Agnostic.com

42 5

Romantic relationship with a strongly religious person?

Has anyone made a romantic relationship work with someone who is strongly religious?
I consider myself spiritual, I do believe there is some higher power. Living in the south east, Bible belt area, trying my hand at online dating. But so many of the guys' profiles state "I believe in God" or some variation of that phrase. I am betting if they feel strongly enough to put it in their profile, they are going to want the same in a partner. And I'm not the church going type. But I can't imagine the religious type being ok going to church and not dragging their partner along.

Dunnottar 4 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It wouldn't work for me. My mind says to me, "Opposites in fact do not attract." I think it would be difficult to manage especially from a political perspective. As an atheist I would find it troubling to live a life with someone, in my mind, who has given into a delusion. It would probably distress me if I get the wiff of willful ignorance on an important topic. I guess depending on the person, it would be a matter of what you're willing to deal with. In this country I would find it ultra difficult to attach myself to someone who's not on the same side of the fence when it comes to politics and in this country they are inextricably linked now. So it would likely not work for me.

PaulBC Level 1 July 26, 2020

Negatory, Ghost Rider.

Nope

bobwjr Level 10 July 24, 2020

I'd have to agree with you. I can't imagine someone who is strongly religious not wanting their romantic partner to be the same or at least participate with them in their religious life. I would have a very difficult time trying to have a relationship like that. Heck, I have a difficult time with just friends who are strongly religious. But, on the other hand, love is love and that will always win.

I think it's difficult to deal with someone that is crazy in love with a religious beliefs. I had it but I will not repeat that painful experience.

Why not? As long a respect is maintained across the cosmological divide, then a relationship can commence.

Would you please give an explanation as to what this "higher power" might be and how "it" functions in the universe?

How is this relevant to my question?

@Dunnottar Never mind then.

There is no way that I could have a romantic relationship with anybody who is sufficiently mentally defective to be a strongly religious person.

I agree! When a footballer crosses himself before playing, is that cheating?

My wife wasn't outwardly religious when we dated or married. Now she's nuts. It's end times, Bill Gates wants to micro chip us mark of the beast nuts.

It's difficult and I wouldn't recommend it but if you have respect for each other you can make it work.

There would be no way in my case.

I lived for 26 years in the buckle of the Bible Belt , central Alabama, didn’t grow up there though. After that I’m so turned off by religion , I cannot fathom dating anyone religious.
I have friends that are , but they share similar morals, ethics and other important ideals . But to each his own . Everyone is different in what is important in a relationship. I don’t think it has to be a dealbreaker for every atheist.

ALeigh Level 4 July 27, 2020

Ouch .... with all due respect it sounds like undertaking a lot of un-needed stress on an issue that is already complicated. Do what you must just remember the man you date is not the same man you will know 2, 5, 10 years from now. If the both of you are just interested in exploring hormones go for it ... otherwise let the Universe have someone bump into you. Looking for an argument is not the best way to get a great date.

Babyg Level 3 July 27, 2020

I can't imagine trying to make that work, for me anyway. I'd prefer a guy who has thought about it and has decided religion isn't for him. Therefore, I'd only tap into a profile that didn't mention religion at all, for starters.

For you, since you do believe in a higher power, that might be a starting point, and a meet and greet might give you a better understanding of where they stand. They could just be looking for a good person, and not really care about belief in god, but belief in good. You never know until you have a conversation!

I noticed when on line "dating" that black women especially were looking for a church going man. ( Actually none of the the women hesitated on throwing their love of the lord out there). Why not bullshit your way through it to get laid? Most of these guys probably are, knowingly or not.

There's lots of pastors out there fucking in the name of Jesus, so why shouldn't the sheep?

twill Level 7 July 24, 2020

I have "dated" a couple of strongly religious women in my life, but openly and honestly telling them from the very beginning there would be no "relationship." Looking back, I think they were simply using me (for whatever vicarious purpose they might have had). Which was okay. There were no promises made. Oh, one of them was a Catholic girl who was trying to "save" me, but haha that didn't work, did it...

mischl Level 8 July 24, 2020

Depends what I wanted from that moment. If it was about finding some physical pleasure, a FWB situation if you will, why not. If it was for something like romantic relationship, hard pass.

"I believe in God" might be more workable than "Jesus has saved me" or some John 3:16 crap in their profile. There are lots of christians that don't necessarily go to church. When I was catholic I was constantly picking and choosing which aspects of the religion fit my life and throwing away the teachings I didn't agree with so I was christian but couldn't get along with evangelicals. It's worth a shot.

If she's that deeply religious she won't have sex. If she sleeps with me, than she's just a believer, but it could only be FWB. Basically I'd have nothing in common with her. Couldn't talk about stuff with her.

barjoe Level 9 July 24, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518264
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.