Agnostic.com

21 7

So first post. Woo. So much pressure um. Well first off. Hey? They say in supposed to put a question so i guess for those of you coming out of religious families (like me) any advice on how to deal with suddenly being cut off from family/friends? Im trying here fam.

PixieStyx 4 July 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Welcome Amy, I try to not ever let politics, or religion come between family, friends, and me. Neither do I take crap from anyone for anything....but if there is going to be withdrawing, it will have to be them...I only am responsible for my own actions. It works for me. Some dis-owned me, and when they found I loved, and cared for them anyway came back. Some didn't, or maybe just haven't yet...I always leave the door open. Good luck to you....stay strong.

You don't say which religion you are escaping from. Some religious sects are extremely intolerant of apostates. I hope your family does not adhere to one of those.
Anyway, good luck to you and enjoy your newfound freedom to think for yourself.

My parents are Jehovah's Witness. I say so in my bio but forgot to mention it in my post, sorry.

Welcome, find friends here

bobwjr Level 10 July 26, 2020

Perfectly compendious. 😊

Disclaimer: I'm the local grouch.

At level three it isn't your first post.

It's good to remind self righteous Christians that they're SUPPOSED to love one another, even their neighbors. If that doesn't annoy them enough, you're better off without them. (There are passages in the old testament that says they ought kill the heathens and sell daughters . . . silly nonsense like that).

Of course you could test out the waters with these gems:

Umm.. Not to be argumentative but this was DEFINITELY my first post on here. The fact that I've leveled up since making it doesn't change that.

As for speaking reminding any of them of anything. They don't want to hear from me at all and trying to force a conversation could be dangerous to my personal wellbeing. So that's not really an option. My time with them is at an end.

@PixieStyx LOL! I'm nearly to level seven and I have NEVER made an original post! I don't know how, and don't feel like learning. 😛

@PixieStyx Oh, peshaw! Be argumentative. It'll do you a world of good.

What, the little darlings that pose as relatives won't even wave hello to you? Sounds like sorry cusses to me.

All you have to do is click on someone's name to see how many posts they've made. You've made 1295.

@JeffMurray Number one cat trick: made you look!

What am I doing with 772 fans? I should hold a rally if any of them would darken my door step or buy me a dinner. Honestly, it's rare I check my own profile.

I don't come from a religious family, but I come from a very fractured family.

My best perspective is this. There are going to be people that come into your lives that love you and treat you like you wish your family did. Hold on to these people and love them with all you got. Because at the end of the day, the only ties you "really have" with blood family is coincidence. There is no guarantee they will treat you well, but of course if they do.. see the rule above.... love them with all you got.

I'm very sorry to read of your broken home, fully understand this thread to be a welcoming/experience lending opportunity, & predominantly agree with your sentiment.. however, there's something about the way you say: "Because at the end of the day, the only ties you 'really have' with blood family is coincidence" (so matter-of-factly), that I feel compelled to retort.

Are you simply gonna ignore genetics & forgo every instance you've had someone similar, someone familiar, to share your time with?. no?. then take it from someone utterly adopted.. count your blessings & speak for yourself.

@nyrdybyrd I was familiar with my birth father and my adopted father. My natural brother and my friends I call brothers. My adopted father was more a brother to me than my natural. My friends more my brothers than my natural. If you were not looking to find fault you should have noticed my saying hey, if your natural family is this, love them just as hard. My mother was not always this, but we suffered through our struggles and have a real love and respect for each other now.

@TaylorWalston
I'm quite glad you've those mentioned to avail your days.

Re "If you weren't looking to find fault you should have noticed my saying...":

I not only noticed your saying such, I acknowledged it (n.b. predominantly agree with your sentiment). I'll ask again for you to mind your propriety & not trespass upon my intentionality. Thank you. 😊

I agree with your point, Taylor, which, I believe, was NOT to embrace utter ignorance of your birth origins, which is understandably an emotional gaping hole for many adoptees in closed adoptions.
No, instead you were rightly pointing out that blood ties do NOT automatically equal understanding and affirming support. I have known way too many people who spent years trying to gain acceptance and approval from bio families who, for whatever reason, were NEVER going to give it. It eventually becomes a matter of self-degradation to keep begging for approval from the same persons who time after time emotionally burn you.

@MikeInBatonRouge yeah, my own brother threatened to kill me if I showed up to see my birth father on his death bed. Why? Because his wife did not want me showing up with a message from my mom that was simply, thank you for the gift of my children. So she told him a bunch of lies and he was happy to be her pawn. It was out of state travel for me and I could not even get a deputy to go with me just to avoid any trouble.

