Agnostic.com

40 13

I get the idea that people usually call themselves Agnostic out of fear that using the name Atheist will get them into social trouble anywhere on Earth.

grbosworth 4 Aug 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Personally, I call myself an Atheist when and where ever I can simply because if others do not like my Atheism it is THEIR problem not mine.
I am 100% PROUD to be an Atheist.

I believe there is a difference in meaning. Atheists believe there definitely is no god. However, agnostics believe that nobody knows whether or not there is a god. I am agnostic.

That's right. The more educated we become, especially in science, the more sure we are that nothing is 100% certain. Even the Law of Gravity isn't always correct, in a black hole or inside an atom, for instance. So a prudent person always leaves the door open, just a little.

I used to believe that atheists took the position that there is no God. Today, I accept the definition that an atheist is not a theist. Lol. It's funny to me to say it that way but not-theist or without theism is the literal definition of atheist. I don't accept that there is any evidence for a god therefore I have no reason to believe in a god, therefore I am atheist. I make no claim about the existence of a god or lack thereof.

By the way, I'm also not a big fan of labels. People can make assumptions so it's just better to spell out your position.

Atheist only. I spent too many years fooling myself that Agnostic was relevant

twill Level 7 Aug 10, 2020

I guess I should have gotten use to the fact that this old trope is just going to pop up again, and again.

The difference between Atheist, and Agnostic. Is, one is about what you know, and the other is about what you believe. or not - Believe. At least in definition.

I'm sure there are more that one reason, Ok, more that a bajillion reasons anyone will champion what ever 'title' for lack of a better word.
Some, like me don't use either for the reason of, why do I need one? Would you need a name for some one that doesn't collect stamps.
But if pressed, will go with an Agnostic - Atheist. Because I don't in any believe in any such god nonesense, and Agnostic, because , well, I can't prove it either way.
That's just my .02 cents.

But my real thoughts on this is, what the f%ck does it matter to any one else why, or what word they use other than themselves.

I self-identify as atheist. I guess could say "agnostic atheist" but that would just prolong the conversation..

Beyond that many calling themselves "agnostic" seem to think they are still a believer. I do not believe in woo of any kind.

No.
The philosophical position of atheist and agnostic are different, but for a good approximation and not much explanation atheist is good.
For practical purposes they are the same.
Atheist is a telling that divinities does not exist.
Agnostic is a position that tells that even discussing about this is useless and I will simply not discuss veracity of non falsifiable claims.

Meh. If someone doesn't have a problem with me calling myself atheist, then I don't have a problem with them calling themselves agnostic. Both are fine terms.

Except here .

i can't help wondering where you get this impression. it doesn't jibe with any experience i have ever had, nor do i find it to be the case among folks on this site.

i will add that while agnostic dot com may have named itself thusly in order to be inclusive in some way, i suspect it named itself thusly because atheist dot com was already taken.

g

In most places where atheism is stigmatized, labeling yourself an agnostic will still probably get you in trouble, as long as you don't proclaim your support for the populace's favorite religions.

I've stated often why I am an agnostic. I do lean towards atheist because even seeing something after death may not be real. A trick of the brain, etc. No one can make me believe in ANY man made up gods and if a god were to show up, honestly, how could he/she/it prove being a god. Sure, there may be superior beings out there, but a god? I see no way to prove a god of everything. In the same respect, I can't disprove something I cannot see, feel, experience without death. And, then, there is the circle, I'm dead, but am I facing god?

"I get the idea that people usually call themselves Agnostic out of fear that using the name Atheist will get them into social trouble anywhere on Earth."

I can't decide because I can't prove anything at all due to advanced nihilism and social trouble is but a distant memory on my home planet.

There is nothing wrong with people being atheist what ever makes people happy with their freedom of choice

I don't think the average person that would be worried for your soul for not believing in god knows what agnostic really means. They may have heard of the term but they already know it's related to non-belief and their mind will shut down anyway. An intelligent person who knows the difference probably won't care either way. It's not like you're going around telling people you're a satanist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:523181
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.