Agnostic.com

12 8

God's True Purpose

The way I see it, God's only real use is as an escape from death. If people weren't so afraid to die, would they need religion? All the shit about needing his moral guidance and craving the wisdom of his word is just a smokesceen to try and cover the fact that if you withdraw the promise of eternal life, people probably wouldn't need God at all. It's just a fear of death and needing God to circumvent it that drives the whole thing.

Think about it, how compelling would God be without the promise of eternal life in paradise or salvation from eternal torment? Without the etrnal life cookie, God's got nothing.

Sgt_Spanky 8 Aug 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love this!! Hell Insurance!!!
I remember the gotcha question at the end of the preacher's message. "If you were to die tonight, where would you spend eternity?"

I often wondered why fear was used by these so-called messengers of GAWD!!

Since any concept of there being a God/s is, imo, pure fiction at best then, ergo, there is NO truth in fiction and fiction is there only for the purposes of entertainment so this 'purpose' of God must then be there purely for its entertainment value.
But it escapes me as to what, exact, entertainment value there is in a God with a purpose that promises Life after Death but can never deliver on such a promise.

I think people can't handle the idea that their personal identity will one day literally no longer exist. So, all manner of made up, hoped for, feel good explanations have been created to deny the fact of temporary existence.

Most people don't fear death.. They fear the manner of their death or the pain involved in dying...
Correction: maybe not most..

Good point

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 10, 2020

I think you got it. 🙂

Yes but how much of that fear of death is artificial anyway, a fear stoked up by religion, with stories of hell etc. . It was I suspect a small fear once, but they managed to align it with the even bigger fear, fear of the unknown so that it was yet another unknown they could pose as answering.

Since god does not exist, his true purpose is anything that the criminals need an accomplice for.

I understood from a source I once read that the concept of heaven and eternal life within Judaism was adopted from contact with the Persian religion Zoroastrianism. Before these concept became a part of Judaism, the Hebrews believed the soul went to Sheol where it resided for a while before sort of disappearing.

If that is religion's/God's true purpose, it doesn't seem to be working. The religious are just as afraid of death as anyone else - maybe more so.

Since god is not real, I don't think it has a purpose. However, religion has many purposes usually based on ignorance, greed, and arrogance.

JimG Level 8 Aug 9, 2020

God has a huge purpose, he's the very foundation on which the belief is based. It's the promises he has made to the believers that inspires their faith and it's the promise of being with him eternally in some afterlife paradise that motivates them.

Take him out of the equation and religion has nothing to offer anyone.

@Sgt_Spanky The god in your scenario has a purpose like a hammer or a weapon does. I was thinking more in terms of a human with their purpose being a goal or intent.

In that case god's purpose for some is as a tool to manipulate and control other humans. For others the purpose is quite often to avoid death, but it's also to explain the unknown, avoid responsibility, etc. There are a vast number purposes and combinations of purposes among its believers.

Again with purpose, the most important use of God (God has no purpose) is to for men to claim authority over other people.
It's nothing more than a tool for mans misrule over man.
That's why Trump wanted a picture of him holding up the ultimate magic charm, the Bible, then the dolt claimed that his opponent would hurt religion, hurt God. Never has there been a more transparent indication of what religion has always been about.

Control is the purpose of religion, the purpose of God and his all powerful magic is to allow religion to get away with making promises it can't keep, like eternal life, to keep the faithful hooked so they can be fleeced for as long as they live.

Quite so. God is a none existent authority, who can be bought in by his human controllers to end any debate in their favour.

In my opinion, the true purpose of god(s) was to explain natural phenomenon to primitive, ignorant humans. All the rest has been added through time as necessary to accomplish specific goals of the ruling and controlling classes.

Maybe to begin with but science has answered the origin of life so if that was the only purpose of religion it would've died out with the understanding we have now. It survives and thrives now on a false promise of life everlasting that many people are eager to be;lieve.

@Sgt_Spanky I did not say it was the ONLY purpose, just the true purpose, the starting point if you will. God has been a convenient vessel for all the rest that has been attributed to IT, including an afterlife. Science has NOT answered the origin of life. Science has answered much about what has happened AFTER life began.

@jlynn37 Which is sufficient to conclude it was not the result of a supernatural being willing it into existence. So far as the bible is concerned, its explanation of a magical origin has been debunked.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:523094
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.