Agnostic.com

18 5

Identities, mainly race, gender and sexual orientation, are today's substitute for religion.

[harpers.org]

PBuck0145 7 Aug 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We founded a country on the basis of that our differences are what we as americans derive strength from. It says on the quarter in latin... Out of many, we are one...

I don't give a flying shit about what race, identity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, favorite animal, color,political party, sexual position, or ice cream flavor you happen to be...

What I care about is how you treat others. Your actions are what define you. So stop with the he said she said bs. Stop with democrats and republicans. Stop all the hate and bigotry.

The one thing that makes us the same as everyone else... Is that we are human. We can either grow and prosper together as a people. Or we can die in the desert alone...

We are a broken nation capable of so much. We hold so much potential... And we sit here day after day squabbling like dogs. Wake the fuq up. Read between the lines. Shut off the tv. And go outside and take a good luck at our problems.. If your going to judge others... You should take a good hard look at yourself first. Nuff' said.

Another substitute for religion is cosmology’s Big Bang model. Each has millions of words but lacks evidence.

i always read comments from the bottom up to see if a change in opinions is taking place. After reading a few here I’m hoping there’s no thought police force forming.

The First Amendment has not been repealed.

Bullshit just a excuse for racism

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 28, 2020

Nonsense. Religion requires worshiping an invisible deity.

This is not true with race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

AND, only religion can be chosen. The others one is born with.

Religions usually have sets of conclusions ( for example the 10 commandments) which they try to shame people into keeping faith constant. I do not think that "Identities, mainly race, gender and sexual orientation," are in any state to reach widespread conclusions yet .They are still recruiting supporters yet . They are still fishers of men(and women) to their causes which often clash.

No. Religion has myth based dogma. It stands alone.

Leelu Level 7 Aug 28, 2020

I think everyone has a tendency to be dogmatic when they think they have an idea that they want preserved. This does not mean that YOU are dogmatic and inflexible but many adults are dogmatic at keeping Father Christmas going.

Climate Change too.

BD66 Level 8 Aug 27, 2020

How can something substitute bullshit?

Naaaah. I think food is for many, just look around. KFC, MacDonald, etc, etc.

If you see any evidence of your claim in the article you linked; you're reading comprehension skill is rather poor.

JimG Level 8 Aug 27, 2020

As far as race goes, we are the human race with different skin colors. Gender is what your born with, and sexual orientation is a choice.

Sexual orientation is not a choice.

@Deb57
Sexual orientation is a choice. If a man loves another man, that is a choice.

@xenoview really? So you chose to be heterosexual? Or did you also choose to be homosexual? Perhaps you chose to be a know it all moron who thinks he knows more than the scientists who have disproven your erroneous belief.

@Mofo1953
Proved evidence to back your claim.

@xenoview When did you choose your orientation? If it is a choice; you could just change your mind about which gender your attracted to, right?

@Mofo1953
Thank you for the evidence.

@JimG , What do you think bisexual people do? Don't they choose the gender their attracted too?

@xenoview how old were you when you "chose" your sexual orientation?

To review, you made factual assertions with no supporting evidence, and when someone challenged you, YOU asked HIM for evidence. I would have told you that you had to prove something before I disproved it, but he obliged you. And you think a "thank you" is sufficient?

Further, not only are you wrong about sexual orientation being a choice, you're wrong about being born with a gender. Please feel free to retract your original statement.

Your opinion piece doesn't support your thesis and your thesis is just as false as it was when you posted it yesterday.

Race, gender, and sexual orientation are ALL matters that are NOT "choices".
Religion IS a choice.

@TheMiddleWay Genuine question: Did you choose your gender? When/how?

@TheMiddleWay I don't believe it is. Nature makes mistakes.

@KKGator Of course you're right, although because gender is a social construct there is no mistake involved.

@TheMiddleWay gender is Not a choice, what a nasty thing to say! Used as "justification" for horrible Conversion Therapy BS!

@TheMiddleWay I think that's utter crap. I do not accept that gender is a "social construct".
Not one bit. I think it's completely disingenuous to assert that it is.

@KKGator I don't know if you're interested or not, but I found this article on gender helpful.

[medicalnewstoday.com]

@TheMiddleWay Gender is not a choice and there are numerous members of this website whose sex is different than their gender who could prove this.

[genderspectrum.org]

@TheMiddleWay No, one's gender is not always different than their sex, so you can shove your attitude. I can't find your second quote, but just because something can change doesn't necessarily mean it's a choice.

I really have no interest in anything you have to say and would appreciate it if you didn't address me again.

That's one of the dumbest comments I've heard in a year of profoundly stupid comments.
I for one need no substitution for religion, that's the point the entire enterprise is unnecessary.
If LGBT people or minority people work toward better representation that in no way indicates they're substituting if for religion it just means they're busy. While white supremacist just count their hobby in as part of Christianity since Christianity is anything the person professing it says it is.

There are many things created that are dividing even more human beings on top of religion and politics, some were already mentioned. Some of them are complicating things unnecessarily. People...

I find it amazing. Before you put anything into religion I feel you would have to have a background in religion.

Not really, however there is a movement to turn identity politics in a cult if for no other reason than to shun and hate the heretic and the mis-believer.
The desire to Hate is always the real reason and motivation behind the preacher against "sin"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:528420
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.