Agnostic.com

20 30

"When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims: religion. No contest. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of 10 things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these 10 things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever ’til the end of time!"

"But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He’s all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can’t handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit! … There is no God. None, not one, no God, never was." - Jesus ( Book of Judas 6:66 )

Okay, Okay, just kidding! It was George Carlin who spoke these truths, ...not a impotent phantom.

nogod4me 8 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."
Joseph Goebbels

Babyg Level 3 July 27, 2020

Always loved this. If you haven't. Watch the one about his comments on angels.

I've seen the video. Hysterically funny. As I recall George reduced the 10 commandments down to 3.
I've taken it down to 1.
"Do no harm". Well, try not to anyway.
Ok so it's not original - first rule of medicine AFAIK. But it makes a lot of sense to me.
And it's not some BS "commandment" either. More like a personal code of conduct.

Cecil B. DeMille made a movie in the 1950's (?), in Hollywood, called "The Greatest Bullshit Story Ever Told"

twill Level 7 July 24, 2020

One of my faves from the great George Carlin. He is surely missed.

George, Sam Kineson Ricky Gervais and a few others can make believers laugh at their own beliefs while us Atheists just smile saying about time the truth is told

I love this Carlin routine - one of the best

Ohub Level 7 July 24, 2020

Carlin was a genius

bobwjr Level 10 July 24, 2020

Ya gotta love George Carlin.

All powerful has no need for money or he would not be all powerful.

Not ALL religions. I'm no Buddhist, but aren't there atheist and agnostic wings of that religion?
I'm thinking of looking into it.
Anyway, who says we have to subscribe to THEIR religious beliefs?
I'VE established my OWN personal, agnostic, secular, science-based religion, subject to instantaneous revision as I absorb new input.
No one can join, sorry.
BUT you CAN send me money; I offer nothing in return but my heartfelt thanks...let me know.

Trump seems to be competing with religion for most falsehoods.

No shit, Sherlock!

Elementary shit, my dear Watson.

@nogod4me obviously.

The hypocrisy is palatable with these people.

I often hear them say, "I wish this." or "I wish that."

It's child-like thinking. I do not live by a wish system as it's pointless.

SCal Level 7 July 24, 2020

Good old George, many a true word.

UMM, Wow you noticed. Carry on.

In my deconversion process, I came to a point where the character of God as I had been taught was completely absurd. Any God who required the suspension of reason, evidence, skepticism, etc. in favor of blind, unwaivering belief was no God worth worship or even consideration. Any God requiring humans not use the brains God gave them and would punish them if they did to figured an answer that might be different than what God required was essentially evil and to be resisted, not embraced. An all knowing God would know the intent of one's heart and make allowances for reasoned doubt. Afterall, this is the requirement of the Christian God in terms of how humans are to regard other humans without knowing their intent. Humans were also to regard God this way as well with complete faith in God's goodness even in the face of terrible injustices and suffering. Why should the expectation from God be so much less In God's regard to humans with so much greater knowledge than humans possess?

I understand it all very well. Adding a meme for others to share.

Religion started out as a method of governance of society, with inexplicable events and ultimate aithority being attributed to a greater being. Remember that in early societies the lower orders seldom, if ever, saw their leader.
You cannot tell a peasant in an arid land where fuel is short, to cook certain meats, like pork, thoroughly through. But uncooked pork in hot climates can debilitate people, even kill them, so when the leaders realise this they declare it "unclean" and proscribed by "God".
Many modern lands now have well educated people who do not need such "teachings", but there are pockets in the world where that is not the case and uneducated masses living in relative poverty are still controlled by such means. A good example is found in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Indonesia ..... and the American South. Couple this in with state support for religion and a capitalistic society and.....

Petter Level 9 July 24, 2020

We could sure use some of Carlin’s good sense these days!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518274
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.