions teach, Jews and atheists know more than every kind of Christian.

snytiger6 9 July 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have yet to meet a Christian that knows about the Gnostic Gospels and it seems not one has heard the poetry of Rumi much less read through the Hindu Vedas, or even the Bible come to think of it.
They don't know about Coptic or Orthodox Christianity.
It's sad when religion is just a place to hide from every form of information.

Most Christians have not even read the bible. That's why everything they do and stand for is so crazy today.

Blind faith

The dominant religion/ideological group etc will always have people that does not really care and are just inside because is too much trouble to be outside.
There are many Christians by birth, or just nominal Christians.
But when you are not inside the main religion you really have to know where you are, because the culture, institutions, services, commerce around you won't be designed for you.

"Faith: not wanting to know what is true."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

While the notion of super beings is risible in the highest, a comparison of quiz contestants doesn't do much to advance truth and understanding.

I wonder what the results would be if the independent variable was education.

Most definitely.

No kidding

bobwjr Level 10 July 23, 2020

In reference to all those preachers who speak for God, who have a private line and who can therefore dictate to the community....the Jewish religion forbids the very mention of God. You are not allowed to speak his name.

At least jews are properly classified here as a religion, and not a race of people.

The rest of the claim does not seem measurable.

SCal Level 7 July 23, 2020

That's no surprise. The more people study religion the more likely they are to see the problems with it.

Many of them have 3rd grade reading level. What do you expect?

barjoe Level 9 July 23, 2020

Few of them even read. They simply go with what their authority figures tell them without question.

No shit, Sherlock!

Religious Knowledge, now that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

yeah I can see that. I mean in all reality the Jews wrote the first half of what the Christians bastardized and we as a rule like to find part of their book where they're being hypocrites lol

redhog Level 7 July 23, 2020

"We"?

@tinkercreek we as in most atheists who like to challenge their beliefs. Try not to take everything in the world so personal.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518026
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.