Agnostic.com

26 10

Growing up in a Christian home it was branded in my head literally from birth to "Love one another."
I now see that indoctrination/ brainwashing as a handicap.
Do those that are hateful and malicious toward others deserve love?
A child whose defense of hatred is love is destined to suffer.

Unity 7 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I actually believe in kindness to all more now that when I was a Christian. I look back, and I was taught the same but the examples were "Love thy neighbor unless they are__." But my kindness does have limits when the person receiving my kindness is an ass. I do see your point though and think that can be a dangerous handicap.

One of the problems with religious education and upbringing, is that religion deliberately sets unachievable standards so that people will fail, and then have to turn to the religion for help and forgiveness. Unfortunately one side effect of that is, that children then grow up in a world filled with adults, who profess absolute love, kindness etc. but then go out and kick homeless people. ( That does happen, though I use an extreme case to make the point.) What the children then learn from observing their community, is that insincerity is normal, and to set little value on truthfulness, but to esteem shallow expression highly.

But that suits religions because of course, because truth is not what they want to sell.

Our overlords want us docile.
I'm through buying it.

The brainwashing is very effective

Being instructed by your parents to love one another may be a Christian tenet but it’s not exclusively so, it’s also what I was told by my parents and they were non-believers. I have to disagree with the idea that showing love is a sign of being weak, in fact I think it’s quite the reverse. Of course there is a difference between being loving towards others and having it reciprocated, and showing love towards those who are hostile and hateful to us. We are perfectly entitled to stand up to them and disengage ...we don’t need to become hateful towards them, that would only change us into someone we are not, but we can just walk away and not allow them to hurt us. There’s is usually a reason people act in a hateful way, there’s usually a back story we don’t know about or they have a psychopathy. Mostly it is people who are damaged or are hurting, who are most likely to act this way. I can’t see that being taught to love can ever be a handicap, but along side that, we need to tell our children that they will find out that not everyone will be loving back, and walking away at times can be the best defence we have.

Well done.

Maybe those who are malicious and hateful towards others do not know any better. They may just be the product of their environment.

I think all children necessarily lack the experience and intellectual sophistication to understand love at that level, but as adults, it is possible to learn. Even then, it isn’t easy or “natural”. It requires training and practice.

skado Level 9 Aug 24, 2020

Your statement is logical .

Isn't this also found in the consensus on humanism?

. . . Hate only hurts the person who carries it in their heart. you cannot control what others do however you can control how you choose to react or not react.
. . . I remembers the teaching of my master from when I was younger, "people will never remember how right you were, they will only remember how kind you were "
. . . There were times growing up when I made a valuable ally from someone I thought was mean

Hate born of bad experience helps protect from a repeat of that bad experience. Hate or loathing or disgust protects from the kind of people @Unity is talking about. To confront these types with love is even worse than tolerance.

You tell that to George Floyd's family.

@bingst . . . what gives you the right to go around expecting to be treated like a princess? grow up, there are other people and they have as much right to be here as you do and believe it or not they could be having a bad day because their mother just died or they got a divorce, who knows what is happening with other people and why they seem like a "meany pants" how does being mean and hateful to someone who doesn't behave in a way that you approve fix anything or make the world a better place? try growing up and try being tolerant

@LovinLarge . . . what is your point? ALL police officers are racist??? only people of color suffer misfortune??? . . . like I said, grow up

@thundergod You seem to have read a lot more into my reply than I said. Or you didn't bother really reading it.

Negative emotions exist in us for a reason; they serve functions. For example pain is a signal that something is wrong. Sometimes you need to cut harmful people out of your life in order to protect yourself.

kdmom Level 6 Aug 25, 2020

Understanding others is better than just loving them, as in the whole "love thy neighbor" routine. Love is a feeling and a flaky one at that. Understanding, which brings a greater reward, takes a lot more effort than love and doesn't fade with one's mood.

Are they mutually exclusive... one or the other, but not both??

I didn’t count how many times nuns told me to turn the other cheek.

I realized I had only two cheeks and knew I would ignore them.

Simple answer, no they don't. But hatred consumes you. My take very simplified is never hate when you can forgive, never forget though, this out of personal wellbeing. Even for people you can barely stand to tolerate because of their deeds, I always say, let justice take care of the punishment. I know it is difficult, and sometimes justice never comes or arrives too late. It's just that when you really hate, that negative feeling will make your inner peace and joy disappear.

Christians cherry pick. When I saw your post I immediately thought of the old Byrd’s song “Turn! Turn! Turn!”

… And a time to every purpose, under heaven
A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing

This was taken from Ecclesiastes 3.

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:
5 a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Biblical advice is whatever a person looks for in that book. IMHO a bit of common sense would be more beneficial. Forgive if the person is worth it and don’t get suckered in a second time. Loving an asshole just sets a person up for pain and disappointment.

gearl Level 8 Aug 24, 2020

Yeah, I was raised in a Christian home for almost my whole life. The "love of god" that they are supposed to have is reserved for others in their denomination or those that agree with them. Everyone else gets hatred.

All behavior is learned. Therefore, all abhorrent behavior is learned from an extremely sick society that perpetuates abhorrent behavior. Most people are f'd up by their parents, through no fault of their own, and never recover from it.

It is important to not seek vengeance, but to instead find the source of abhorrent behavior in order to correct and learn from it. If you exact revenge; you may feel better in the moment, but it helps noone.

Just remember, "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." - MasterYoda

SCal Level 7 Aug 23, 2020

On fear and anger, Yoda is wrong.

Fear gives my body the energy I need to flee a danger. Anger gives my body the energy I need to resist a danger.

@yvilletom

In a fight or flight situation, not in premeditated scenarios. Clearly what is being discussed here.

But if you want to detract from the obvious message, in order to try to seem right about something; enjoy your hollow victory.

@SCal Yoda could have identified the scenario but did not.

@yvilletom

Imagine being the person arguing on the behalf of anger, fear and hate.

I'd much rather be Yoda.

@SCal

Most interesting. I would argue on behalf of fear and anger. Not hate.

To fear, add ???

To anger, add information and peaceful change may result.

IF the believers actually did what they preach instead of merely cherry-picking then they would be far, far better people imo.
E.g. They preach about Peace and Loving one another BUT in reality they are, more often than not, the snidest, snakiest, meanest, back-stabbers of all time in my experiences.

I see this fully. In order to get along with everyone limit or completely kill you beliefs that cause you and others stress. If any belief system is stressful you do not want it and you do not want it on your fellow man.

"Love one another."

Sounds good to me.

I can love someone when they have proven themselves worthy. If you treat me bad, I return the favor.

I think love is based in part on respect. If a person doesnt' earn respect, they most often aren't worthy of love.

An answer can be only as good as it’s question. A question of deservedness is a question that asks us to make a moral judgment, and has no scientifically verifiable answer.

A more objectively answerable question might be... do they need love? And not only do I think there’s ample scientific evidence to support the claim that all humans need love, I strongly suspect the bad behavers are more likely to have been shortchanged of their fair share at some critical period in their development. Maybe they need it more than anyone.

skado Level 9 Aug 24, 2020

There are parts of the Bible that actually say that loving of others only applies to fellow believers.

The hateful and malicious deserve to be avoided.

They don't deserve love, but they do deserve to get ignored. Those that resort to hate seek an audience, as attention to their deeds fuels the fire so to speak. Once they realize so many others are ignoring them, maybe just maybe it will dawn on them that their negative actions do indeed carry consequences.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527340
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.