Agnostic.com

21 17

LINK Conservatives Lash Out After Biden Says Kids Should Learn About Islam in School | Beth Stoneburner | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

I am of hte opinion that it is best not to teach religion at all in schools. However if you are to teach religion in schools it should be all religions, not just one.

snytiger6 9 July 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would say it's Okay to teach about religions, but not to teach religion as if it were reality. 🙂

We need to know & understand about the whole world! Since when has ignorance helped anybody with anything?!

Only if ALL religions are treated and taught as mythology.

I have no problem with kids learning about religions in public schools as a part of cultures. The problem comes when education about certain religions become proselytizing or the education omits the negative aspects of their histories. That education about religions includes different belief systems and not just one would tend to balance away from the proslytizing aspect of dealing with the subject matter. Treating them all with equal emphasis would also be necessary.

If it's an elective for high-schools ... why not?

There are more than 2998 religions in the world. How can they teach all religions?

I believe the vast majority of religious believers are encompassed within a few major religous traditions - Christianity, Islam, Buddhist, Hinduism, and a few others I'm not recalling. These major religions could be consentrated on since they are what most people would encounter. Less prominent religions could perhaps be covered to a lesser extent.

No doubt, the great detail of each of the major religions would need to be slimmed over since Christianity has in excess of some 5,000 denominations worldwide, and every other major world religion has divisions and denominations. To cover each division and denomination just within Christianity would be nearly impossible much less including other religions and their devisions and schisms.

They don't want to teach all of them, only theirs. Y'know, the only "true" one.

That kind of implies that they shouldn't teach ANY then, huh?

You can teach history by tracing the influence 9f religions, especially European history, for one example.

Of course they should. World religions should be thought at school. I went to school in Sweden and we were thought about different religions.

Religious studies should be taught in all schools as an academic subject, the history and theory behind each of the major religions and philosophies should be covered. No one religion should be given any credence over an other, or regarded as being true, but all merely regarded as human belief systems. It is better to have knowledge of all in my opinion, as denial of knowledge breeds ignorance.

@Toonces Science is quite a separate subject and Is not at risk from religious studies being taught.

@Toonces Of course, what has that got to do with what I posted. I’m not advocating the teaching of creationism.

@Toonces Creationism isn't actually science.

@Marionville

Here in the US, the Supreme Court ruled creationism a religion. Its supporters revised it a little, called it scientific creationism, and started the game again. The dispute went up the legal ladder again and SCOTUS said it too was religion.

@yvilletom Ah..once again I’m glad we in the UK have not followed you down that rabbit hole.

@Toonces @yvilletom @snytiger6 ..Let me be very clear....under NO circumstances am I advocating the teaching of creationism to children...anywhere, and especially not on any school curriculum! It is neither fact nor science and should never be presented as an alternative to evolution as part of any science studies.

@Marionville I understand that, though I may tease you about sending us your Puritans.

How can one pick a specific religion and omit all the others .Unless all religions are taught then no religions should be taught on my tax money .Why should I support this stupid religion and not all the others .That is why we have private schools so they can teach this crap.

Correct on all counts

No. There are too many other impoetant subjects to learn. Time should not be wasted on any religon.

All religions or no religions. American Conservatives want only their religion taught in public schools. Jesus was a Jew and not an Evangelical.

Isn't that course called history?

Yeah, when I was in high school we never covered or talked about the Ottoman Empire, which is a pretty important part of history.

@snytiger6 when I was in school we studied history, with mentions of all religions, myths and legends.

Quick, color me surprised over this before I speak and dispel the magic of the moment.

I agree! In my opinion they should be woven into the history curriculum. Instead of memorizing the dates of battles a more thoughtful look at when and where religions were created and what they believe would be more useful to attempting to understand the current state of the world.

Oh, some of the battles are quite important to understanding current political situations. E.g. the battle of Kosovo is what forms a major sticking point between the Serbs and the Kosovarians. There are many other similar examples, but I'm becoming a lightweight (only one beer and taking me a bit too much time to process a thought).

@PadraicM some are pivotal true. Speaking from my own experience - I found little use for temporarily being able to regurgitate the dates of civil war battles.

Is that as a separate subject or just a topic in social studies?

The trouble with some 'religions' is that they don't seem to understand that religion is a general and collective term. It is NOT specific to one sect.

And as you teach them be sure to expose all the evidence they have for the reality of their god. It really won’t take long.

We should teach history so we don’t have to repeat the mistakes of the past like the left is pushing us to do today.

Evolution vs. creationism in schools came up early in this discussion. For more info than you want, search on “ten cases on creationism in schools.”

All religion's is right.

If you teach one then teach all, I prefer none

bobwjr Level 10 July 26, 2020

I do feel that "history of religions" teaches you A Lot about history in general

@AnneWimsey agree very much just worry about indoctrination

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518917
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.