Welcome to the asylum, very few will bite unless you ask nicely. Welcome to being out and open about your thoughts. Maybe the best advice is to let them slowly drift away and find new friends, those can be as close as family. If your family ever gets past the religious brainwashing they have suffered, they can reach out to you. But I am also one who believes in not just burning bridges to the ground, but mining the shores to make it difficult to rebuild the bridges again.

I lost family and friends when I left the Moron (oops, Mormon) religion. It depressed me for a while, but time heals such wounds. I now enjoy life more than ever before, and I have new family and friends who are much better than the previous ones. Hang in there. Keep a positive attitude. Look for the good things in life. 🙂

Hi Amy, welcome to the community ☺

Holy crap. If your pfp is to believed you are way to pretty to want to talk to me. Lmao. We are not worthy!! Jk Jk. But yeah

@PixieStyx that is a photo of Miss C.J. Miles.. Not a personal photo of myself but we are closely alike in appearance.. That's why I chose the pic.. I don't post personal pics of myself on the internet ☺

The two ex-JWs that I know well were also cut off from family and friends when they came out. That is, initially they were cut off.

Both found, gradually, that some family members were less strident than others. The official, information-only phone calls gave way to broader conversation. For both, siblings were the first to break the silence (maybe because siblings feel less of a responsibility than parents do? I don't know.)

So, time will probably soften some of these responses... eventually. I would normally suggest that, until then, you should try to get to know people outside of that circle - but that's much harder in a pandemic! So...I guess online is your best option.

In the spirit of meeting like-minded folks online, then: I'm pleased to meet you!

This is unfortunately probably not the case for me. My older cousin left the church almost twelve years ago and we weren't even allowed to say her name growing up. Im not even sure where she is, I had thought to contact her for advice and also to get to know the only other unbrainwashed family member but no luck. I was super little when she left but I still clearly remember my mom telling me she was dead to us.

Welp, I'm not here to tell you all will be fine with your family, as in my case (a Southern Baptist background on par with Jehovah's Witnesses in their zealotry), it was not.. just wanted to supply a little realism for your expectations & offer assistance unto you (should you so desire). I'm new here as well (my home forum shut down a week or so ago), am a writer with an insatiable appetite for knowledge (both philosophical and scientific) & can be reached by simply clicking the Caterpillar.

Edit: Oh, I guess it's my name that is clicked & not the image (like I said: new too 😅) but aeeehh, close enough.

Welcome! When you consider the condemnation and small mindedness you've escaped from, it's not so hard. I don't miss it!

Welcome to the site, can't answer the question but someone most likely can.

I sort of disagree with the advice "you are better off without them", but empathize with the grief and loneliness that may accompany the sudden loss of family. I would continue to call, or send letters, at least to let them know you still live and how you're doing. Remember your cousin no one can find? What if your sister or uncle or nephew decide next year they'd also like to depart the family religion. Maybe you'll find allies down the road. And family is family. So despite what they might say, I think there's always a mothers love or fathers devotion if push came to shove.

Look for ways to connect with others in things you do find interesting. Best of luck to you!

Your family will come around! It may take awhile, Be yourself and it may be hard but humor works wonders!
Congrats on your double barreled outing! that took real guts but the feeling of freedom in your heart will ride you through the hypocrisy ingrained in our culture!

It can be a bit o fa shock to have to create a whole new social system instead of letting a church do it for you. As humans evolved we evolved as "group animals" meanign we developed instincts to gather in groups for safety. That human instinct is still somewhat active, and people generally feel better when theyu belong to a largee group, which is the one positive function religion provides.

As for suggestions. Before the Pandemic i suggested people check out meetup.com to find peopel with similar interests. Most meetup groups are on pause right now though.

I still suggest the strategy of finding people with similar interests. Thyat may be why you are on this site. However, what ever your interests are... cay hikes, bicycling, cooking, movies, happy hour or whatever, jus tlook for groups and peopel who share your interests.

I'm a misanthrope at heart but that would not stop me from talking your leg off. Family and friends may come around. If they do not, screw them. At least you can finally see how they must have thought all along. Our world is not a nice place.

Join a local atheist/humanist group and make new friends.
If your old Bible-thumping friends don't want to be your friends any more, you are better off without them.

BD66 Level 8 July 26, 2020

Some of them may come around.

Howdy and welcome here.

Welcome! You can forgive, but never forget. Given time some of them may want be in your life.

Need more info.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:519039
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.