Agnostic.com

12 5

LINK Catholic voters' impossible choice

Interesting. Former Catholics?

IAJO163 8 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know my catholic relatives (one set of an aunt, uncle and cousins) plan to vote for Trump... again.

Sad your family voted for tRump the first time. Now their voting for tRump a second time. Does any of your family live on social security?

They are very narrow-minded Catholics.

@xenoview Not my birth family, but a set of an aunt, uncle and cousins. I updated the post to reflect that.

When abortion becomes an issue in elections it appears to me we have went a little too far.

Abortion is such a bullshit phony issue that anyone that bases their vote on that as a single issue voter is an idiot. Because in essence voting for the Repubs that oppose abortion amounts to mere worship of the womb and the fetus to the exclusion of all else. Any of these pro-life voters with an ounce of intellectual honesty would see and know that the anti-abortion Repubs, assuming they are even sincere about outlawing abortion (which they aren't in most cases), they are also not pro-life in any other way regarding life after birth (with the exception of euthanasia) as they oppose policies that aid children, provide healthcare for poor kids, fund education for poor kids, and they also support the death penalty. They are liars and hypocrites in how their definition of pro-life is so limited it is laughable.

Spot on.

I was raised catholic. Nearly every one I've ever known has been a monumental hypocrite.
I think that holds true for adherents of practically every religion known to humanity.

It seems clear the anti-abortion Republicans will vote Trump because they are generally one-issue voters.

They also usually have double digit IQs.

@TomMcGiverin That's a good bet.

So much for not being 'part of this world'.

Catholics need to turn the corner on this birth control thing, just like they turned the corner on evolution.

but they haven't turned the corner they don't believe in evolution

@whiskywoman The only thing I can remember them cracking on was condom use. Which is odd considering the world's most prolific mass murderer (Mother Teresa) was so against them she caused the death of millions by preaching their use was sinful.

@whiskywoman Oh the official church accepts evolution. In places like Kentucky, the church simply turns a blind eye to that ignorance as long as the cash flows. Hell, the Catholic church runs one of the largest Earth bound telescopes with scientists doing real science shit - like looking for the end of the Universe (because maybe god is there).

@whiskywoman, @JeffMurray Every time i see that bitch's name, i cringe. Teresa was a vile, money whore for the church. She once posed for a photo with Baby Doc of Haiti and called him a good man, while taking 3 million from the mouths of starving Haitians.

what choice? to rape an altar boy or not?

Joseph Tobin is an imbecile, and the Catholics are so predictable!

The bishop is probably a closeted gay. Whether biden is a good enough catholic matters far less than his policy positions which are more conservative than not. The democratic platform is going backwards. I was never that good of a catholic even though I tried to be in a religious order several times.

Sad that it matters, choose the candidate that will actually help the people, religion and all other nonsense be damned.

Most Catholics in this country are secular. They use birth control. Most of them wind up getting divorced like everybody else. When President Kennedy ran 1960, the critics said he'd take his orders from the Vatican. Now they want Joe Biden to do just that. This is bullshit that Catholics should vote Republican. Most of them don't.

What Catholics do is not important when it comes to how they think and vote. They can justify pretty much anything, probably with the thought that voting Republican to try to end abortion "makes up for" anything wrong they did along the way.

@JeffMurray I'm pro choice. If men could get pregnant there would never be any laws against abortion.

@barjoe I agree 100%. Just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was insinuating anything about your beliefs in my comment though.

@JeffMurray I do agree...it seems to me, that the lack of morality in religion, is what drives the religious abortion "debate" (IDK what else to call it)

@barjoe exactly did you see the outrage in texas when it was suggested that rapists should be castrated or that men that were serial baby makers be stopped with a vasectomy .... you can't make a man change his reproductive choices ....only women

@whiskywoman That's what proves in spades that outlawing abortion is not really about preventing abortions and saving fetuses, it's about controlling women and putting them back in their place before they had the vote and the other rights they gained in the last century. In other words, to turn the clock back on women like in The Handmaid's Tale.

@TomMcGiverin I know you don't see any of those twists offering to support the babies or adopt them its all about control and keeping women poor and without options

@whiskywoman You got it. A hundred years ago that's how it was for most women.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:525117
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.